• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lockton is the insurance carrier. Second Call is the group that takes care of stuff prior to the insurance being allowed to pay. The payee for the insurance is Second Call Defense. A lot of what people are calling insurance is NOT insurance.

There are no additional fees with Second Call Defense that I have ever been charged. Only extra fee with my instructors insurance was a $15 underwriting fee and $5 if I pay with a credit card. But that is all clearly spelled out.

That's the $20 in additional annual fees I'm talking about.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    That's the $20 in additional annual fees I'm talking about.

If $20 makes for a 16% increase then your Armscare is quite a bit less then Instructors Plus liability? :D

I wouldn't call it an extra cost so much as itemizing the bill. Trust me there are always administrative fees for everything we do. Just a matter of whether those are disclosed or bundled into the bill. I assume insurance and banking require full disclosure.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    There are several options. Some are just pools of money and legal advice. Some are backed by an actual insurance policy. Off the top of my head there is also the armed citizens defense network and USCCA.

I have this. If I'm involved in a shooting, and I pray I never am, Guy Relford is my first phone call. It's a $1.1 million policy.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I wouldn't call it an extra cost so much as itemizing the bill. Trust me there are always administrative fees for everything we do. Just a matter of whether those are disclosed or bundled into the bill. I assume insurance and banking require full disclosure.

Costs are costs, we all have them. A charge for a service should be one figure.

...USCCA.
    I have this. If I'm involved in a shooting, and I pray I never am, Guy Relford is my first phone call. It's a $1.1 million policy.

Cost for the plan? Is Guy's bill covered 100%?

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Costs are costs, we all have them. A charge for a service should be one figure.

In this case I don't think it is legal for an insurance company or bank to bundle services. Might be wrong but it is a regulated business. Pretty sure the premium has to be spelled out separately.

The he cost for Second Call Defense is one figure. But in that situation the insured intenty is that group.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I'm going to take a second, and be "that guy" (again). It seems odd to me that the NRA is pushing this. What they should be pushing (and I don't know if they do), is civil immunity for a legitimate self defense occurrence (ie no conviction, no civil suit). So begs the question, "has this come about out of concern for gun owners, or to put more money in the organization?" It's honestly puzzling.

Secondly, let's say you, heaven forbid, are actually in a self-defense shooting. How well do you think it's going to play out if the other side gets wind of you having a NRA "Shoot 'em and we'll pay for it" insurance policy. The spin will undoubtedly be "he wanted to shoot someone so bad, that he got an insurance policy." No bueno.

Addressing the begged question: It's not puzzling, really. The NRA does push for gun owners' interests, and it doesn't run on rainbows and unicorn farts. The NRA needs money to run. If all the gun owners joined, and/or gave enough money, they wouldn't need promotions like jackets and insurance and all that. But they've found (like every other big nonprofit) that people will part with money more readily if they get something for it. Period. You want to support the 2A, vote and give money. That simple.

Second point/question: This sounds a lot like the "killer ammo" question, i.e. "He must have wanted to kill someone cuz he used hollow points!" Yeah, maybe could happen, but way down the list of things to worry about.

The thing to worry about is whether your insurance does what you really want it to do.

BTW, the NRA did indeed lobby for the immunity from civil suit provision in Texas law. Successfully.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Cost for the plan? Is Guy's bill covered 100%?[/QUOTE]

I've been a member of USCCA since its inception, well almost, and my rate will be different then yours (loyalty has it perks). You, as well as others, should go to the company to have their questions answered. That's just common sense. That is not to be rude, just the way it should be.

Top Bottom