• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    .38 Special and .38 Special +P are the same case length, different operating pressures. Both are completely safe in a .357 magnum revolver. Well...at least in a quality .357 revolver.

Send your gun back to Taurus. Something is wrong with it. In my experience, your first clue that something may be amiss with your revolver should have been the word "Taurus" on the box that it came in. :):

Taurus makes as nice a gun today as Ruger. You must be living in the past like the 90's. :D

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Let's see. The barrel stamp on my Ruger says "Made in USA"

The barrel stamp on a Taurus says "Made in Brazil" That not Brazil, IN is it?

Flame on!:):

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Taurus makes as nice a gun today as Ruger. You must be living in the past like the 90's. :D

i see the green smiley... does that mean you werent trying to start an argument, or you comment was meant in jest?

i personally disagree, i think ruger makes a significantly better revovler based on overal fit and finish, and feel of the gun....

function wise tuarus will function, but they feel "mushy" to me.... the older taurus's and rossis like we discussed though are definatly top quality compared to the new smiths.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy

I disagree, I was new to shooting 6 years ago. Got my first handgun which was a bulgy makarov. Went bang everytime but it was old and a small sight. decided I wanted a new gun so I bought a Taurus PT92. I had jamming issues from day 1 that even the shooting instructor at pops could re-create. Thank goodness Bradis took it back.

Fast forward to earlier this year, I bought a Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm for my wife. Broke it down and it was finished poorly. It shot poorly. Sold it.

I have learned my lesson. While all companies have issues, I never clean my glock and it goes bang. My dads SW revolver functions flawless.

I am sticking with the better brands and not dealing with the mid priced companies. It isn't worth the frustration of thinking i have a inferior product that won't work when I need it.

Just my opinion.. I would see if you could take it back and upgrade. 2 home invasions on the west side of Indy yesterday. Would you feelconfident reaching for your taurus ?

Isn't that what it alls boils down to?

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    One thing you could also check is the rim thickness of your ammo. I ran into that with my 357 mag, a taurus 608. Bought it used, was shooting it with a couple different kinds of fiocchi 357 ammo. Had absolutely no probs with the heavier weight bullet loads, but for some reason the lighter bullet loads I had a couple jam up on me like that. When it would happen I found the offending cartridge and the rim was a bit thicker than the others, which really surprised me. I think its gonna be a rarity and not gonna happen often but it does happen. I had 2 or 3 rounds out of that box of ammo that did this. Everything else I've ran through it has been great and absolutely no probs.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Does NOT match my experience

beat me to it.

did you buy it new? usually taurus revolvers are pretty good. if you can take it back, do it. if you really like the gun it might be worth having it fixed locally rather than deal with Taurus's CS.

I had absoultely NO problem with Taurus customer service. They were a pleasure to deal with. If the OP feels the need to send it back, I would expect a pleasant experience although his reading of the manual seems to uncovered the problem.

Terry

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I disagree,

I am sticking with the better brands and not dealing with the mid priced companies. It isn't worth the frustration of thinking i have a inferior product that won't work when I need it.

Just my opinion.. I would see if you could take it back and upgrade. 2 home invasions on the west side of Indy yesterday. Would you feelconfident reaching for your taurus ?

Isn't that what it alls boils down to?

I own S&W, Ruger, Browning, Kahr Arms, Beretta, Steyr, Walthers, Rossi, Taurus, Henry, Rock River Arms, Springfield and several military rifles and pistols. I could praise every one and also find issues with them too. Is a $2,000 firearms better than a $500 one, probably yes but that does not make the $500 gun "junk". Take care of your gun and it will take care of you. I wouldn't brag that I don't clean my gun, even a Glock. Notice Glock is not on my list. :D

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    I ain't lookin to get a new gun. I was just wanting some ideas why it was doing that. Than I seen in the manual for that gun it doesn't reccommend using +p ammo. Cause it can cause it not revolve. Because the shell can slide back. I love the way the gun shoots and how comfortable it is.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I have lost track of how many Colt/S&W/DW 357's I have owned over the years and the vast majority of them saw 38+P level loads in them with in more 38 Spec cases than 357 cases. I couldn't even begin to guess the number of rounds. None of them ever had that problem. You have given me another in a long line of reasons not to go near that brand. And I am quite serious that I believe the best thing you could do to help yourself is move it down the road.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    i see the green smiley... does that mean you werent trying to start an argument, or you comment was meant in jest?

i personally disagree, i think ruger makes a significantly better revovler based on overal fit and finish, and feel of the gun....

function wise tuarus will function, but they feel "mushy" to me.... the older taurus's and rossis like we discussed though are definatly top quality compared to the new smiths.

Ten years ago I would not own a Taurus but owned several Rossi that I would put up to any revolver as far as quaility. Today Rossi's look cheap and Taurus is a decent gun. Read the history of Taurus, S&W and Beretta and it might open your eyes. I have owned older Rugers and they are great quality firearms, the newer ones are in my opinion average in quality. Same with the new S&W firearms. You can't compare a five hundred dollar gun with a two thousand dollar one; most people can't afford the high end firearms so they go with what they can afford. Taken care of they will get the job done too. Most people rather use their money to take care of their families than spend money they can't afford to spend buying high priced firearms. We all don't drive Lexus's either but still get from A to B. :twocents:

Last edited:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I had the same problem with a ruger, yes a ruger, I was shooting some 45 schoefielda(sp) rounds out of a Vaquero 45 colt and the casings would back out of the cylinder after firing and make it hard to cock the hammer. Try using a diff manufacture of ammo.

Of all the guns I have owned my taurus 38 has never not fired when I pulled the trigger.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Ten years ago I would not own a Taurus but owned several Rossi that I would put up to any revolver as far as quaility. Today Rossi's look cheap and Taurus is a decent gun. Read the history of Taurus, S&W and Beretta and it might open your eyes. I have owned older Rugers and they are great quality firearms, the newer ones are in my opinion average in quality. Same with the new S&W firearms. You can't compare a five hundred dollar gun with a two thousand dollar one; most people can't afford the high end firearms so they go with what they can afford. Taken care of they will get the job done too. Most people rather use their money to take care of their families than spend money they can't afford to spend buying high priced firearms. We all don't drive Lexus's either but still get from A to B. :twocents:

You're the only one that keeps bringing up two thousand dollar guns. Why? everyone else is comparing S&W, Ruger, and Taurus.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    You're the only one that keeps bringing up two thousand dollar guns. Why? everyone else is comparing S&W, Ruger, and Taurus.

OK compare them. “In my opinion” they are equal when you compare similar models in the same price range. Until you go up in value with guns like Springfield Armory, Colt and Kimber there is not a noticable difference “in my opinion.” I see a lot of different guns pass thru my hands and talk to a lot of gun owners and with most their opinon is Taurus is a decent gun. It all comes down to personal preferences. There is no right or wrong and it is not worth arguing about.

clydesdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    i have/had several tauruses and the 92 i had was better than the baretta ie more accurate,more reliable i have a taurus tracker44 i would not trade for any revolver except 460xlr.have shot it next to smiths,and rugers44 mines better,never a hiccup, also have 24/7 and yes they are my goto guns when shtf never scared

JUMBO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a 605, never had any problems with it, come to think i guess i have been lucky cus i never had any probs with any taurus guns i have.

Top Bottom