• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    The wife and I meandered in to the local Bass Pro, and browsed the handgun case. She noticed a hammerless snub nose 38 S&W and asked to see it. While she was looking at it, I asked the salesman if it was all metal, or metal and plastic, as some are. He said all quality guns are metal and plastic. :xmad: "Excuse me?" Yea, he says. All the good guns are made that way.
    Then I pointed out (to my wife) it was a wheel gun. "Remember" I said, "When the boys and I were shooting last weekend, everyone of their guns jammed but mine." He pipes in "What kind of guns are they?" I said a S&W, Walther, AR and a Sig. "Oh" he said. "You weren't shooting quality guns." :nuts: I said I was shooting a redhawk and had no troubles at all. Again he said that was not a quality gun. And you can't run with it. I told him I don't need to run, I'm the one carrying the .44 magnum :ar15:
    Yea, we left.

All "quality" guns are metal and plastic? I happen to be the no-so-proud owner of this gem, a Davis Industries P380. It's all metal except for the plastic grips, but it's anything but quality.

I do keep it around for fun though. This is one of the guns that defines the term
    Saturday Night Special

Davis_P380.JPG

ductape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    My, some people are touchy. Yes it was the Clarksville store. Yes they all jammed when mine didn't.
    One I think was a bad clip, one crappy ammo, one bad luck and the sig just wasn't broke in yet, or so the factory told him.
    As for plastic and metal, I was wondering about the weight of the gun. It was very light. He said it was stainless. I believe it is aluminum.
    I only go to that store to let my grandchildren see the animals and fish. I can't say I ever bought anything there. As for the chest thumpin' HECK YEA!!
    My 44 killed their targets!! It was great!! And in my opinion, a good gun is one you like.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    While I cannot deny the reliability of a Glock or other Poly based frame firearms, I personally do not want one or like one. Having worked as a Engineer for 40 years before retirement in an industry that molded many products - automotive, appliance etc. These parts were injection molded (also did some transfer molding), from almost every type of thermoplastic in existence - both reinforced (glass and / or mineral) and none reinforced.

However in testing plastics I have never found one that is impervious to all the solvents found in common use, or UV radiation. In every case deterioration causes the material to become brittle, lose strength, crack and or discolor in time. The current polymer based guns have been in use for about 27 years so I don't expect any issues for another few years.

I would expect they use a carbon filler to inhibit the UV penetration. I would also expect the base material is a Nylon like Nylon 6. This was used for many common items (pocket combs etc) and is pretty stable but does adsorb water and will deteriorate somewhat in very hot water.

Maybe I am being somewhat paranoid - but I KNOW my Steel and wood guns will be around and useable for a couple of hundred years or more. I own and shoot some about 100 years old!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 2 poly frame guns. H&K USP and a Taurus 24/7 tactical. Both in .45 ACP. The Taurus is OK for the duty it see's (banging around in my service truck) and has survived a torture test so I trust it. The H&K is well made and runs like an H&K is expected to run. My son in law has latched onto it and I only see it when we go to the range. They both have crappy triggers.
    Steel (or alloy) is real.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All "quality" guns are metal and plastic? I happen to be the no-so-proud owner of this gem, a Davis Industries P380. It's all metal except for the plastic grips, but it's anything but quality.

I do keep it around for fun though. This is one of the guns that defines the term

Davis_P380.JPG

Is that made by our old buddy Al "I don't want to make any money folks" Davis...:D

Top Bottom