Not open for further replies.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Something managed to get into, and out of, the chicken coop last night.

Killed all but 3 chickens. Only ate on one of them.

We had 20 yesterday morning. I counted because I found one dead in the morning. But this morning went to feed and water and the inside of the coop was splattered with blood and feathers and carcasses everywhere. Doors all closed, don't know how anything got in or out.
    Ferret got my parent's neighbor's chickens one year.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    That really sucks! Up to this point I've had a Hawk get 1 and what i believe was a coon get 2. Were they missing their heads and mostly left intact? Thats usually a sign of a racoon, owl, or hawk. If you got water near by could be a mink as well. My coworker has had an issue with mink killing his chickens in the past, but he's near a water source. Could be a weasel as well. Mink and weasel will usually leave a bloody mess, and eat the guts

We've always had hawk problems, probably lose 5-10 a year on average to hawks.

Raccoons have wiped out all my chickens in the past, but only when I've left the coop door open overnight. And they usually eat a good amount of the carcasses, these were mostly intact.

Weasel and mink and stuff sounds like about the only thing that it could have been, but was not aware they were in this area? There's some gap at the roof of the coop, maybe a 2-3" gap 12" wide between each rafter. No way to climb up the wall to get to the gap unless it's a critter that escapes physics like a weasel.

Ferret got my parent's neighbor's chickens one year.

Around here?

Two nights in a row with the chicken killing. The first night was just one. Was pretty bloodied but not much more than the skin was eaten, I thought maybe the hens had picked at it but thought it was odd the amount of blood spatter around the body in the coop.

I set a couple traps and trailcams. Hopefully I get whatever it was. Went out around midnight to the compost pile where I tossed the bodies and there was at least 6 raccoons feasting.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Around here?

Two nights in a row with the chicken killing. The first night was just one. Was pretty bloodied but not much more than the skin was eaten, I thought maybe the hens had picked at it but thought it was odd the amount of blood spatter around the body in the coop.

I set a couple traps and trailcams. Hopefully I get whatever it was. Went out around midnight to the compost pile where I tossed the bodies and there was at least 6 raccoons feasting.

This was in SE IN. Could be wild or someone's escaped/unwanted pet.
    Hope the trail cam picks it up.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    They do it just to kill. Ive seen entire flocks wiped out like that.

did not know this.
    jedi knows that other primates do kill just to kill like humans do. was not aware others in the aninal kingdom did this as well.

@klb
    that is a cool video.
    when u gonna have chixkens?

them doggies look like your.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Spent a bit of time in #thugland today. Escaped alive and am back south of US30 where the air is clean and it is 72 degrees and sunny.

Drove past Schoops on 45th in Highland earlier ... the Gunbunnies suburban was not in sight ... I would have stopped if he was there.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    please dont!! we dont visot your south of us30 ones we dont want you to visit ours. :p

jedi was there this past wed and no sight of gb either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom