• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What do we get out of this good faith? In my experience good faith is used in negotiations and I may be wrong, but I don't see any negotiating happening. Also, I've seen good faith used just to have the other party pull out the knife and stab it in the back.

Probably nothing. Not everything can be a trade, unfortunately.

Guess we have to trust those that have our best interests in mind to negotiate on our behalf. I'm pessimistic on any positive outcome, though. I can't imagine, post shooting, they'd be willing to give us any of our cake back.

Well hell, let's give'em an 80% lower ban too, if we're all good banning things that cheat the system?

That's definitely what I said. Keep assuming how I feel about everything.

You should be saying these things to the NRA, not me.

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    Bump firing is no longer an expensive range trick. Every lunatic in the USA and many of its enemies now know that a bumpfire has value in inflicting fast damage and terror.

A stupid range toy.

It's an automatic weapon by any stretch of the imagination, if you look at the result rather than parsing the words of a specific law.

It should be banned.

Replace "bump stock" with "30rd mag" and the same logic applies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Right. We understand this. They don't. I've seen enough bull**** and misinformation, though, to know explaining the difference isn't going to help.

600 rounds per minute and 700 rounds per minute are a difference that doesn't matter.

I didn't used to understand this. I've been around guns in my life, but I've not been a gun guy until just several years ago. 20 years ago I'd probably be one of the Fudds thinking we should ban these toys. But learning enough to understand the difference gives me a different perspective. I think we should have a platform to inform people just like we're informed. But the anti-gun zealots want to preserve the image of gun owners as they've built it over the past several years. That's really where the battle is, I think.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I didn't used to understand this. I've been around guns in my life, but I've not been a gun guy until just several years ago. 20 years ago I'd probably be one of the Fudds thinking we should ban these toys. But learning enough to understand the difference gives me a different perspective. I think we should have a platform to inform people just like we're informed. But the anti-gun zealots want to preserve the image of gun owners as they've built it over the past several years. That's really where the battle is, I think.

Yeah, I agree... good luck getting that message out to the masses though. Is it worth the effort?

If they were coming after magazine capacities or more practical AR modifications, I'd say yes.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    For some reason I am reminded of the folks that are big free speech proponents as long as it wouldn't lead to violence or other unfortunate reactions from other people. Then it is okay to infringe.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Is the bump stock a firearm? Does it fall within the definition of "arms" in 2A?
    Doesn't Heller come into play if you believe it to be an "arm"?

Do mechanical or electro-mechanical assistance devices incorporated into firearms change the character of a firearm from semi-auto to auto?

You know my position. I'm not going to appear to be a crazy gun advocate for something that is not a gun, is not designed as a real defensive tool and I would never use to protect my family and suggest you never do so either.

As to the thumb bump....I shot long guns in a number of competitions over the years. Probably between 5,000 and 7,000 rounds per year. I'm very familiar with hip-shooting and know how difficult it can be under the stress of competition. It isn't easy when you have plenty of time. Thumb bumping is not the same as a mechanical device to assist in accelerating the rate of fire. If you think it's the same, I suggest you try and do so...particularly if you believe an opponent has the capability of returning fire.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    My initial reaction to what the NRA stated is to be pissed off at them.

However, I've decided I'm reserving judgement on the NRA for now.

They asked he ATF to review a product that has twice been approved by the ATF under Obama. Nothing about that product has changed. In theory, the NRA has done this to show the public they are reasonable while knowing full well bumpfire stocks will probably not be banned.

They also requested national reciprocity be passed in the same statement. Trading bumpfire for that would be a win in my book.

I'll just have to see how this plays out. It's unfortunate that reality dictates we have to negotiate and trade like this to keep or gain rights.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, I agree... good luck getting that message out to the masses though. Is it worth the effort?

If they were coming after magazine capacities or more practical AR modifications, I'd say yes.

It's not about defending bump fire stocks. That's not the hill. The hill is putting the blame where it belongs. It's always been that hill, even when they were trying to re-ban "Assault Weapons".

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My initial reaction to what the NRA stated is to be pissed off at them.

However, I've decided I'm reserving judgement on the NRA for now.

They asked he ATF to review a product that has twice been approved by the ATF under Obama. Nothing about that product has changed. In theory, the NRA has done this to show the public they are reasonable while knowing full well bumpfire stocks will probably not be banned.

They also requested national reciprocity be passed in the same statement. Trading bumpfire for that would be a win in my book.

I'll just have to see how this plays out. It's unfortunate that reality dictates we have to negotiate and trade like this to keep or gain rights.

I'd be okay with it if they'd not made that one statement which the media is using to report that the NRA is on board with banning bump-fire stocks. The way Republicans are latching onto it, it's looking more like they're making this the sacrificial turd. And the way the media is reporting the NRA's approval, it gives them cover. Even Fox News is reporting it that way.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The real problem here: rich people.

Rich people should have to register with the government whenever they want to buy something. And when they engage in risky activities like high-stakes gambling.

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    Is the bump stock a firearm? Does it fall within the definition of "arms" in 2A?
    Doesn't Heller come into play if you believe it to be an "arm"?

Do mechanical or electro-mechanical assistance devices incorporated into firearms change the character of a firearm from semi-auto to auto?

You know my position. I'm not going to appear to be a crazy gun advocate for something that is not a gun, is not designed as a real defensive tool and I would never use to protect my family and suggest you never do so either.

Replace "bump stock" with "30rd mag" and the same logic applies.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've read this entire thread.

Not. One. Inch.

I don't own a bump fire stock, I don't know anybody who owns one, I've never shot one, I've never seen one live and in person.

Don't care.

It's an accessory, not a gun.

Don't care.

Not. One. Inch.

It's the mad killer who was crazy, not the device.

Not. One. Inch.

I'm not supporting any ban on anything. I fully expect these to be banned, and soon. But I don't support that, and you can believe I'll keep track of my duly elected officials who do support this. This will be a check mark for them on the negative side.

Not. One. Inch.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here is the NRA's actual joint statement of Wayne LaPierre and Chris Cox.

https://home.nra.org/joint-statement/

They're basically seeing that regulations are coming for bump stocks so are kindof getting on board with "something" without being specific, while at the same time pushing national reciprocity.

I'll need time to think about trading bump stocks for national reciprocity. My kneejerk reaction is mixed.

Regards,

Doug

Important points:
    Obama BATF reviewed & approved bump fire stocks twice,
    NRA is calling on BATF to review bump stocks for compliance,
    Congress to pass National reciprocity so individuals can protect themselves.

Trading a worthless, but fun, toy in exchange for reciprocity is something I can get behind.

I can see the strategy and wisdom of the NRA course of action. I do not find the bump fire stock to be a hill on which I am prepared to fight and die. If it were put in the same category as the suppressor I would not object. Actually, when the bump fires were first approved I was surprised. It did not seem like a wise or responsible decision to me. The full auto is banned, and the bump fire stock essentially makes the AR-15 full auto.

Personally, I would trade the bump fire stock, making it subject to greater scrutiny as with the suppressor, for nation-wide reciprocity. My wife want to visit Yosemite but I cannot go there with any weapons in the travel trailer. I am banned from the West coast, and I cannot get to New England because I have to pass through New York or Canada. Therefore, at this point, I agree with the NRA. Let's get the reciprocity so we can exercise our Second Amendment rights nation wide.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've read this entire thread.

Not. One. Inch.

I don't own a bump fire stock, I don't know anybody who owns one, I've never shot one, I've never seen one live and in person.

Don't care.

It's an accessory, not a gun.

Don't care.

Not. One. Inch.

It's the mad killer who was crazy, not the device.

Not. One. Inch.

I'm not supporting any ban on anything. I fully expect these to be banned, and soon. But I don't support that, and you can believe I'll keep track of my duly elected officials who do support this. This will be a check mark for them on the negative side.

Not. One. Inch.

Well said. Inch = Mile. I hate the quick conceding that was done on all sides. It's :poop:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can see the strategy and wisdom of the NRA course of action. I do not find the bump fire stock to be a hill on which I am prepared to fight and die. If it were put in the same category as the suppressor I would not object. Actually, when the bump fires were first approved I was surprised. It did not seem like a wise or responsible decision to me. The full auto is banned, and the bump fire stock essentially makes the AR-15 full auto.

Personally, I would trade the bump fire stock, making it subject to greater scrutiny as with the suppressor, for nation-wide reciprocity. My wife want to visit Yosemite but I cannot go there with any weapons in the travel trailer. I am banned from the West coast, and I cannot get to New England because I have to pass through New York or Canada. Therefore, at this point, I agree with the NRA. Let's get the reciprocity so we can exercise our Second Amendment nation wide.

Bump-fire in itself is a turd. That's not the hill I'm fighting for. I'm fighting against the idea that banning stuff will solve this. I'm fighting against the idea that it's the tool at fault and not the shooter.

Is THAT hill worth the fight?

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    If it were put in the same category as the suppressor I would not object.

To me the hoops currently jumped through for the suppressor is completely and utterly ridiculous. It's the gun that is the weapon, not the suppressor. It's not like the movies where it is silent to shot through one. The guns go through background checks. I'm not aware of crimes performed with them by thugs. And crime and murder are still illegal, so again it's a hurdle made for people to feel better so that the law abiding citizens jump over it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom