• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I got a lifetime for $300 as well. Just sit tight. They will have another lifetime drive at the beginning of 2016 I bet. As well as a few others threw out the year.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    For those who haven't yet, I'd like to encourage you not to buy a lifetime membership. The NRA needs to earn its membership year by year.

I support the NRA as long as they fight the good fight for 2A rights. But I would not discount the possibility that they may not always. Remember that .orgs can become as corrupt as .gov.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    Granted they need money with al thats coming down the pipe, but wouldn't it be easy to get money people to join at say $300 then at $1500? economics is all.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I got a lifetime for $300 as well. Just sit tight. They will have another lifetime drive at the beginning of 2016 I bet. As well as a few others threw out the year.

I think the $300 lifetime memberships are over with...at least until they need to drum up some business. My wife bought mine for father's day (or my birthday) and $500 was as cheap as I'd seen them going for in awhile.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I renew as it comes up as my age dictates not going for the life time at this point.

For those who haven't yet, I'd like to encourage you not to buy a lifetime membership. The NRA needs to earn its membership year by year.

I support the NRA as long as they fight the good fight for 2A rights. But I would not discount the possibility that they may not always. Remember that .orgs can become as corrupt as .gov.

^^^ This and this. ^^^

I'm a strong supporter of the NRA. That said, if they took a wishy-washy direction rather than the hard line necessary, they NEED to be able to see their numbers fall.

A good thing to follow is how much effort is put into the current anti-gunner push for "universal background checks." You and I know exactly what that means, as we follow it closely.

However, your average 2A backer could very easily be convinced that UBC's are OK because it doesn't affect them and their gun store purchasing. The NRA needs to be educating every gun owner as to why UBC is such a terrible idea with major advertising campaigns. Elections are coming and now is the time.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    ^^this.

I am a Life member. I got mine a few years ago, for $300. That option is still open, if you have a "friend or family member" who is a Life member sponsor you. I signed up for that to avoid the constant renewal hassle and also to get the firearm insurance that comes with membership. I opted out of mailings. I think they're sometimes in favor of things I don't support, but by and large, they get attention inside the Beltway and in Indianapolis as well.

The question I have, for Endowment/Benefactor/Patron members... is there any benefit (other than knowing you sent money to help fight for our rights) to upgrading from Life to one of those levels?
    (and no, I don't consider the backpack or a jacket or whatever to be a benefit)

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill,
    To answer your question honestly and directly, no, no benefit that I'm aware of unless you would consider front section seating at the annual member meetings a "benefit".
    For full disclosure, I bought my lifetime membership almost 20 years ago. I used the easy payment plan at the time, but I pad full price $750 IIRC.
    I have upgraded to the next level when I could. Over the years I've manged to climb my way to the top, a lot of ot through their bargain price offerings.
    I've also taken advantage of their "Legacy Life" gift memberships. I've given a Legacy Life membership to at least 4 of my nephews.

I no longer get solicitations because I opted out years ago.
    I do get regular solicitations from both the NRA-ILA and NRA-PVF, but those are both by my choice. I send contributions to both the NRA-ILA (Institute for Legislative Action) and the NRA-PVF (Political Victory Fund) when I can.
    I appreciate and value my "right" to keep and bear arms, be it for self-defense, sporting, or any other reason I choose.

These are my decisions, and mine alone. I make no judgement on others who choose, or choose not to join any club, organization, idea...

To quote one Charlie Daniels- "If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long-haired country boy alone".
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs4y5si8DGs

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    You guys all ( okay most ) of you are missing the real point... You should give some extra money when you can. This is the group that fights for us, we might not always agree but I would rather have them then not. To say you are not a member because you are sick of them asking for money is just dumb, that is what they do to keep up the fight. I give money to Saint Jude Hospital all the time, guess what..... They send me something every month to ask for more, because they need it to fight cancer for kids, I send them money when I can, I never complain that I get an extra envelope in the mail that day. The NRA is who we pay to battle the cancer in Washington, so get over it. Just because you are a life member doesn't mean you should never give them money again. Shooting is an expensive hobby and if you enjoy it I think you should be able to part with a little extra cash once in a while to help that cause. Drop Mic.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    They've had a hell of a long time to get the NFA removed, same with the Hughes Amendment.

When they get either of those taken care of I'll support them. They need to quit picking and choosing their battles.

When they "stand up" for some gun rights, they need to stand up for them all.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You guys all ( okay most ) of you are missing the real point... You should give some extra money when you can. This is the group that fights for us, we might not always agree but I would rather have them then not. To say you are not a member because you are sick of them asking for money is just dumb, that is what they do to keep up the fight. I give money to Saint Jude Hospital all the time, guess what..... They send me something every month to ask for more, because they need it to fight cancer for kids, I send them money when I can, I never complain that I get an extra envelope in the mail that day. The NRA is who we pay to battle the cancer in Washington, so get over it. Just because you are a life member doesn't mean you should never give them money again. Shooting is an expensive hobby and if you enjoy it I think you should be able to part with a little extra cash once in a while to help that cause. Drop Mic.

You can be a year-by-year member and still donate more when times require it. Just as my discontinued membership would be one consequence for them not doing what I want, the consequence for fighting hard for 2A rights is donating more money. I'll reward them for what they're doing and not for what they've done or promise to do in the future. I'm a firm believer in the concept behind "what have you done for me lately?"

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    They've had a hell of a long time to get the NFA removed, same with the Hughes Amendment.

When they get either of those taken care of I'll support them. They need to quit picking and choosing their battles.

I don't fault them for choosing to fight the battles they can win now and waiting on battles they can't.

There is zero chance of getting NFA repealed without Republican majorities in both houses and a Republican president. But I would like to see the NRA doing more to prepare the soil for that potential harvest. Having young spokesmen like Colion Noir helps to do that. But I'd like to see the NRA find and back ten thousand guys like him.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I don't fault them for choosing to fight the battles they can win now and waiting on battles they can't.

But they choose to refuse to aknowledge the NFA or do anything for that cause. They've swept it under the rug. Probably because they know that if they tried anything to bring attention to it people would find out that the NRA at the time helped pass it in the first place

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    You can be a year-by-year member and still donate more when times require it. Just as my discontinued membership would be one consequence for them not doing what I want, the consequence for fighting hard for 2A rights is donating more money. I'll reward them for what they're doing and not for what they've done or promise to do in the future. I'm a firm believer in the concept behind "what have you done for me lately?"
    This is where I'm at. I'm a yearly renewal member as well. I like to have some control over my continuing support. I can always pitch in more as needed. No regrets that way. I even kick in a few extra bucks whenever I purchase anything online at Midway USA through their round-up program.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But they choose to refuse to aknowledge the NFA or do anything for that cause. They've swept it under the rug. Probably because they know that if they tried anything to bring attention to it people would find out that the NRA at the time helped pass it in the first place

Part of the concept of "what have you done for me lately" is that it works both ways. I can forgive past transactions for the sake of current performance. So I do think it's membership should let the NRA leadership that it needs to start working towards repealing the NFA, even if all they can do now is prepare the soil.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Part of the concept of "what have you done for me lately" is that it works both ways. I can forgive past transactions for the sake of current performance. So I do think it's membership should let the NRA leadership that it needs to start working towards repealing the NFA, even if all they can do now is prepare the soil.

To my knowledge, the NRA has never came out and apologized for screwing us. They make right what they screwed up in the first place, or at least admit "hey we screwed up", then maybe I can come close to calling them a good cause instead of a bunch of picky bastards

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    To my knowledge, the NRA has never came out and apologized for screwing us. They make right what they screwed up in the first place, or at least admit "hey we screwed up", then maybe I can come close to calling them a good cause instead of a bunch of picky bastards

I'm kinda practical minded. I don't need an apology or an admission of past guilt. I just need them to do what I'm paying them to do, today.

And if they asked for money to help prepare the way to repeal NFA, and demonstrated some real intention to follow through, I'd probably send them a check for that. To get them to do what we want we need to continue rewarding them for the good they do and punish them for the good they don't do. What they're doing now is worth the annual membership dues. But if they want more they need to show me that they're going to earn it by doing more.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Libertarian?

mikeruth

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I renew yearly and donate more if they are doing a good job. I also donate to SAF, NAGR, and CCRKBA if they are doing a good job.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Didn't say it was. Just pointing out the fact it's only $2.10 a week, and anyone that hard up really has a problem. Or more likely looking for an excuse.

You didn't address the issue I raised with the wildly varying cost of LIFE memberships. Bill of Rights did (thanks, BoR, Cary and I will research this).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom