• Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Bill,
    To answer your question honestly and directly, no, no benefit that I'm aware of unless you would consider front section seating at the annual member meetings a "benefit".
    For full disclosure, I bought my lifetime membership almost 20 years ago. I used the easy payment plan at the time, but I pad full price $750 IIRC.
    I have upgraded to the next level when I could. Over the years I've manged to climb my way to the top, a lot of ot through their bargain price offerings.
    I've also taken advantage of their "Legacy Life" gift memberships. I've given a Legacy Life membership to at least 4 of my nephews.

I no longer get solicitations because I opted out years ago.
    I do get regular solicitations from both the NRA-ILA and NRA-PVF, but those are both by my choice. I send contributions to both the NRA-ILA (Institute for Legislative Action) and the NRA-PVF (Political Victory Fund) when I can.
    I appreciate and value my "right" to keep and bear arms, be it for self-defense, sporting, or any other reason I choose.

These are my decisions, and mine alone. I make no judgement on others who choose, or choose not to join any club, organization, idea...

To quote one Charlie Daniels- "If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long-haired country boy alone".
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs4y5si8DGs

Thank you, sir. I appreciate the info.

But they choose to refuse to aknowledge the NFA or do anything for that cause. They've swept it under the rug. Probably because they know that if they tried anything to bring attention to it people would find out that the NRA at the time helped pass it in the first place

Did they? My understanding was that they came to the table and moderated the result, probably because passage was inevitable. I don't have documentation in front of me, but I also recall that suppressors became part of the NFA in place of handguns, which they initially wanted in there. In short, if the :poop: sandwich is going to be the main course, you may as well do what you can to ensure you get as small a bite of it as possible.

I'm no NRA apologist. They've done enough that I'm not happy about, but I'm going to fault them for what they did against my rights, not just go looking for fault and inventing it where it isn't due. (Not saying you in particular are doing that, only that some people do.)

Blessings,
    Bill

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    To answer BoR's question, I'm an Endowment Member and I see no added benefit other than the "prestige" (and I did get a nice desk statue). But I will continue upgrading, probably at the Annual Meetings. And I have and will send a few extra bucks their way occasionally.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    What do the NRA haters do, (other than trashing the NRA,:rolleyes:) to support and bolster our second amendment?

My guess is they will tell you they join SAF and GOA, which are also very vocal groups; though their voices don't seem to carry quite the weight that the NRA does, they do tend to be harder-lined than NRA is, which is to say, less compromising. I can see benefit there, but it's important to remember that when you take an "all or none" approach, you're saying that either outcome is acceptable to you. That's fine as long as you get "all", but far less so when you get "none".

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The SAF is actually very effective in their area. They concentrate on court cases, while the NRA is more about the legislative side. The SAF are the ones that argued the Heller and McDonald cases before the Supreme Court among many other cases. They are my "second" 2A organization. John Lott (More Guns, Less Crime) does a lot of historical and statistical research and presents that info to factually counter liberal anti-gun propaganda. Consequently, the Crime Prevention Research Center has become my third.

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    This is what I have a huge problem with:

Forbes Welcome

In 2010 $227 million in and $243 million out.

$33 million in salaries and wages
    $28 million advertising and promotions
    $57 million membership communications
    $24 million for printing and shipping
    $16 million for educational programs
    $10 million to the NRA's lobbying arm

They spend a lot of money to get more members so they can get more money to get more members. Not enough money goes to lobbying.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    The SAF is actually very effective in their area. They concentrate on court cases, while the NRA is more about the legislative side. The SAF are the ones that argued the Heller and McDonald cases before the Supreme Court among many other cases. They are my "second" 2A organization. John Lott (More Guns, Less Crime) does a lot of historical and statistical research and presents that info to factually counter liberal anti-gun propaganda. Consequently, the Crime Prevention Research Center has become my third.

I clicked on the saf link and couldn't help but notice in the benefits and discounts section at the bottom listed AMC and regal theaters.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I clicked on the saf link and couldn't help but notice in the benefits and discounts section at the bottom listed AMC and regal theaters.

You have a problem with 2A supporters getting discounts at the movies? I hope you aren't seriously arguing that is a reason to not support their efforts to fight for our gun rights in the courts.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    You have a problem with gun owners getting discounts at the movies? I hope you aren't seriously arguing that is a reason to not support their efforts to fight for our gun rights in the courts.

I'm not. It's just odd especially with how anti movie theaters are.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

You have a problem with 2A supporters getting discounts at the movies? I hope you aren't seriously arguing that is a reason to not support their efforts to fight for our gun rights in the courts.

I'm not. It's just odd especially with how anti movie theaters are.

IIRC, (and I have not verified this,) the theater in CO that was shot up during the Batman premiere was AMC, and there's a thread on here where Regal is checking purses supposedly to enforce their "no guns" policy (actually seems that's more about snacks than about guns, but that's the line they're going with, so I'll hold their feet to the fire over it)

I would suggest that one or the other partner should terminate that relationship, personally. I know that were I a member of SAF, I would not find that to be a drawing card to maintain membership.

Again, those are only my thoughts on the matter. Their circus, their monkeys (SAF and AMC/Regal, respectively, not a comment on members)

Blessings,
    Bill

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Did they? My understanding was that they came to the table and moderated the result, probably because passage was inevitable. I don't have documentation in front of me, but I also recall that suppressors became part of the NFA in place of handguns, which they initially wanted in there.

Nice to compromise some rights away instead of standing up for all rights. Bigger picture, we'll get it back eventually kind of thing. NRA back then didn't care about suppressors, machine guns, SBRs, etc. I think the president at the time said the American people shouldn't own those items anyway. NRA long supported hunters instead of all gun rights/shooters.

NRA also had a fair amount of input in the GCA of 68 which they tend not to bring up

What do the NRA haters do, (other than trashing the NRA,:rolleyes:) to support and bolster our second amendment?

Just because I'm not on the NRA stroke off fest makes me detrimental to gun rights? There's plenty of NRA who would sell out other gun owners because they don't agree that the people should own certain firearms. I've met proud NRA members that absolutely hate "assault rifles" (ARs, AKs) and that civilians shouldn't own them. Plenty of members who say suppressors ate only for people who want to shoot someone. Then a lot who say all semi auto firearms are for people who can't shoot and if they wanted a real gun they'd get a bolt gun or lever gun, part of their belief is that no mass shooter has used one of those styles. Those same people don't think wars have been fought with bolt actions or you hand them a M1A and they cream themselves.

NRA can't (or won't) screen their members, but maybe they should. A smaller group of hard core people who fight for all rights is better than having a bunch of compromisers mixed in.

The AWB of 94 should never have passed if the NRA is the all mighty civil rights group you think they are

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    NRA can't (or won't) screen their members, but maybe they should. A smaller group of hard core people who fight for all rights is better than having a bunch of compromisers mixed in.

Yes, if the NRA only had fewer members, then they would really be a force to be reckoned with...

It's okay. Keep sitting in the wagon while the rest of us push/pull it with our dues/donations.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Nice to compromise some rights away instead of standing up for all rights. Bigger picture, we'll get it back eventually kind of thing. NRA back then didn't care about suppressors, machine guns, SBRs, etc. I think the president at the time said the American people shouldn't own those items anyway. NRA long supported hunters instead of all gun rights/shooters.

NRA also had a fair amount of input in the GCA of 68 which they tend not to bring up

Just because I'm not on the NRA stroke off fest makes me detrimental to gun rights? There's plenty of NRA who would sell out other gun owners because they don't agree that the people should own certain firearms. I've met proud NRA members that absolutely hate "assault rifles" (ARs, AKs) and that civilians shouldn't own them. Plenty of members who say suppressors ate only for people who want to shoot someone. Then a lot who say all semi auto firearms are for people who can't shoot and if they wanted a real gun they'd get a bolt gun or lever gun, part of their belief is that no mass shooter has used one of those styles. Those same people don't think wars have been fought with bolt actions or you hand them a M1A and they cream themselves.

The AWB of 94 should never have passed if the NRA is the all mighty civil rights group you think they are

In other words, you do nothing to support the 2A, other than complaining about the NRA?

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I'll just say that while the NRA is not perfect by any means, they are (in my opinion at least) the #1 advocate defending firearms rights. I encourage INGO members to support them and consider the current $500 Life Membership offer if at all possible. They even offer an "ez payment plan" of $25 per month or per quarter if you can't afford it all at once.

You may also want to consider the gift membership of $20 each. Perfect gift for those you love or for your favorite liberal politician.

Do they solicit additional support? Yes. Can you ignore it? Indeed!

Are there other 2A supporting groups out there? Yes, Gun Owners of America, Second Amendment Foundation, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (CCRKBA) as well as a number of others. If you just can't bring yourself to support the NRA, please consider one of these others.

Obama, Hillary, and other anti's continually point to the NRA as the epitome of evil in the world. So for me, that means they ARE doing something right!!

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I got my dues increase letter the other day, and they are offering Life Members, like me, an upgrade to Endowment Life Membership for $200, a savings of $800. And, this $200 can be paid in monthly $25 payments. I am thinking about doing that.

Oh yeah... You also get a Ridgeline Pathfinder premium-grade backpack.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I got my dues increase letter the other day, and they are offering Life Members, like me, an upgrade to Endowment Life Membership for $200, a savings of $800. And, this $200 can be paid in monthly $25 payments. I am thinking about doing that.

Oh yeah... You also get a Ridgeline Pathfinder premium-grade backpack.

Yeah. I think the next level after that is sooper-dooler extra special lifetime membership. I think you get a majik-wok and a ginsu knife set with that one.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The Ginsu knife set! Man, I didn't see that when I signed up for the Life membership. Hey, maybe it's in this Stand and Fight letter I haven't opened yet.

If you're not a member/supporter of an organization fighting to maintain the 2A you'd better be writing a lot of letters to your representatives...if not just go ahead and gift wrap those weapons for the folks coming to get them.

Top Bottom