Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Good morning!

I will venture out to the real world today. But only to Leo & Son's Garden Center to pick up a truckload of mulch.

I was there 2 times on Wednesday(?) to get bulk mulch. Both times I was the only person wearing a mask. There is no social distancing. There are no plexiglas screens to protect the workers from coughing customers. In fact everything looked just like business as before inside the store, with employees in very close proximity talking to each other, and talking to customers (who also didn't have masks). I will be masked again when I walk in, to get another load. Assuming there is no line, it takes about 90 seconds to get in/out fo the store. Then drive back to the mulch and the safety of open air and distance. But on my second trip there the other day there was a group of 4 or 5 workers loading a tree. They were working shoulder to shoulder, without masks. Hmmm.

Honestly I have not been INSIDE a store for quite a while.

As another immunocompromised person, with immunocompromised family, what are your plans while the state opens? I'm looking at the governors plan and it basically says they are managing the rate at which hospitals will be filled so they are not over-run. But there seems to be nothing in the plan provide protection for old sick people.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    As another immunocompromised person, with immunocompromised family, what are your plans while the state opens? I'm looking at the governors plan and it basically says they are managing the rate at which hospitals will be filled so they are not over-run. But there seems to be nothing in the plan provide protection for old sick people.
    If either me or my mom would get the virus, it's very likely that we both would, and I am fully aware that one or both of us might not survive it. As long as the virus is still out there in any significant numbers at all, we will be protecting ourselves regardless of what the state says. I try to encourage my mom to stay out of the stores, but once in a while she insists on going. For the most part, I am making the shopping runs, always in mask and gloves. We have been ordering as much as possible online and are only shopping in the stores for meat, dairy, and produce.

We are fortunate that this situation has not really impacted us much socially or financially. I haven't worked in over a year, so the lack of income is not really any more of a big deal than it was before. Mom is missing her volunteering and I am missing out on a few weekly social activities, but at this point, I don't even miss them. We will just continue the way we are going now until there is a significant break in the presence of the virus.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Took a half day off work today to go get materials to build my greenhouse this weekend. Stopped at the door (Portage Menards) and told I couldn't come in without a mask. I left and went to Lowes. Spent my money there and probably will not go back to Menards in the future. 2 strikes against them with not allowing kids under 16 in and now the mask Bull****.

Dont forget that when the c-virus "supplies" flying off the shelf started f..... menards did the CASH only for their store supply of mask related items.

IMG_15d22.jpg

So really they have at least 3 strikes on them.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Anyone else's assessment increase ridiculously? Mine went up $52,500!

Wtf! What did you add to the house? Any new construction around?

Ours went up $7500.

Hum this sound fishy but maybe...
    Look at what the inflation index is as a guide.

In both cases jedi suspects it's just the county trying to get MORE $$$$ since other revenue streams are very low.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Dont forget that when the c-virus "supplies" flying off the shelf started f..... menards did the CASH only for their store supply of mask related items.

IMG_15d22.jpg

So really they have at least 3 strikes on them.

I didn't know they did that. Never really paid a whole lot of attention to their signs, and wasn't looking at masks in prior shopping there. The whole under 16 thing is a crock of ****. What's a single parent suppose to do! My wife and daughter would usually go there this time of year to by mulch and other stuff for the yard but couldn't go.

So for now my business will go to Lowes, unless the get stupid as well

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The "no under 16" was really the straw the did it for me. They could have done the "mall rule: under 16 needs parent" but they went even further so f... them! Been a fan of them since the start but over the past 3 years Jedi has been buying power tools from Home Depot while the general stuff (materials: wood, pipe, wire, etc..) its been a split between lowes and home depot.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Wtf! What did you add to the house? Any new construction around?

Hum this sound fishy but maybe...
    Look at what the inflation index is as a guide.

In both cases jedi suspects it's just the county trying to get MORE $$$$ since other revenue streams are very low.

There is a new house built on the next lot, but we hadn't changed anything here yet as the dated January 1 paperwork.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I was in Menards the day before the mask incident and there was a couple in there with an 8 year old boy and a 6 year old girl.

This is what I emailed to them and their response.

I have been to the Griffith Indiana store a half dozen times during this PANIC. I have not worn a mask on any visit. Yesterday I attempted to enter the store and was told I could not enter without a mask.
    I believe it ic curious, if not rediculous that as the restrictions are being rolled back in Indiana you are making you making yours more stringent.
    Your business, your rules. I will honor your rules by not entering your store. After all Home Depot is only a mile farther away.
    I will check back in six months or so to see if you want my business.

Thank you Tom

Tom

I am very sorry we let you down. We need and appreciate your business. I appreciate the heads up on this and we will get on it at once.

Thank you,
    Ray

I don't know what that means.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    C-Virus Facts

In the end we are all going to get the C-Virus just like we all get the Flu. It is just a matter of time, there is no way around that opinion at this time. Now what can you do to lower the risk of getting it? What you have been doing so far and maybe a little more. The good thing is wearing a respirator/bleaching stuff is socially acceptable now, whereas before you were looked at crazy.

FACT #1: C-Virus can last maximum of 6 hours in air, 4 hours on copper, 10 hours on cardboard, 14 hours on stainless steel, and 18 hours on plastic.
    SOURCE: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973
    (Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared with SARS-CoV-1: New England Medical Journal)

FACT #2: The C-Virus can be killed on SURFACES using the list of EPA certificated N Type Disinfectants
    SOURCE: https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2

FACT #3: C-Virus can happen via air transmission by infected sneezing/coughing
    SOURCE: Japan Study 2020
    [video=youtube;K5kR1zhVjAc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5kR1zhVjAc[/video]

Inside your house you are safer because you can control the level of cleanliness you do and who is inside contaminating stuff.
    So use the EPA List N to clean your house (which you probably have when this started) and continue your cleaning routine to keep the C-Virus away. Note the "wet time" some of those EPA List N products need. It is not just spray bleach and wipe clean. Most require at least a minute of the surface being wet in order to kill the C-Virus.

So with a clean house now we turn to what is coming in? You and deliveries (amazon packages, food deliveries, etc). We do not know if any of these packages have the C-Virus. It is doubtful but possible. So to be safe you have to either disinfect or wait per FACT #1 time. Leave the package in the garage for 1 day and you ensure that any last minute C-Virus that got on the box/inside box (ie. the driver coughed on the box, the packager coughed inside the box while packing it) will have died by then.

If you can't wait to use the item or its perishable goods then disinfect the items. Water + Bleach in a spray bottle to the outside of the box. Or just remove the item, disinfect the item and toss the box (in the garage so it never comes into clean house). For food items clean produce with soap and water and for canned/box stuff the bleach spray method works.

Now lets talk about you since you are coming and going from in/out of the house.
    You are going out so you will end up dealing with others but in the end you and ONLY you can stop from getting the C-Virus.
    C-Virus only comes in via airways and loves your lungs. So your mouth, your nose and your eyes are the 3 ways in.
    YOU MUST NOT TOUCH THEM WHILE OUT. Just like when you carry a sidearm. Do you ever touch it/trigger? NO unless you are actually going to use it. Same concept here. You hands may be contaminated once you leave the house so don't touch the 3 "air" entrances.

I have found no study that shows the % of the following tables I have made. It is based on all the reading I have done and in talking to those on INGO that know much more than me on this topic who read the actual medical journals.

LOCATION..........................................................................................CHANCE
    Being outside in open air environment no humans .......................................Very low
    Being outside in open air environment other humans (all wearing mask)...........Very low
    Being outside in open air environment other humans (no mask)......................Low
    Being inside a structure no humans...........................................................Low
    Being inside a structure other humans (all wearing mask)..............................Low/Medium
    Being inside a structure other humans (no mask)........................................Medium
    [This excludes hospitals or structure where C-Virus people are KNOWN to be at]

Mask above is anything that covers your mouth/nose to provided some type of barrier from sending the C-Virus particles into the air as shown in FACT #3. We have no idea who may have the C-Virus so if someone coughs/sneezes its best for that "stuff" to hit the mask first to capture most of it so that less goes out into the environment. This is where the 6 feet rule comes into play. Someone coughs 6+ feet away the C-Virus concentration will be much lower to you than if that person coughs right next to you or worse ON you. So it is a game of % and you want that % to be low when you go out so that you do not get the C-Virus.

How can you increase that % to be low?
    1) Try to stay further away from people so if they cough/sneeze those particles are not near you.
    2) Wear a N95 mask or Respirator with N100 or P/F100 filters
    3) Avoid touching the 3 "air entrances"

The C-Virus is .06 to .14 microns (see FACT #3).
    N95 mask give you a 95% chance of stopping the C-Virus particles from entering your nose/mouth due to the filter particles it is designed for (SOURCE: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9487666)
    N/P 100 respirators give you a 99.99% chance of stopping the C-Virus particles from entering your nose/mouth due to the filter particles it is designed for.

If you want 100% stoppage of C-Virus you need a full air-suit with its own oxygen supply system but that is impractical for outdoor use and for many of us to own. So I will not discuss here. So wearing one of those "mask (N95/NP100)" ensures you protect yourself from the C-Virus while outside your house even if others don't wear mask, cough, sneeze, etc.

NOT PROVEN YET; RESULTS ARE PROMISING
    It seems that sunlight given enough time (hours) can mutate the C-Virus and cause it to become sterile. In lay men terms sunlight gives the C-Virus cancer just like sunlight gives us skin cancer. Once the C-Virus gets cancer it can not longer infect humans or reproduce. You can inhale the cancer C-Virus but it won't harm you anymore.

I can NOT find the link to the source for this right now. DHS was the first to method it and Korea was the first to start experimenting with it from what I recall. Google right now is juts pointing out the DHS person and rebucking it.
    It does make scene on why being outside (natural light) vs being inside (no natural light, recycled air) your chance of C-Virus is greater. HOWEVER AT THIS TIME I DO NOT HAVE THE PROOF I NEED IN ORDER TO SAY SUNLIGHT = C-VIRUS KILLER.

Lastly gloves do nothing for you against the C-Virus other than to provide you a physical reminder to not touch your eyes. The mask will cover your mouth/nose so you won't be able to touch them. You CAN NOT get the C-Virus just by touching it. You have to touch your 3 "air entrances" in order to get it. Thus why YOU and ONLY YOU can infect yourself when outside the house. Feel free to not wear gloves but once you leave the store, disinfect your hands. Alcohol 70% of greater will do the trick if you can't wash your hands right away once leaving the store.

I hope this helps you guys all understand more about the C-Virus.
    Stay safe and wash your hands.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Please don't clutter this thread with that garbage, put it where it belongs so people that want to see it can.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I was in Menards the day before the mask incident and there was a couple in there with an 8 year old boy and a 6 year old girl.

This is what I emailed to them and their response.

I have been to the Griffith Indiana store a half dozen times during this PANIC. I have not worn a mask on any visit. Yesterday I attempted to enter the store and was told I could not enter without a mask.
    I believe it ic curious, if not rediculous that as the restrictions are being rolled back in Indiana you are making you making yours more stringent.
    Your business, your rules. I will honor your rules by not entering your store. After all Home Depot is only a mile farther away.
    I will check back in six months or so to see if you want my business.

Thank you Tom

Tom

I am very sorry we let you down. We need and appreciate your business. I appreciate the heads up on this and we will get on it at once.

Thank you,
    Ray

I don't know what that means.
    It means he's trying to placate you and salvage your business without really being able to offer a solution. Maybe if he is vaguely sincere enough you will come back.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    He (the menards) guy is in a tough spot.
    You got one side that fears the c-virus so they want to see something to reassure themselves that it is safe to go into mendards.
    You got another side that says the heck with your new rules, you cant tell me what to do.

Menards choose what they think will get them the most customers to come back. Home depot, lowes and others have done other strategies that they think will work for them.

It's now up to the markets to decide.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    How about the people that want to wear a mash,do so. They actually have one usually. The people that say, meh. Are only taking a chance for themselves.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom