Not Negligent Discharge...... just an accident that happens sometimes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I bet the guy needs a new pair of pants... Just Sayin...

*** Glad to know everyone is OK ***

Well at the very least new under britches. I would have ****ed myself. SWAT conference so he was probably wearing 5.11 pants. Those aren't cheap.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've always been taught that there's no such thing as an 'accidental' discharge, but then again I can understand the department wanting to put as good a spin on it as they can for the media. The officer's fortunate nothing worse happened. It just goes to show how necessary constant training is.

NOOOOOOO!!!

That's the kind of talk that summons the 870 Shootrite story!

EDIT:

Too late...
    A hush fall over the crowd as we all wonder aloud when Kirk will ask if the poster has heard about his 870 in Alabama . . .

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's what people who've gone down....and people who fire off rounds by mistake tell themselves to make themselves feel better.

Neither are inevitable, but in the case of bikes, it's up to more than one person, so it may be closer to accurate.

If you resign yourself that "it's just going to happen no matter what", I'm sure it will.

Out of rep for you so I have to do it publicly. ;)

These things don't have to happen.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Hmmm, coat I can see...but pants? Was it Ptl. M. C. Hammer?

If it was Hammer, maybe he can now sing another tune:

My my Glock hits me so hard
    Makes me say 'oh my lord'
    Thank you for just grazing me
    So that I've still got two good feet

Stop! External hammer time

External hammer time, oh, oh, oh-oh, oh
    so I don't shoot my own leg and yell oh, oh, oh-oh, oh.

**Drops mic, walks off stage**
    :rofl:Damn I miss the early 90's! (Not really!)

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Never had a ND in just shy of 4 decades carrying a gun.

I have several Serpa CQC holsters utilized regularly. It is NOT 'the holster', it's the failure to train, by the person AND/OR their Trainer / Instructor, period.

And just think how many gun-toters we have out there that just go buy a handgun and holster, get their LTCH (CCW, whatever), carry it in public and don't train & 'qualify' on a regular basis because, "I have the right, dammit!"?

:n00b:

Last edited:

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I'm sure it's been stated a dozen or more times by now, but the only non-negligent discharge is a round headed down range at it's intended target. I'm calling BS in regards to "on his pants or coat." This is actually a common mistake made when Greenies are drawing their sidearm in a firefight or stressed tactical drill. The shooter in excitement allows the trigger finger to enter the the trigger well before the sidearm has been removed from the holster.

I remember practicing combat draw on my sidearm for hours on end, draw straight up, point trigger finger at target while leveling off for a hip fire, dry fire, and bring it up to your standard stance. It takes lots of practice and repetition.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    INGO noob, standing by to be schooled, Grandmaster.

No kidding, there I was in the wilds of Langston, Alabama, all alone, except for everyone else in the class and the instructors, doing one handed reloading drills behind cover.

My weapon, the Remington 870 re-worked by Scattergun Technologies (yes, I am old, so what) the "FBI Model". Safety on, I load one round of Remington #00 into the weapon and close the action, without the trigger being touched (one hand on forearm, one hand behind back), the weapon discharges.

I had the round to Clint Smith. He runs his finger over the primer and then shrugs his shoulders. No idea what caused it. I switch guns to another ST 870 but that gun checks out OK, I even take it to the gunsmith to ensure that I did not miss anything. The gun is fine.

Point being: slam fires happen. We need to be aware of this fact so we can take countermeasures.

mulksman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    North of the Fort
    Good call! I looked through General Firearm discussion and didn't see anything. Assumed that's where it would land!

Sorry brother..... I started the thread under "carry issues/self defense" because I felt the officer's life was in danger due to almost being shot by one of them there self thinking/self shooting weapons that lurk out there! The press will try and cover the truth with stories of triggers snagging on shirts, pants, or even both...... but them there modern firearms have a mind of their own and can fire spontaneously. Luckily, the truth has now been exposed.

Last edited:

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    No kidding, there I was in the wilds of Langston, Alabama, all alone, except for everyone else in the class and the instructors, doing one handed reloading drills behind cover.

My weapon, the Remington 870 re-worked by Scattergun Technologies (yes, I am old, so what) the "FBI Model". Safety on, I load one round of Remington #00 into the weapon and close the action, without the trigger being touched (one hand on forearm, one hand behind back), the weapon discharges.

I had the round to Clint Smith. He runs his finger over the primer and then shrugs his shoulders. No idea what caused it. I switch guns to another ST 870 but that gun checks out OK, I even take it to the gunsmith to ensure that I did not miss anything. The gun is fine.

Point being: slam fires happen. We need to be aware of this fact so we can take countermeasures.

Call me silly, but who holsters a pistol with the slide locked to the rear? Is that some secret squirrel BS ppl do these days?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'll just say this...I was at a training session last year standing right next to a well known INGO-er had when he had an AD after completing a stage. He was putting the pistol back in the holster and as I remember it, it snagged on his outer garment and fired straight into the ground through his holster right next to his leg. There was a nice neat set of two holes in his pants where it passed through a pleat that was just under the holster. The rocks kicked up by the blast bounced off my legs.

I'm all on board with there is no such thing as an accident in 99.9% of the cases we here about. But there are cases where negligent is not the right word, and circumstances that were unforeseen and nearly entirely out of the control of the person handling the firearm resulted in the discharge.

Top Bottom