• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I just hauled my Dad's generator home. I guess it's time to set aside some time to get it running- gummy carb.

My parents had a man made lake in their basement.
    Power went out last night

I'm in the process of getting a quote on a whole-house generator. I have a portable, but am not comfortable that the wife could start it when I'm out of town, even if she was home when the power goes down. That little generator is a hard pull to get it turning. I believe I'm leaning towards a Kohler unit. I'm just tired of always worrying about it, and all my gun collection is downstairs. That would really ruin my day if they got wet.

Good luck Hough with the carb work. Small engines can be a ***** when the carb gets gunked up. I always turn off the fuel supply and run it till it dies to keep the carb dry.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I'm in the process of getting a quote on a whole-house generator. I have a portable, but am not comfortable that the wife could start it when I'm out of town, even if she was home when the power goes down. That little generator is a hard pull to get it turning. I believe I'm leaning towards a Kohler unit. I'm just tired of always worrying about it, and all my gun collection is downstairs. That would really ruin my day if they got wet.

Good luck Hough with the carb work. Small engines can be a ***** when the carb gets gunked up. I always turn off the fuel supply and run it till it dies to keep the carb dry.

I have a husqvarna mower with a Koehler engine....never again.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

My parents are looking (or talking about) a whole house genny.
    Dad's retired, so they don't have to worry about mom trying to run the genny.
    But if it happens while they're away, or like today - asleep...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    so did their sump pump not work due to no power?
    they dont have battery one?
    or was it just too much water to handle.

They don't have a battery one.
    Those only last for so long anyway.
    And you have to remember to put new batteries in every 7 years or so.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Office in Schererville. House 8 miles south of there. Are you in the HVAC business? I was planning on using a contractor clent that I do a lot of work for, but always open to options.

ok makes a bit more sense.
    north of us30 i would say the expense is not justified.
    u will not see your return of investment.
    the grid doesnt go down for too long this way.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    They don't have a battery one.
    Those only last for so long anyway.
    And you have to remember to put new batteries in every 7 years or so.

unless off course u live where acteon does in thw middle of woodland area north of us30 where time has forgotten them

yes a battery one has to be maintained
    but for north of us30 it is a cheaper/bwtter route then qholw house gen. granted ya have the land for it but the expenses they wont see the return vs a battery one.

they can always buy a yearly maintenance agreement/servixe from the variiua plumbing companies to make sure its running bi-yearly and that would still be beyyer then the whole house

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Dug an improved trench to drain the pond between the 2 houses. New construction ungraded blues. Guestimated the flow at a 5 gal. bucket every 5 sec. Hopefully my labor pays off.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    ok makes a bit more sense.
    north of us30 i would say the expense is not justified.
    u will not see your return of investment.
    the grid doesnt go down for too long this way.
    I just want to point out that our power has been much more reliable than NIPSCO in Lake County. The two biggest outages we have had were due to a tornado taking down power lines and some idiot taking out a pole on the side of the road. That was the one that lasted more than a day.

The bigger issue is that everything needs electricity for us. Water, sewage, etc. So no power and we are really in a pickle.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I just want to point out that our power has been much more reliable than NIPSCO in Lake County.

The bigger issue is that everything needs electricity for us. Water, sewage, etc. So no power and we are really in a pickle.

South west Lake County ... we have regular power failures. Durations of less than 1 hour are common all year, especially during storms. Durations of 6 to 12 hours are fairly common in the winter. Over 12 hours are rare but do happen during the winter.

Whole house generator is a wonderful thing. My first was semi-auto, electric start. It lasted roughly 15 years, which included runs during several multi-day outages (as long as 7 days). New generator is a GENERAC automatic unit, which is now roughly 4 or 5 years old. Great things to have!

By the way, I think generators work well as Jedi repellants. Get a generator and you rarely have Jedi invasions. Not foolproof, but seems to work pretty well.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Good luck Hough with the carb work. Small engines can be a ***** when the carb gets gunked up. I always turn off the fuel supply and run it till it dies to keep the carb dry....

Good idea. My Dad, the brilliant man that he was, was not a small engine guy. I, however, am. No carb has ever beat me yet, though my wife is becoming less and less tolerant of me boiling carb bodies in vinegar water on the stove.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Good idea. My Dad, the brilliant man that he was, was not a small engine guy. I, however, am. No carb has ever beat me yet, though my wife is becoming less and less tolerant of me boiling carb bodies in vinegar water on the stove.

I envy you that skill on small engines. I knew there had to be a trick to de-gunk them (the vinegar).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom