• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don't see what you are talking about in their stock price. CAT stock is just below their all time high. Obviously the company is doing quite well.
    I just want to point out that stock price is not always indicative of how well a company is doing. A company can be losing all kinds of money and have a high stock price.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Funny how companies don't have money to pay the workers, yet have money to give the CEO and CFO 60 percent raises.
    CEO and CFO that have no vested interest in the company, did not start it, input no money, no sweat, and will only be there a couple years.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I thought SadClown was for the free market?

Employees negotiating their contract isn't "free market"?

Guys who have higher injuries while they work, and health problems afterward, aren't supposed to worry about their health?

Guys who worked for 27 years have "less" vested in a company, than a "drive by" CEO that will work maybe 5 years? A CEO that invested none of his own money?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Rainy day...

Waste Management sent an email stating garbage would be picked on schedule ‘tis week even with the holiday. That was Thursday for me. So we put it out Wednesday evening. Finally picked up this morning.

For the 4th, they said we’d be picked up on normal schedule. I missed that email and was used to them pushing it a day for holidays - so I missed the pick up. No big deal, just irritating.

But now, I think I will just assume it’s the regular day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Funny how companies don't have money to pay the workers, yet have money to give the CEO and CFO 60 percent raises.
    CEO and CFO that have no vested interest in the company, did not start it, input no money, no sweat, and will only be there a couple years.

I don't think that is funny at all. I think raises are a sign of a successful CEO and CFO. Single workers have much less of an impact on a business than someone at the top, especially those easily replaced. If someone at the top makes a deal that makes the company billions or millions, then should the person who made the deal not be able to get a bonus made on that deal?

Does the company not pay for the works sweat? I was under the impression the company traded union workers money in order for the workers to perform a job? Does the company force you to work against your will and prevent you from seeking success elsewhere? How much money did the current workers invest into the business compared to the how much the CEO invested into it?

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I thought SadClown was for the free market?

Employees negotiating their contract isn't "free market"?

Guys who have higher injuries while they work, and health problems afterward, aren't supposed to worry about their health?

Guys who worked for 27 years have "less" vested in a company, than a "drive by" CEO that will work maybe 5 years? A CEO that invested none of his own money?

I am all about the free market. Everyone is free to ask for more money (unless apparently you are in a union where a business can't reward an individual for superior performance). I also think that the moment someone abandons their job, the company should be free to replace said person or persons.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't think that is funny at all. I think raises are a sign of a successful CEO and CFO. Single workers have much less of an impact on a business than someone at the top, especially those easily replaced. If someone at the top makes a deal that makes the company billions or millions, then should the person who made the deal not be able to get a bonus made on that deal?

Does the company not pay for the works sweat? I was under the impression the company traded union workers money in order for the workers to perform a job? Does the company force you to work against your will and prevent you from seeking success elsewhere? How much money did the current workers invest into the business compared to the how much the CEO invested into it?

The workers invested their lives, and their health.
    Been to many coworkers funerals?
    Visited any in the hospital?
    Get the pleasure of trying to keep them together until Emergency Services show up.

Yes, I agreed to work there.
    Doesn't mean I agree to work for free either.

the free market says if we ask for too much, there will be no company to go to.
    And, the company is literally making money off our suggestions on saving money that we made and they implemented.
    So YES, our input mattered just as much.
    We actually filled out forms, and attended meetings.
    Those were put into effect.
    They told us how much that actually saved the company, and how it was only alive because of those suggestions.
    So, yes, we actually want a small piece of the 2 BILLION they will make this year.
    And, next year, they are projecting 3 BILLION.

Yes, they do give us money to do a job. That's one of the things we are negotiating.
    But, we agree to do a dangerous job so that we make money.
    SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research
    Because of prescreening, steelworkers tend to have better health, at first.
    Yet, we are suffer 5 to 10 times the rate of cancer as the general population, depending on the area where we work.
    We are literally exchanging health for money.
    And yet you are against us trying to make sure what we get is worth it.

Maybe you should come work here. Then it would mean more when you try to tell me about my job and negotiations.
    Or you could meet me at the funeral of the next coworker I go to. You could tell his family that he should have gotten a different job.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Let's see.
    In 27 years, I've lost approx. 27 coworkers. But, since I don't know most of them, let's not count them.

I've lost 3 coworkers that I did know. Crushed. Fall from a crane. Electrocuted.
    I've lost 2 coworkers that lived, but will never work again. Amputation (several return to work depending on the amputation. This one was unable). And Crushed, but lived because he was crushed against an I-Beam instead of a wall. Everyone got to hear him beg to have the weight moved so that he could die.

So, let's round off. 5 coworkers in 25 years (rounded from 27). That's a coworker every 5 years. I have 3 years left. Round to 5. Means I get the pleasure of losing one more.

I've personally had the pleasure of being to the hospital 3 times, and the medical "dispensary".. well I don't really remember how many. More than 3, less than 20.

The company went back, and judged all injuries by OSHA standards.
    In over 100 years, we've had 3 months with no OSHA recordable incidents.
    3 months.

So, I guess I should settle for minimum wage.
    Or, I could work my job, and try to get money in exchange for the risk.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    The workers invested their lives, and their health.
    Been to many coworkers funerals?
    Visited any in the hospital?
    Get the pleasure of trying to keep them together until Emergency Services show up.

Yes, I agreed to work there.
    Doesn't mean I agree to work for free either.

the free market says if we ask for too much, there will be no company to go to.
    And, the company is literally making money off our suggestions on saving money that we made and they implemented.
    So YES, our input mattered just as much.
    We actually filled out forms, and attended meetings.
    Those were put into effect.
    They told us how much that actually saved the company, and how it was only alive because of those suggestions.
    So, yes, we actually want a small piece of the 2 BILLION they will make this year.
    And, next year, they are projecting 3 BILLION.

Yes, they do give us money to do a job. That's one of the things we are negotiating.
    But, we agree to do a dangerous job so that we make money.
    SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research
    Because of prescreening, steelworkers tend to have better health, at first.
    Yet, we are suffer 5 to 10 times the rate of cancer as the general population, depending on the area where we work.
    We are literally exchanging health for money.
    And yet you are against us trying to make sure what we get is worth it.

Maybe you should come work here. Then it would mean more when you try to tell me about my job and negotiations.
    Or you could meet me at the funeral of the next coworker I go to. You could tell his family that he should have gotten a different job.

People's health going down sucks, but they agree'd to do the job, no one put a gun to their head. Also I've been a firefighter and actually tried holding people together while waiting for Lifeline to land while they died. Been there done that. Firefighters also have one of the highest rates of work related deaths. I didn't like the risk/reward, so I chose to no longer pursue it, because everyone has a choice. I was not even getting paid.

If I have led you onto thinking that I expect you to work for free, I apologize. I merely expect you to work for whatever the employer and yourself come to an agreement that your time/effort is worth. What I am not saying is that you will come to an agreement, the employer could decide that the job the employer wants done, is just not worth what you want. I am 100% in favor of the employer if the employee walks off the job. If the employee walks off the job or does not show up and perform the job, then the employer should be able to bring someone else in that is willing to work for what the employer is willing to pay.

I am also 100% in favor of the employee getting a portion of the money they save the company. To be more specific, I am in favor of the actual employee who saves the company money getting a portion of the money. I am not in favor of that money being spread out to all the employee regardless of if they saved the company money or not.

As far as the argument about dead employee's and funerals... That is like a smoker dying of lung cancer. Everyone knows it, but the smoker/employee chose to smoke/work in a place/activity with higher than average death risks.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    We take the risks, for the money, and the healthcare.
    So, that's why we want the money, and the healthcare.

No one is holding a gun. Correct.
    No one is holding a gun on you to stop you from working here and showing me how it's done.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    People's health going down sucks, but they agree'd to do the job, no one put a gun to their head. Also I've been a firefighter and actually tried holding people together while waiting for Lifeline to land while they died. Been there done that. Firefighters also have one of the highest rates of work related deaths. I didn't like the risk/reward, so I chose to no longer pursue it, because everyone has a choice. I was not even getting paid.

If I have led you onto thinking that I expect you to work for free, I apologize. I merely expect you to work for whatever the employer and yourself come to an agreement that your time/effort is worth. What I am not saying is that you will come to an agreement, the employer could decide that the job the employer wants done, is just not worth what you want. I am 100% in favor of the employer if the employee walks off the job. If the employee walks off the job or does not show up and perform the job, then the employer should be able to bring someone else in that is willing to work for what the employer is willing to pay.

I am also 100% in favor of the employee getting a portion of the money they save the company. To be more specific, I am in favor of the actual employee who saves the company money getting a portion of the money. I am not in favor of that money being spread out to all the employee regardless of if they saved the company money or not.

As far as the argument about dead employee's and funerals... That is like a smoker dying of lung cancer. Everyone knows it, but the smoker/employee chose to smoke/work in a place/activity with higher than average death risks.

I merely expect you to work for whatever the employer and yourself come to an agreement that your time/effort is worth.
    Umm, that's what we are trying to do.
    Come to an agreement.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom