• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Are HAM radios or other bands pretty popular up there?
    Yes. I'm a Tech and can hear the repeater out of Soldotna. I mostly monitor because the talknets are older folks talking about what they had for supper, or their latest doctor visit. I call it the "mashed potato net".

I designed the 12 volt electrical system on my Renergy Solar to be able to easily hook up a base station.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Yes. I'm a Tech and can hear the repeater out of Soldotna. I mostly monitor because the talknets are older folks talking about what they had for supper, or their latest doctor visit. I call it the "mashed potato net".

I designed the 12 volt electrical system on my Renergy Solar to be able to easily hook up a base station.
    Haha, so no different than a net in the lower 48?

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Made it to my BIL & SIL's house in Sterling, AK. They have a little guest cabin that I will stay in tonight.
    20240527_141643.jpg

Here is the boat that we crossed in. It has a Honda 135 hp motor.
    20240527_120730.jpg

Last view of the cabin with everything buttoned down. In a few weeks, we have family coming to stay in it. Yes, I have my own cold war era JATO bottle. 20240527_104255.jpg

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Here are some other cabins on the island.

This one is owned by the friend with whom I came up the ALCAN last week.
    20240527_082924.jpg

20240527_082245.jpg

The flooring in this one came out of an old dance hall in Fairbanks.
    20240527_083138.jpg

This is one of the first log cabins built on the island in the 70's. I stayed in the red roofed guest cottage (right) in 2017 while I was framing my cabin.
    20240527_083306.jpg

This one looks good from the shore but has foundation and electrical issues.
    20240527_083422.jpg

This one is at the bottom of the hill near mine.
    20240527_083716.jpg
    It has sat unmaintained for over twenty years. Someone still pays the property tax, so it just sits, wasting away.
    20240527_083736.jpg

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Do any folks stay year round?
    One guy used to. He hit 65 and decided that Florida was a lot easier to handle in the winter.

In the 70's, there was a couple that lived out there year round. She wrote two books about it. I've talked to a few people who knew them.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    20240528_175109.jpg
    Just flew in a Cessna 208 from Kenai to Anchorage. Only took 30 minutes. That would be a four hour trip by car.
    20240528_175157.jpg
    While we were boarding, there was a C-17 in the pattern flying transitions, (a Touch & Go that comes come close, but does not touch the runway).
    20240528_175056.jpg
    This classic, along with a C-46 were sitting on the ramp.

Earlier today, I went to this wonderful store in Soldotna.
    20240528_092248.jpg
    Didn't buy anything, but was nice to see everything that they carry.

So now I'm sitting in the Anchorage airport eating a $20 salad. It's 7:30pm and I cannot check my bags until 01:30am. My flight departs at 05:30am. I've slept in this airport many times over the years.

I'm scheduled to arrive in Seattle at 10am local. I plan on taking a taxi to the Seattle Museum of Flight and touring it. Later on, I will grab some dinner and then head back to the airport for my 9pm flight to Indy. If everything goes well, I will arrive dog tired at 5am on Thursday morning.

Ok, so you are probably wondering, what the h*ll is wrong with you? Why did you book this insane schedule? The answer is I am an Alaska Airlines milage member. This trip home used only airline miles. And I get to visit a cool museum.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    P
    View attachment 355710
    Just flew in a Cessna 208 from Kenai to Anchorage. Only took 30 minutes. That would be a four hour trip by car.
    View attachment 355711
    While we were boarding, there was a C-17 in the pattern flying transitions, (a Touch & Go that comes come close, but does not touch the runway).
    View attachment 355712
    This classic, along with a C-46 were sitting on the ramp.

Earlier today, I went to this wonderful store in Soldotna.
    View attachment 355713
    Didn't buy anything, but was nice to see everything that they carry.

So now I'm sitting in the Anchorage airport eating a $20 salad. It's 7:30pm and I cannot check my bags until 01:30am. My flight departs at 05:30am. I've slept in this airport many times over the years.

I'm scheduled to arrive in Seattle at 10am local. I plan on taking a taxi to the Seattle Museum of Flight and touring it. Later on, I will grab some dinner and then head back to the airport for my 9pm flight to Indy. If everything goes well, I will arrive dog tired at 5am on Thursday morning.

Ok, so you are probably wondering, what the h*ll is wrong with you? Why did you book this insane schedule? The answer is I am an Alaska Airlines milage member. This trip home used only airline miles. And I get to visit a cool museum.
    Does this airport still have a huge taxidermed polar bear there? Closest I ever got was a layover from Korea there. Had a reindeer sausage dog. It was absolutely stunning flying in ans seeing it from above

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    P

Does this airport still have a huge taxidermed polar bear there? Closest I ever got was a layover from Korea there. Had a reindeer sausage dog. It was absolutely stunning flying in ans seeing it from above
    Yep. They have still both polar and grizzly bears in large plexiglass cases. First time I saw them was in 1980 during a fuel stop on the way to Okinawa.

They also have a Turbo-Beaver in the main concourse.
    20240529_015515.jpg

At 2am, both Starbucks and McDonalds are open in the main terminal. Only three more hours until my flight leaves. Sunrise will happen at 4:42am. I have a window seat and hope to get some good views.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Yep. They have still both polar and grizzly bears in large plexiglass cases. First time I saw them was in 1980 during a fuel stop on the way to Okinawa.

They also have a Turbo-Beaver in the main concourse.
    View attachment 355729

At 2am, both Starbucks and McDonalds are open in the main terminal. Only three more hours until my flight leaves. Sunrise will happen at 4:42am. I have a window seat and hope to get some good views.
    Thanks for all the post and safe flight back

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I got very little sleep on the flight down from Anchorage due to screaming kids behind my seat. Decided to check out the USO in the Seattle airport and this place is awesome. Free food, place to chill in a recliner and awesome volunteers. They also have a bunk room and free shower. 20240529_145421.jpg
    Took a three hour nap and feel great. Some of the flooring in here is teak recovered from the Battleship U.S.S. Colorado (BB 45). In contrast to the rest of the airport, the USO has a very industrial feel to it. I feel right at home because it reminds me of a hangar or barracks dayroom.
    20240529_145431.jpg
    Decided to skip the Museum of Flight. It was $26 entrance fee and a trip across town either by public transit or expensive taxi.

Last edited:

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    20240530_053156.jpg
    Arrived in Indy at 5am. This years adventure is over. It is nice to be be home. Already thinking about Steel Challenge this Saturday at Warsaw Rifle & Pistol club.

I'm already planning next years trip up the ALCAN in May 2025. That one will be from Indiana to Alaska and back. Probably be 8-10 weeks long. I will start a seperate thread discussing the prep for that trip. Cheers...

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Welcome back to civilization..
    Driving alone or with family on next years trip?
    Drive up with my wife's brother. Then my wife, daughter and his wife would fly up to Alaska.

After some time up there, he and his wife, along with my wife would fly home. Then my daughter and I would make the drive back down the ALCAN.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Drive up with my wife's brother. Then my wife, daughter and his wife would fly up to Alaska.

After some time up there, he and his wife, along with my wife would fly home. Then my daughter and I would make the drive back down the ALCAN.
    Better take a porta potty with you. Daughter will be needing it ever hour or so. My best time driving from here in knox to largo Florida was 16 to 16.5 hours. Took gf and her daughter one year and seemed like i stopped at every possible place with bathroom. Took me 21 hours that trip...i was beat and i always drove straight thru by myself.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Better take a porta potty with you. Daughter will be needing it ever hour or so. My best time driving from here in knox to largo Florida was 16 to 16.5 hours. Took gf and her daughter one year and seemed like i stopped at every possible place with bathroom. Took me 21 hours that trip...i was beat and i always drove straight thru by myself.
    leisurewize-pop-up-toilet-shower-tent-36212-p.jpg
    I will take one of these along. Both my daughters have been to Alaska many times and are great travelers. She is also close to 30 and is very low drama/low maintenance.

My wife and older daughter are flying up to Alaska in August for two weeks. My wife's sister is so excited. The three of them are going to run around everywhere from Homer to Anchorage, Alaska. My SIL lives in Sterling, which is in the middle of the penninsula.

Top Bottom