• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As a vet, that Denali Park article makes my blood boil. They wouldn't have a 'park experience' if it wasn't for the patriots that enable her freedoms. Wish I was there so i could ride in there with my flag especially this weekend.
    The whole crew should've walked off the job or maybe even undone what work they'd already done. "You want this bridge built? You build it, you commie b****!" :xmad:

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Spent all day yesterday installing shiplap on our bedroom walls. Will post pictures when it is done.

Also took a few minutes to do laundry. I use a simple washtub and "Breathing Washer".
    20240525_115944.jpg
    20240525_120008.jpg
    Used 15 gallons of rainwater for the wash and rinse cycles.
    20240525_122730.jpg
    The drying cycle takes a few hours if the sun is out. We also have a clothsline upstairs for rainy days.
    20240525_124511.jpg

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Oh man... I can see holding off on hunting, but I think if I was on a lake in AK I'd have to at least wet a line. :):
    The fishing regulations up here are more complicated than filling out an IRS 1040 Long Form in Sanskit. The fines up here are also pretty steep. I figure I will head down to Homer and go halibut fishing through a charter. Let them deal with the Fish & Game Karens.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The fishing regulations up here are more complicated than filling out an IRS 1040 Long Form in Sanskit. The fines up here are also pretty steep. I figure I will head down to Homer and go halibut fishing through a charter. Let them deal with the Fish & Game Karens.
    I wondered if that was the case.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Ugh

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    What would the winters be like at your location? What time is is dark there now?
    I've been up here in the winter a couple of times. Lows were around 20 below zero. Highs in the zero to 5 above range. Sun came up at 9am, but never got above the treeline. Was dark by 4pm. Snow depth was always 1-2 feet on the ground.

This time of year, sunrise is at 5am. Sundown at 11pm. It never really gets dark right now. The sun is lurking just below the horizon. At 2am, it is light enough to walk around outside and see everything.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The whole crew should've walked off the job or maybe even undone what work they'd already done. "You want this bridge built? You build it, you commie b****!" :xmad:

Problem is.. getting everyone to walk off.

Fortunately, where I worked had a flag at the main office, the medical building, and each of the blast furnaces.
    I guess management had other things to argue about.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Then.. there's idiots like this one..

Oh. And I may not have "stormed the beaches", but I did put in 6 years on the 'defending team'.
    And I'm named after a relative that was KIA in the Pacific.

Though.. that really doesn't matter does it.
    You don't need to be military, ex military, or whatever to fly the flag.
    It's kinda one of those things ANYONE can do.

So.. just F all the way off.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    20200612_095219.jpg
    Took this picture from my deck a few years ago. It is normal to have 3-4 moose on the island. This is the first year I have not seen any.

We do get the occasional black bear once every 10 years or so. They usually swim over from the mainland, snoop around for a few days, then swim back.

This weekend, my BIL is replacing a bunch of boards on his deck. Up here, people use 2x6's for deck boards. In fact, they don't normally sell treated 5/4 deck boards up here. The snow loads and weather is hard on decks.

20240525_130639.jpg
    The tip of my seven year old tape measure broke off today. Had to break out the plumbers rule to finish todays project. Always good to have a back-up.

Tool wise, I used Ryobi rechargable tools to build the cabin. People scoff at the durability of Ryobi tools, but for me, they did the job. In fact, a large majority of the folks out here use them. My BIL has a Ryobi electric log splitter that works great.

I do have a corded circular saw, heavy duty drill, router, and heat gun that I run off the generator.

Checked earlier today and did not see a radio station listed on the Indy Racing Network for Alaska. Going to get up at 6am and poke around on the radio, to see if I can listen to the race.

As I am typing this, it is 1am here. I have one bar on my phone. As soon as morning arrives, that will drop off due to everyone using their phone. Even sending these posts at night takes 1-2 minutes to upload.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    View attachment 355003
    Took this picture from my deck a few years ago. It is normal to have 3-4 moose on the island. This is the first year I have not seen any.

We do get the occasional black bear once every 10 years or so. They usually swim over from the mainland, snoop around for a few days, then swim back.

This weekend, my BIL is replacing a bunch of boards on his deck. Up here, people use 2x6's for deck boards. In fact, they don't normally sell treated 5/4 deck boards up here. The snow loads and weather is hard on decks.

View attachment 355005
    The tip of my seven year old tape measure broke off today. Had to break out the plumbers rule to finish todays project. Always good to have a back-up.

Tool wise, I used Ryobi rechargable tools to build the cabin. People scoff at the durability of Ryobi tools, but for me, they did the job. In fact, a large majority of the folks out here use them. My BIL has a Ryobi electric log splitter that works great.

I do have a corded circular saw, heavy duty drill, router, and heat gun that I run off the generator.

Checked earlier today and did not see a radio station listed on the Indy Racing Network for Alaska. Going to get up at 6am and poke around on the radio, to see if I can listen to the race.

As I am typing this, it is 1am here. I have one bar on my phone. As soon as morning arrives, that will drop off due to everyone using their phone. Even sending these posts at night takes 1-2 minutes to upload.
    Don't they sell the synthetic boards in Alaska. Those would outlast everything.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Don't they sell the synthetic boards in Alaska. Those would outlast everything.
    Yes, they sell trex and it is mostly used in town. The joists have to be 12" on center to build with it. It is also a lot more expensive. Out in the sticks, less materials and cheap is the way to go.

As far as outlasting everything, I'm not sure? BIL has a trex deck in town. The bazillion hours of summer sun has already faded it in the past couple of years. Summer UV and winter snow loads and freeze/thaw movement is tough on structures.

Top Bottom