• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    My wife tried to print something yesterday. It wouldn't print. She gave up waiting on it. She took no action. Computer stays on. Everybody goes about their day. I log in later and do my stuff ... no printing. Computer gets shut down (not sleep/hibernate/whatever ... shut off). Computer gets turned on this morning. I go to print something and nothing happens. I tried deleting it from the que. ... You guys know the rest.
    There is a difference between hibernating and shutting down. You usually have to actually tell the computer to shut down or restart. It will hibernate on its own if it is set to do so, or if you close the screen on a laptop.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So they will go sideways vs back to the shooter?
    That is what i have never understood with the steel targets.
    You are shooting directly at it so wont the bullet have a chance of bouncing direclty back at the user?
    As much as you've shot steel, you still don't understand what happens when you shoot it?

If a bullet hits something that is angled, it will deflect at an angle.

When you hit the torsos, the bullet basically disintegrates. If you watch, you can see the splash hitting the dirt in a line from left to right in a line below the torso.

If the steel gets badly dimpled or dented, then it can start sending fragments in odd directions. That is why I don't allow people to shoot the steel with any rifles other than 22s.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    True, but it works most of the time as long as you shut down completely and then power up instead of choosing restart. And it's a whole lot easier to explain than killing the spooler.

Yes but as you can see below the shut down does not always work.
    Plus for the printer it is ESPECIALLY turn that you have to take it by the horns and kill it.

Problem fixed but I have a question ... if shutting down completely fixes it, why was the print job still there today when the printing attempt was yesterday (computer was shut down completely last night)?

WTHV5.jpg

I've had that happen a few times, mostly on servers though. Printing for the most part is black magic, as far as I'm concerned. I can explain a lot of things with networking and an AD environment, printing is not one of them.

Correct. The printer is the biggest a..hat of all the PC stuff and that you can blame the likes of gunbunnies and friends who back in the olden day wanted the printer to have priority access for the end user. :)

:rolleyes:

This whole time, I thought Jedi was talking about the steel posts until I read his question again.

I AM talking about the steel post that are holding up the steel targets. Those are the ones at an angle.
    However the question is really for both the actual steel targets (red ones) as well as the steel post (new redneck work) and just about any other material.

I know for instance that on the plywood the bullet just passes thru and into the dirt it goes at WINAMAC.
    Just wondered what actually occurs when it hits steel or some other material where it does not pass thru it. That bullet has to go somewhere right? It does not just disappear?

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I AM talking about the steel post that are holding up the steel targets. Those are the ones at an angle.
    However the question is really for both the actual steel targets (red ones) as well as the steel post (new redneck work) and just about any other material.

I know for instance that on the plywood the bullet just passes thru and into the dirt it goes at WINAMAC.
    Just wondered what actually occurs when it hits steel or some other material where it does not pass thru it. That bullet has to go somewhere right? It does not just disappear?

OK ... so I sorta read it right. Well, you got my PM and KLB explained it ...

[video=youtube;QfDoQwIAaXg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg[/video]

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    Jedi, that is why the steel frame is made from angle iron, it is at a 45 degree angle to the shooter. So if a bullet does strike it does not deflect, it slides. And the steel silhouettes are on schedule 120 2"pipe, so same thing happens. You way over think this stuff, and not in a good way.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Jedi, that is why the steel frame is made from angle iron, it is at a 45 degree angle to the shooter. So if a bullet does strike it does not deflect, it slides. And the steel silhouettes are on schedule 120 2"pipe, so same thing happens. You way over think this stuff, and not in a good way.

Dear magic fairy I was not questioning the safety of the target stands/structure or even the steel plates that KLB had before the new structure was in place.

More curious on how it works and why it works the way it does.
    I've learned long ago not to question the magic fairies they know what they are doing.
    Just want to learn why it works.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    OK ... so I sorta read it right. Well, you got my PM and KLB explained it ...

[video=youtube;QfDoQwIAaXg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg[/video]

For some reason I had the sudden urge to find some pot and get stoned watching this.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Bump back to page 1.

By the way, if anyone wants to see some fine quality home building then show up at the Hanover Central High School homecoming parade in a few weeks. Someone got volunteered by his wife to build the structure for the Freshman class float. And I don't even have any kids at Hanover, nor have I ever had a kid at Hanover.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Bump back to page 1.

By the way, if anyone wants to see some fine quality home building then show up at the Hanover Central High School homecoming parade in a few weeks. Someone got volunteered by his wife to build the structure for the Freshman class float. And I don't even have any kids at Hanover, nor have I ever had a kid at Hanover.
    ^ sucker...

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    So, if anyone knows of a job for an 18 yr old with no direction what-so-ever as to wtf he want's to do with his life, please let me know.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Not a good day so far.

Busted the belt on my 6' mower deck on the big tractor trying to mow the field. Felt some vibrations, by the time I turned around to see what was happening there was no more vibrations and no more spinning blades either.

Brought the tractor up the back path to the workshop and tried to take off the cover plates. Went to the right side belt cover: Bolt #1, no problem. Bolt #2, no problem. Bolt #3, not any way to get that loose. Figured I'd come back to Bolt #3. Went over to the left side belt cover: Went to the right side belt cover: Bolt #1, no problem. Bolt #2, no problem. Bolt #3, not any way to get that loose. WTF!!!

:(
    heat is your friend, but not tooo much.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    heat is your friend, but not tooo much.

Not in this case.

The 2 stuck bolts have plastic collars and knobs on them. And the cover they both hold in place is ABS plastic. So using a torch is not viable.

I got both unstuck later that day. Broke off the plastic collar/knobs. Grabbed a ratchet wrench and broke the rust with a judicious amount of banging. Today I went to Tractor Supply and bought new bolts.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    So, if anyone knows of a job for an 18 yr old with no direction what-so-ever as to wtf he want's to do with his life, please let me know.

The best motivation I know for pursuing higher education and a job that pays for brains, not just sweat and tolerance for abuse, is the experience of a menial, physically demanding job working for an @$$hole.

But since you're on this board, I'll recommend this much. When I was in HS I was fascinated by motorcycles and I sought out a job with a motorcycle dealer. I started out putting bikes together out of crates and eventually became a mechanic. One of the biggest influences of my life was the shop manager/chief mechanic, who taught me not only what to do but how to think about what I was doing and how to diagnose problems systematically. He was also a good man and I learned a lot about being a man from his example.

I had some good and bad bosses as a mechanic. I enjoyed the work but the pay sucked. I started going to college part-time about a year after I graduated HS and ultimately left being a professional mechanic behind, but I learned a lot that served me well.

Perhaps you should consider taking some gunsmithing classes. I would recommend finding a way that doesn't require undertaking a lot of debt in the process. If that means working one of those menial jobs and studying part-time, so be it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom