• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What's the biggest issue in this weather? ... the fuel turning to jelly? ... moisture in the air lines?

When the weather got to sub-zero temps over night we would throw a tarp over the cab of the truck and aim a small torpedo heater under the tarp to warm up engine, fuel tanks, fuel lines, brake lines, batteries, etc etc etc before starting it up. Once it was all thawed it was fine for the day. Frozen fuel and lines is only a real issue with diesels and only when the diesel fuel was not sufficiently thin. Winter blend diesel fuels generally are good enough. Even with gasoline vehicles you run the risk of frozen batteries. There is also a possibility with water in the gas tank from condensation which causes gasoline engines more grief than it should but again, winter blends and buying gas from a trusted source usually eliminates that as an issue.

To keep the fuel flowing in sustained cold we'd mix some kerosene into the diesel or add some diesel anti-gel additives (or both).

Only a real issue in sustained cold snaps (below 0 for a couple days) . If the trucks are kept in good condition they will typically start without issues.

I have 2 modern diesel cars that are kept in an unheated garage and have never had any issues with those.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Passing on this one with the road conditions, plus I just made a purchase from the 2 group buys and the classifieds. Valpo Show is where I am gearing up for.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Nothing like a furnace to heat the entire home and not send a large portion of heat up the chimney. ;) I see the dogs like it too. Dad has a wood burning stove and his dog will lay panting until dehydrated near it.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Nothing like a furnace to heat the entire home and not send a large portion of heat up the chimney. ;) I see the dogs like it too. Dad has a wood burning stove and his dog will lay panting until dehydrated near it.
    The funny thing is the furnace never kicks on when we use the fire place. I'm surprise that the back of the house doesn't get cold. Also there are metal deflector inserts that push most of the heat out. I would love a wood burning stove but the wife LOVES her fireplace. Happy wife, happy life :)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Lone, I was afraid that your post was going to be a disaster video so I didn't watch it until I saw a couple of comments. Very nice.

I used to like afv. but most of the videos are staged, so...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom