• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I prefer my turn signals down by the license plate on my shadow. I've got my bags hard mounted.
    Not Shadows, mine is an NC750 and my wife rides an NC700. Hard bags on both. I replaced the simple reflectors on her hard cases with double rows of LEDs behind the reflector lenses. I added surface mount LEDs to my cases. All connected with quick attach connectors on the wires. Easy on/off. Lots more visibility!

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    You see, that's the thing, they should have already been there in the first place but some idiot engineer was drunk on sake or something and decided to put them in the middle of the fender.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Then you wouldn't make any extra money. They designed it, because they need more parts sold.
    I think there is more to it than that. In addition to parts there is also the fact that people who ride cruisers tend to want minimal lights. So they put minimalist lights on those.

My wife and I ride adventure/touring style bikes. They look like big dirt/dual sport bikes. Adv/touring bikes come with minimal lights like the Shadow, but people who ride them tend to add all sorts of crap to the bikes so there is a wide selection of saddle bags/hard cases from several manufacturers. And then lights have to be customized to fit those if you want more lighting. Blah blah blah...

So Shadow riders are more like HD riders in that most are minimalists. Often without a helmet, rarely with protective gear, etc. ADV/Touring riders are a different type of rider, often wearing full face helmets, armored suits, and loads of lights on their bikes. Cafe Racers appeal to yet another crowd, as do Superbikes, etc.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I think there is more to it than that. In addition to parts there is also the fact that people who ride cruisers tend to want minimal lights. So they put minimalist lights on those.

My wife and I ride adventure/touring style bikes. They look like big dirt/dual sport bikes. Adv/touring bikes come with minimal lights like the Shadow, but people who ride them tend to add all sorts of crap to the bikes so there is a wide selection of saddle bags/hard cases from several manufacturers. And then lights have to be customized to fit those if you want more lighting. Blah blah blah...

So Shadow riders are more like HD riders in that most are minimalists. Often without a helmet, rarely with protective gear, etc. ADV/Touring riders are a different type of rider, often wearing full face helmets, armored suits, and loads of lights on their bikes. Cafe Racers appeal to yet another crowd, as do Superbikes, etc.

I got a 7 month old but I've always worn a helmet, maybe not kevlar suits but jeans boots, goggles, leather jacket and gloves. I plan on 3 more years of riding my shadow and then buying an Indian Chieftain.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I got a 7 month old but I've always worn a helmet, maybe not kevlar suits but jeans boots, goggles, leather jacket and gloves. I plan on 3 more years of riding my shadow and then buying an Indian Chieftain.

Denim has an abrasion resistance rating of ZERO. It shreds on impact, provides no protection from road rash. Leather is rated at 6 seconds, which is actually good, but if it doesn’t have CE rated armor then it offers no protection from impact, only from road rash. Blunt force trauma kills, road rash hurts. Gloves are great if they have abrasion pads on the palms since those often take the initial impact. Helmets!?! DOT approves helmets known to be fatal upon impact, most people don’t realize a helmet is a single use item, drop a helmet on the floor from 3’ and it needs to be replaced. Snell rated is the gold standard. Boots... are those protective riding boots with ankle armor because that CE rated ankle armor is far more important in a drop, fall or crash than a reinforced toe or double thick sole.

People often think they are wearing protective gear but most is not actually protective.

I probably sound like a gear nazi but seriously there is protective gear and there is stuff that people think is protective. I support people’s right to ride without protection but I advocate that people wear proper protective gear. Ride your ride. But be informed. What people think is protective is often very different from what IS protective, especially when you look at crash statistics.

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Then you wouldn't make any extra money. They designed it, because they need more parts sold.

Not really, at least not in Honda's case. They really only sell the OEM parts. If you want to change anything it's all third party stuff, and that includes the turn signal relocation bracket.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Not that early in the morning.
    Ya did miss some cool 1940s cop cars in downtown chiraqi this morning. Some film crew was at the park and it look like some action movie. 2 cop cars, 1 other car, gangsters with Tommy guns, a few "dead" bodies in the park, lots of floodlights and camera crews.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Ya did miss some cool 1940s cop cars in downtown chiraqi this morning. Some film crew was at the park and it look like some action movie. 2 cop cars, 1 other car, gangsters with Tommy guns, a few "dead" bodies in the park, lots of floodlights and camera crews.
    Probably got a bunch of tax breaks and financial incentives paid for out of excessive taxes that were extracted from the citizens and visitors of chiraq.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

You had me at Tommy Guns.. i think I want one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom