jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Exactly.

I am a bit confused by this article too. Was the issue that he wanted to wear his uniform, or that he didn't want to wear a gown over it? Looking elsewhere it was because he did not want to wear the cap and gown over it.

I highly doubt that student did not wear a cap and gown during the ceremony.

This...
    You can wear whatever you want or nothing at all UNDER the cap n gown. But all students must wear the cap n gown to cross the stage.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Showered today.

You are all welcome.

This...
    You can wear whatever you want or nothing at all UNDER the cap n gown. But all students must wear the cap n gown to cross the stage.

Actually there is a long standing tradition at graduation ceremonies that allow active military to wear their uniform at the graduation ceremony INSTEAD OF the traditional gown & mortarboard. I've been to graduation ceremonies were they bring all the active military up on stage/to the front, honor them with some special statements, present their diplomas, etc. Last one I went to was this year, there were about a dozen up at the front ... after they were presented the entire crowd of parents gave them a standing ovation.

What Crown Point did was abnormal and unusual based on what I have seen.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Yea, I know even classes in New Jersey called them up at the graduation ceremony to recognize them joining.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    There will be upset, but nothing will be done. Hopefully Indiana will be different, but usually it's always our graduation, our dress code. And it's understandable in a way, because if you allow his dress uniform what about the kid who earned chef uniform, or any number of exceptions. If it's put out well in advance, he's a Marine and knows rules apply. If he didn't seek previous approval, that's all on him.

Unbelievable, this is going to make national headlines. Already saw it on channel 7 news this morning.

Crown Point High School nixes U.S. Marine in uniform accepting diploma
    Crown Point High School nixes U.S. Marine in uniform accepting diploma | Local News | nwitimes.com

A Hobart High School graduate who marched in commencement services June 1 wore her military uniform, with the support of school administrators. They have a JROTC program too that gets a lot of support.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Also on yahoo.
    Such a nothing story too. People acting like the military uniform gives you a special pass. If it was that important they could have reseached it and asked the administration beforehand, but I'm sure he just showed up in the wrong uniform. Hell, ask him if he showed up in his dress blues to PT in boot what would have happened. Geez, it's that simple, be in the right uniform, not what you want. I hope his future team leaders drill that into him when he arrives to his unit.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You sound as if the act of joining the military doesn't make you a hero.

I served 8 years peacetime and still cringe when someone thanks me for my service. I do thank servicemen and women who serve/served in time of war. I personally see a difference.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Try wearing a cap and gown in formation back at the base and see what that gets you. Are we in favor of uniforms or not? The cap and gown is a uniform for a specific time and place. Let's dial back the outrage and let schools have rules. One school has one practice, another school has something different. Big deal.

I'm tired of purity tests and fake patriotism worn on the sleeve of local papers and facebook posters. The people getting all upset about this need to find a real problem. This is not even a thing, let alone something to be outraged about.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom