NWI INGO General Post - Part 21 - We can offically drink da moonshine!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Yea, the guy told me, "everything's gone up, materials and labor, as you well know". He knows I own the printshop. But, he's basically a one-man show, and he's talking about supplying drywall, a few plumbing fittings, and labor.

I figured at his lower cost, $12k, he's planning on making $1000/day labor if it takes 10 workdays, or $500/day labor if he's estimating 20 work days. I don't pay myself that much, and I can do this kind of work, I just don't like to.

I'm planning on upscale tiled walls and shower, and shower glass from someone like Schererville Glass, so I'm probably looking at $5K in materials, with nice vanity, etc...

I've got a couple more outfits to get bids from, but this first guy .... :nono: .

We just updated a small bathroom for about $5K. That covered labor and materials for a new tile floor, new vanity/sink/faucets, new toilet, lights, misc. fixtures, minor drywall repairs and painting. We left the tub/shower intact and just changed the fixtures on it. My wife worked hard to keep the cost down but it's difficult in the current environment.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I shouldn't be in this confab for... reasons

You can get some really good prices on fixtures at Menard. They may work out fine.

If that is where your plumber is buying, beware

Most "plumbers" will get supplies from Milne or Leeps. Their stuff is light uears above any big box in quality and priced accordingly.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

You can get some really good prices on fixtures at Menard. They may work out fine.

Most "plumbers" will get supplies from Milne or Leeps. Their stuff is light uears above any big box in quality and priced accordingly.

Exactly right. I learned my lesson about going cheap a long time ago. I plan on doing this bathroom right, so hopefully never have to think about it again. Have the upstairs one to do also, and will be doing a refresh on the kitchen as well. Wish I had done all this a couple years ago when things were halfway sane.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Anybody trys to beat me up on price they can go to the other shops in town. Lmao.

Yea, I get that, and also your quality comment above is spot on. I'm not the cheapest printer in Lake County either, but manage to stay busier than I want to be, due to our quality, dependability, and ability to meet deadlines. But there is a limit to what I'm willing to pay for any given service. $20K all in is more than I'm willing to pay for 48 sq.ft. bathroom.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County

The guy who just did our small bath is a recommended contractor at Milne and this is how we initially made contact with him.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    I can hold my own with carpentry, plumbing and electrical, but I would go broke if I had to make syrup for a living... Sitting by the fire now, not working out in my head time and wood cost vs. number of jars filled....

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I can hold my own with carpentry, plumbing and electrical, but I would go broke if I had to make syrup for a living... Sitting by the fire now, not working out in my head time and wood cost vs. number of jars filled....
    I have dabbled in all of those. Don't know if I would want to start a bathroom from scratch, but I can fix something that's broken. I would love to do some more DIY/remodeling stuff here, but my physical limitations prevent me.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Wife's birthday trip is partially booked. Since we both have the same week off with the kid (which rarely happens), it'll be here at the end of March. I told her, for a short trip her options are kinda limited. Since she missed out on Gatlinburg on our summer trip, she still wanted to go.

Booked the hotel and dinner shows. This will give her time to poke around the internet for what she would like to do.

With this and Disney this summer. :spend:

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    My wife took advantage of the nice weather yesterday and cleaned out her van. In doing so, she found a knife of mine that I thought was lost, a Kershaw Launch 6. I hadn't seen it since July or August of 2018, I actually thought I left it in a cabin in Michigan.

Today, we went to a St. Baldricks event in Dyer. One of the teams there has honored my middle child (who is a neuroblastoma survivor) since 2014. My youngest daughter decided today to cut and donate her hair at the event and ended raising more than $600. It was a great time but I am a bit jealous since I have one more week until I get to have my head and face shaved for the first time in four months.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom