Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Let me check..no. we only use it for memorial day, independence day, and veterans day. 8 ga shells cost too much to play.

How much are we talking? After all we go thru .50 like candy. =)

Those of you NWI guys/gals with scanners/HAM ... tune into your police freqs. Robbery in St. John ...

:faint: 1st Valpo and no SJ! Man the gettho is indeed spreading. C Y I am gonna go SOUTH of the K river! Now I wonder WD advised us of this. Good way to deflect hu? :rofl:

But since it's in SJ I DON'T CARE!!!!!:)

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    How much are we talking? After all we go thru .50 like candy. =)

:faint: 1st Valpo and no SJ! Man the gettho is indeed spreading. C Y I am gonna go SOUTH of the K river! Now I wonder WD advised us of this. Good way to deflect hu? :rofl:

They will not let me take it to play.:( especially after I showed up with golf balls to put down the barrel.:): I was curious how far up calumet avenue they would get when launched from fisher st.:dunno:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009

Jedi, if you were a little taller and a little heavier, you would fit the description of the perp. It's probably you people coming down here.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    You need an FCC ham license to have a scanner on your person (giggedy) or your car.

That includes those apps (which are crap because they rely on the data network).

A $50 radio will allow you to listen to the Five-oh in most towns around here. **** I'll even program it for anyone who doesn't know how.

And yes the group buy radios we had a while back work just fine for that.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Jedi, if you were a little taller and a little heavier, you would fit the description of the perp. It's probably you people coming down here.

Maybe I was wearing Bob's 60s platform shoes and stuffed my pants with a pillow or two. ;)

:in davegrave voice:
    Stop the nerd radio talk! :faint:

:rofl:

Try this, there's an app for it too.

I got pulled over a while back. I almost tuned in to hear him run me. That may have pissed him off though. He let me go:rockwoot:.
    FYI.. It's illegal to have a police scanner in your car if you DO NOT have a HAM Radio license from the FCC.

Police scanner apps illegal in Indiana - 13 WTHR Indianapolis
    and

IC 35-44-3-12
    Unlawful use of a police radio; exemptions; "police radio" defined
    Sec. 12. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) possesses a police radio;
    (2) transmits over a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes; or
    (3) possesses or uses a police radio:
    (A) while committing a crime;
    (B) to further the commission of a crime; or
    (C) to avoid detection by a law enforcement agency;
    commits unlawful use of a police radio, a Class B misdemeanor.
    (b) Subsection (a)(1) and (a)(2) do not apply to:
    (1) a governmental entity;
    (2) a regularly employed law enforcement officer;
    (3) a common carrier of persons for hire whose vehicles are used in emergency service;
    (4) a public service or utility company whose vehicles are used in emergency service;
    (5) a person who has written permission from the chief executive officer of a law enforcement agency to possess a police radio;
    (6) a person who holds an amateur radio license issued by the Federal Communications Commission if the person is not transmitting over a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes;
    (7) a person who uses a police radio only in the person's dwelling or place of business;
    (8) a person:
    (A) who is regularly engaged in newsgathering activities;
    (B) who is employed by a newspaper qualified to receive
    legal advertisements under IC 5-3-1, a wire service, or a licensed commercial or public radio or television station; and
    (C) whose name is furnished by his employer to the chief executive officer of a law enforcement agency in the county in which the employer's principal office is located;
    (9) a person engaged in the business of manufacturing or selling police radios; or
    (10) a person who possesses or uses a police radio during the normal course of the person's lawful business.
    (c) As used in this section, "police radio" means a radio that is capable of sending or receiving signals transmitted on frequencies assigned by the Federal Communications Commission for police emergency purposes and that:
    (1) can be installed, maintained, or operated in a vehicle; or
    (2) can be operated while it is being carried by an individual.
    The term does not include a radio designed for use only in a dwelling.
    As added by Acts 1977, P.L.342, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.162-1994, SEC.1.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Hey, the way it reads, it's only illegal if you use the radio during the commision of a crime.

(10) a person who possesses or uses a police radio during the normal course of the person's lawful business.

This also seems to absolve you since the phrase used is "possesses or uses" as opposed to "possesses and uses."

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    As used in this section, "police radio" means a radio that is capable of sending or receiving signals transmitted on frequencies assigned by the Federal Communications Commission for police emergency purposes and that:

A phone with an app does not operate in the frequencies assigned by the Federal Communications Commission for police emergency purposes and that...
    It operates on the frequencies assigned by the FCC for cell phones.

There is grey area here, not that I want to be the test case, but I don't think it would stand up in a court of law.

EDIT: Plus, the cited source is the police. Since when did they correctly interpret law? That's what courts are for.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom