18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    LATEST UPDATE:

Highland is now 1% against the tax increase
    Munster is now 72% in favor of the tax increase
    Lowell is still 65% solidly against the tax increase
    LAST UPDATE:

• Highland swung to AGAINST with roughly a 4% margin opposing a tax increase to fund the schools
    • Lowell stayed solidly AGAINST with 65% opposed
    • Munster staying at 72% in APPROVAL
    So 2 districts lost their appeal to the tax payers to pay for money for mediocre systems. 1 district, which is already among the best schools in the state, got a raise and continues more support from their taxpayers. I've lived in the Lowell district for 20+ years and never been impressed with the district, my wife taught here, but we sent our daughter to private school. Lived in Highland 10+ years and never was impressed with their schools, it was always "not Munster" in most ways. I lived in Munster for 20+ years and was always impressed with their school system.

It could also be noted that Lowell is solid middle class, the class hurt most by tax increases and inflation. Munster is far more upper middle class income earners and better able to absorb the effects of inflation and tax increases. Highland residential demographics are probably in-between the residents of Lowell and Munster. So income and life situation could very largely have made a big difference in the votes.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    LAST UPDATE:

• Highland swung to AGAINST with roughly a 4% margin opposing a tax increase to fund the schools
    • Lowell stayed solidly AGAINST with 65% opposed
    • Munster staying at 72% in APPROVAL
    So 2 districts lost their appeal to the tax payers to pay for money for mediocre systems. 1 district, which is already among the best schools in the state, got a raise and continues more support from their taxpayers. I've lived in the Lowell district for 20+ years and never been impressed with the district, my wife taught here, but we sent our daughter to private school. Lived in Highland 10+ years and never was impressed with their schools, it was always "not Munster" in most ways. I lived in Munster for 20+ years and was always impressed with their school system.

It could also be noted that Lowell is solid middle class, the class hurt most by tax increases and inflation. Munster is far more upper middle class income earners and better able to absorb the effects of inflation and tax increases. Highland residential demographics are probably in-between the residents of Lowell and Munster. So income and life situation could very largely have made a big difference in the votes.
    I also think what might of helped Lowell reject it is Schneider and Shelby. Some of the folks out there are a little anti government .

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Had to run checks to the Legion for the beer delivery.

Walked out of the house in my sweat pants, which are my 'indoor' clothes.

Guess what doesn't have the house key in it....

ZurokSlayer7X9

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    And my service engine light is on.
    I JUST had 150k mile service done.
    So now....
    When it rains, it pours. Not that my problems compare to severe pain, but Monday was "National Do Not Work Day". Server went out at work, so I can't finish my projects (which have deadlines this week). I go home, and my Dad's water heater flooded the basement (which is also where my room is). I found out an entire load bearing wall on the house I'm remodeling is riddled with water and carpenter ant damage. And a $1500 GPU in my computer goes out.

Seriously, I hope it isn't anything serious, though. And, good luck.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    When it rains, it pours. Not that my problems compare to severe pain, but Monday was "National Do Not Work Day". Server went out at work, so I can't finish my projects (which have deadlines this week). I go home, and my Dad's water heater flooded the basement (which is also where my room is). I found out an entire load bearing wall on the house I'm remodeling is riddled with water and carpenter ant damage. And a $1500 GPU in my computer goes out.

Seriously, I hope it isn't anything serious, though. And, good luck.
    And I hope your stuff works out too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom