Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Who has a whole house generator? Who'd you use? Does it run your whole house or essentials? Need info, haven't researched, just thinking random thoughts and figured I'd post.

For where you live you dont need it.
    Klb i can understand and he is out far and everything works off of it.

Bob as well but uou nope. You wont use it enough to justify the cost of it.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Jedi, you don't tell me what I need!!!!

I think you need more raccoons. Who wants to make a quick buck by dropping raccoons at Jedi's house?

Anyways, I don't think I need a whole house, but maybe a small managed automatic backup. Time will really tell as we've just moved. At the last house we rarely lost power, but I'm not sure about here. Just thoughts of a bored man coming out.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :facepalm:
    1. I was thinking it was the original thug, ericwp who was asking.
    2. You were in crown point before not sure where now.
    But for northern lake county and those just south of it im not sure. Ive had small portable and have seen big ones at play.

The small ones are nice but fuel and the storage is the biggest issue.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Yea I'm not dealing with a portable, most likely a small NG that's wired is what I'm thinking. I'm still in CP, a bit further south though. Still in town and in a subdivision, but not sure what the big storms will be like around here with the power. Seems really hit and miss throughout town if you lose power or not.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah, I rarely lose power up here. I saw a transformer blow up once, that was kind of cool.

My deck is becoming the local wildlife maternity ward. I'm gonna have to brick around it to keep everything out... Or burn it down.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If you are in the city do not do it. The sound and the illu.ination will attract zombies/looters.

If you are in the country make sure it is muffled and you have good blackout protocol.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    :facepalm:
    1. I was thinking it was the original thug, ericwp who was asking.
    2. You were in crown point before not sure where now.
    But for northern lake county and those just south of it im not sure. Ive had small portable and have seen big ones at play.

The small ones are nice but fuel and the storage is the biggest issue.

Propane.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If you are in the city do not do it. The sound and the illu.ination will attract zombies/looters.

If you are in the country make sure it is muffled and you have good blackout protocol.

Ah someone who speaks from experience. ;)
    In the city/subs you are gonna have to guard it with force sadly. That tornandoe that hit griffith back in 2010 was an eye opener for some. Griffith pd said over 50 portable genys were stolen the 1st night. :facepalm:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I heard Jedi was buying me a whole house genny.

Sure ill get you a gas portable one so long as you store the fuel needed to run it for say 5 days. I think you need like 300 gallons of fuel.

Hey aclark wanna shoot some racoons on larrys property? Cause i wanna see that murshoom cloud when you hit th e gas tanks. No need to call the fire dept as he has a pool we can use to attempt to put out the fire. :)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yea I'm not dealing with a portable, most likely a small NG that's wired is what I'm thinking. I'm still in CP, a bit further south though. Still in town and in a subdivision, but not sure what the big storms will be like around here with the power. Seems really hit and miss throughout town if you lose power or not.
    You can get a smaller one with a subpanel that will run just the stuff on that panel.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Sure ill get you a gas portable one so long as you store the fuel needed to run it for say 5 days. I think you need like 300 gallons of fuel.

Hey aclark wanna shoot some racoons on larrys property? Cause i wanna see that murshoom cloud when you hit th e gas tanks. No need to call the fire dept as he has a pool we can use to attempt to put out the fire. :)
    That only works in the movies

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom