nonimmigrant alien, carry license (first post)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Subscribed. Curious to see how this turns out for the OP.

Welcome to INGO (and America) too! See, we're not all a bunch of gun toting, hill-billy rednecks, old wild-west shootout type of people like some of the rest of the world may think about us! We can be helpful and kind, too. :P

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks again for all the support everyone. The next update will probably be a month away because I'm about to renew my visa in the next month or so, so I think I'll wait until that's done before I apply. I don't know if it would have any affect on the process, but I think it makes more sense to wait.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Well I just got my visa renewed I am finally ready to do this. I am wondering if I should get help from a lawyer as someone suggested before. I am a little reluctant to go ahead and put my non-INS admission number into the INS field in case that could somehow count as "false" information. But I do have an email from a named member of the ISP telling me to do exactly that. What would it involve if I got a lawyer to help? Would they fill out the form?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Well I just got my visa renewed I am finally ready to do this. I am wondering if I should get help from a lawyer as someone suggested before. I am a little reluctant to go ahead and put my non-INS admission number into the INS field in case that could somehow count as "false" information. But I do have an email from a named member of the ISP telling me to do exactly that. What would it involve if I got a lawyer to help? Would they fill out the form?

Personally, I would go ahead and fill it out. Keep a copy of EVERYTHING you do and any paperwork you sign/pay for. THEN if it does not get processed or is rejected or denied you contact a lawyer who can use the evidence you provide for your side to your advantage.

FYI the lawyer I used for this (I have been denied a LTCH before) is Guy Relford and he has a VERY good reputation in Indianapolis as well as with the gun community as a whole. Kirk Freeman also mentioned he has experience on this very subject and would be a valuable resource if needed.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Looks like the INS number thing is a non-issue from now on. They have a completely new form now that has a field specifically for the I-94 number so I can fill everything out myself without fear of getting into trouble.

I noticed the new form requires information about your employer though...that's kind of weird imo. Anyone know what they want that for? I don't have any reason not provide that info, but I hope they don't go contacting people's employers.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Looks like the INS number thing is a non-issue from now on. They have a completely new form now that has a field specifically for the I-94 number so I can fill everything out myself without fear of getting into trouble.

I noticed the new form requires information about your employer though...that's kind of weird imo. Anyone know what they want that for? I don't have any reason not provide that info, but I hope they don't go contacting people's employers.

You can get a Non-Resident LTCH if you have a job in Indiana

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    It was just approved this afternoon :)

I sent an email a few days ago inquiring about the status and today they replied to confirm that they have approved it and said it will be sent out on Monday...they even gave me the license number.

As I mentioned the new online form takes account of the fact that not everyone has an INS number, and provides a field for an I-94 number instead. Since I was advised by the ISP to send my 18 USC 922(y) (2) documentation after making the application, I did that by emailing it to the main isp email address, and to the officer who replied to my original question. That seems to have done the trick - I didn't hear from them until it was approved.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    It was worth the fist fight I had with ISP over (y) then. They tried to pretend that (y) did not exist a few years ago.

Glad everything went well for you.

Thanks, sounds like I owe you a debt of gratitude for that! I'm glad I didn't have to be the guy to educate them :) It's bad enough to have to teach FFLs about this stuff every time I buy a gun...

Congratulations!

Thank you for keeping us updated. Hopefully this thread can help some others going through the same process.

Thanks!

Top Bottom