Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    ????
    Im lost what is the s&w thing about?

Copy and pasted:

A quick analysis of the current S&W fiasco by a lawyer/sponsored shooter friend that I am reposting with permission.

"I'm not speaking for SIG, Grayguns, my other sponsors, or my employer. This is my rant and I'm the only one responsible.

So we have here Apex, who at their own cost (from what I understand) offered gunsmithing services to keep competitors' S&W M&P guns running at the S&W title match - IDPA Indoor Nationals - when S&W wouldn't or couldn't. Brownells, who really needs no introduction. Some other fine companies making modifications that make people want to buy more M&Ps, and they hire someone from an expensive outside law firm, whose representative list of client industries doesn't include firearms or manufacturing, to write this flaming pile of [censored], sent out three days before Christmas and imposing a deadline that will be close to impossible to meet (not to mention ruinously expensive) given the holidays? And that's giving them the benefit of the doubt on the typo for the response deadline.

I take the point that the "Dream M&P" was announced just on Friday (and I'm willing to bet at least a few associates' weekends were ruined over this), but it's not like most of these companies don't have a history of providing a large and popular line of aftermarket accessories and modifications....and in fact, the overreaching demands go far beyond the "Dream M&P" that apparently brought S&W's hammer down, to products that S&W can't possibly argue that they weren't aware of in the past and indeed, they have acknowledged Apex's work in particular in their own marketing materials (see http://www.smith-wesson.com/.../BallisticIssue001_SW_58...)

AND this C&D is essentially to argue trademark confusion? Against companies that have arguably raised the perception of the brand (unless you want to count the fact that Apex has made any factory trigger S&W put on the M&P a joke) and who S&W has had ample opportunity to partner with? From companies whose general audiences are tinkerers, i.e., people who buy something and put flair on it?

AND if S&W wants to be consistent about this, where are their C&Ds against ATEI? SAI? Saying you have to act to preserve your rights in your marks (a la Kleenex or Thermos's failure to do so and subsequent genericization) is weak.

First salvo out from outside counsel is ridiculous. This should have been handled by a phone call by senior executives requesting that it be made clear S&W was not a sponsor/supporter and/or a letter from in-house counsel. And long before this, S&W should have been working on partnering with Apex in any case.

See also: Streisand effect.

PS - I have never been prouder to be wearing SIG's logo on my back. You know, the company that recognized one of their premier aftermarket parts makers by putting one of their most visible parts into their new elite line?"

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yes ... and it's not like the smaller company sneaks into the S&W warehouse at night and modifies the pistol. This is a pistol that is purchased by the smaller company and modified as part of a promotion. It's a win-win for everyone. The smaller company gets its product out there ... S&W gets continued name recognition which results in increased sales.

What S&W fails to recognize is that a lot of people only purchase their M&P line of pistols because they know that upgrades are available. It would be like GLOCK telling sight manufacturers to cease and desist the manufacture of aftermarket sights for GLOCK pistols. That would be pure insanity. S&W is insane ... or insanely stupid. This only reinforces what I realized a while back ... the majority of executives at the big gun companies are not shooters. They're only there to push pencils and count beans.

Should they be shooters?
    I would rather they not be shooters but instead have the knowledge to know how to run a biz and in this case GTF out of the way of the smaller company and/or buy them out.
    I would rather have a CEO that knows how to run a biz then know about the product. That is what your 2nd layer of management is for.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In the "Gun Industry" they absolutely should be shooters! I didn't say they shouldn't have MBAs. They should have some business savvy but they should definitely be shooters. What is happening right now with S&W is a prime example of what happens when they are not. That "2nd layer of management" in the gun industry should be there to recognize beneficial partnerships with other leaders in the industry. If the CEO were a "shooter" he would see the stupidity of something like what S&W is doing right now and put the kibosh on it before it even leaves his office.

Products like guns, cars, aircraft, and similar specialty products should require some product knowledge from their top tier management.

In my opinion, one of the problems with this country is that is that big companies are no longer run by anyone with any knowledge of the product.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I honestly think The Brass Queen would still destroy the Brass Wizard.

[video=youtube_share;MSX_s88SJDQ]http://youtu.be/MSX_s88SJDQ[/video]

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I just bring the wife to the range.... All the brass comes home and then it ends up separated according to caliber in the reloading room within several hours...

This S&W thing isn't going to go well for Smith I believe. Real shooters like making their guns theirs and this has built a extensive aftermarket product industry.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Back on that S&W thing,I kinda remember some years back they also was sucking up to the Gubment,back stabbing the industry,trying to get contracts or something......I think they have had a Mngt Ethics problem for quit some time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom