• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Sweet. I'm 24 so it really doesn't affect me, but calling the ATF out on it's BS is always a good thing.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I've never even heard an attempt at the reasoning behind that restriction. :n00b:

It's been the source of endless confusion and very much needs to go.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    No Way! The NRA fighting for 2A rights. Can't be. This must be a back door way for the NRA to roll over.

Yeah I never understood the logic behind the 21 year rule? Another example of our fine gun control laws.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I've never even heard an attempt at the reasoning behind that restriction.

Hop in Uncle Kirk's Time Travelmobile.:D

Remember, one of the early rationales for the Safe Streets Act prohibiting interstate sales was that "juvenile delinquents" were buying guns through the mail (remember many states prohibited children from buying handguns; Indiana's law was 16, although my father bought his first pistol at 12 at Schmaltz's Sporting Goods as he had a letter from my grandfather). The NRA lobbied for an affidavit which would allow interstate sales (thus the NRA is blamed for lobbying for the GCA of 1968) to those that verify that they were 18 and older.

Later in the '60s the race riots allowed Kennedy and Dodd to argue to Southern Democrats in positions of power and influence in the Senate that the SSA and GCA were necessary to control Blacks.

I have book recommendations if you are interested in the history of the SSA/GCA of 1968.

Last edited:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.

Later in the '60s the race riots allowed Kennedy and Dodd to argue to Southern Democrats in positions of power and influence in the Senate that the SSA and GCA were necessary to control Blacks.
    After having read "American History in Black and White" by David Barton, nothing, but nothing relating to the Democratic Party and Race relations can surprise me. By the way, I've heard thru trusted sources that the Flux Capacitor in the Travelmobile is "Fluxed Up", and it goes places us old guys don't want to go. Be careful in that thing! :D

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

Remember, one of the early rationales for the Safe Streets Act prohibiting interstate sales was that "juvenile delinquents" were buying guns through the mail (remember many states prohibited children from buying handguns; Indiana's law was 16, although my father bought his first pistol at 12 at Schmaltz's Sporting Goods as he had a letter from my grandfather). The NRA lobbied for an affidavit which would allow interstate sales (thus the NRA is blamed for lobbying for the GCA of 1968) to those that verify that they were 18 and older.

I have book recommendations if you are interested in the history of the SSA/GCA of 1968.

Would this be the Schmaltz's on Walnut street in Bloomington? That place was great.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Was it on Walnut?

I remember it was close to the courthouse. My paternal grandparents lived on 4th Street and my brother and I would always bicycle over to Schmaltz's and look at the stuffed critters and guns.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Was it on Walnut?

I remember it was close to the courthouse. My paternal grandparents lived on 4th Street and my brother and I would always bicycle over to Schmaltz's and look at the stuffed critters and guns.

Everyone in Bloomington always talked about Schmaltz's but, unfortunately, I arrived too late, in '89, about 5 years after they closed down or so I'm told. They still had Warren's and Stewart's at that time, but they were smaller and harder to deal with than Schmaltz's according to the old-timers.

esigler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I.know my 18 year old would love to see the age reduced from 21. I don't see how Texas gets a betterer grade on gun friendly vs IN. This used to be the wild west, but no more. Too many place you can't carry, there is no open carry. To get a gun license is expensive plus the long course you must complete. Which is why I'm glad I have my Utah.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    "Let the Congress pass laws to bring the insane traffic in guns to a halt, as I have appealed to them time and time again to do. That will not, in itself, end the violence, but reason and experience tell us that it will slow it down; that it will spare many innocent lives."

LBJ, June 5, 1968

Jer,

Check out:

To Keep and Bear Arms, Bill R. Davidson (1969) (written very close to the passage of the SSA/GCA, gives an excellent feel to the times).

Gun Control, Robert J. Kukla (1973).

Our Vanishing Freedom: The Right to Keep and Bear Arms, J. Whisker (1973).

I don't see how Texas gets a betterer grade on gun friendly vs IN.
    Because Texas is held in place by myth! See Kirk's First Law.:D Rhino, that's one more case.

No, seriously it is because the Brady grades are given out by people who know absolutely nothing about guns or gun laws.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    that would be awsome. i think the law is stupid anyway. i can buy a handgun privately carry it and own it legally. but cant buy it from an ffl or buy ammo. stupid.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...Because Texas is held in place by myth!...

Incorrect, sir! Texas is not held in place by a myth. It's simple physics:

The reason Texas has not fallen into the Gulf can be proven by the fact that all trees in Texas sway North. And why, you ask? Why is this so?

Simple. Oklahoma sucks.

Texas.gif
    Don't mess with Texas.
    Texas.gif

/thread

Blessings,
    Bill

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    that would be awsome. i think the law is stupid anyway. i can buy a handgun privately carry it and own it legally. but cant buy it from an ffl or buy ammo. stupid.

Yeah, years ago when my father purchased my first handgun for me, he explained the whole "permit and carry when you're 18, but can't buy until you're 21", and it just kind of boggled my mind, still does....
    Used to be able to go into Big Blue or whatever and pick up whatever ammo I wanted (and did quite a bit, dad would hand me some cash, say "go pick up a couple boxes of <whatever> before I get home from work after you get out of school and we'll go shoot" never a problem), now most STORE policies require you to be 18 for rifle ammo and 21 for handgun ammo.
    Does an 18 year old have to bring his 9mm carbine into the store to prove it's not for a pistol?
    As an aside, they also check to see if you're 18 to buy fuel injector or carb cleaner now, wth?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Used to be able to go into Big Blue or whatever and pick up whatever ammo I wanted (and did quite a bit, dad would hand me some cash, say "go pick up a couple boxes of <whatever> before I get home from work after you get out of school and we'll go shoot" never a problem), now most STORE policies require you to be 18 for rifle ammo and 21 for handgun ammo.

Yes, before 1968 one under 21 could do this. This is federal law, not just store policy.

I would speculate that after striking down the 21+ rule for buying pistols from FFLs that 21+ for pistol ammo will be the NRA's next target.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Always glad to see the NRA on offense instead of defense.

And it's going to take a lot of concerted and consistent offense (not just by the NRA, but true conservatives everywhere) to gain back the yardage lost since the 1930's.

Top Bottom