• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I have the opportunity to take a local CFP class that offers the Utah, Arizona, and Florida permits. My question is which of the three offered is essentially the "best". Or would it be wise to spend the extra and get all three that are offered.
    I am leaning towards the Utah permit, does anyone have any experience with the class and what I should expect when I take it?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks, I think I am going to sign up. I travel to Washington State and Oregon. When I did some research some time ago I thought I was best covered by getting Utah and Arizona. Florida would just be icing on the cake

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I have the opportunity to take a local CFP class that offers the Utah, Arizona, and Florida permits. My question is which of the three offered is essentially the "best". Or would it be wise to spend the extra and get all three that are offered.
    I am leaning towards the Utah permit, does anyone have any experience with the class and what I should expect when I take it?
    My:twocents: is to get the Utah and Arizona. That will get you most states and will cover all of the ones offered by the Florida license. Try the Create a Map link to see what works best for you. I took the Utah class about a year ago. it was about 4 hours of classroom with some video scenarios and discussion.

Ridgeman4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Middletown
    I took the Utah class last fall in Richmond for my travels to Ohio. It was well worth the time and money. I have been looking at the other two, but just havent committed yet. So, in summary I would deffinately suggest at least the Utah.

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    It really depends on what states you visit or plan to visit. There's a lot of overlap between the licenses you mentioned, but Florida and Utah at least have states unique to them. Nothing stopping you from getting both or all three. Florida accepts an NRA class and adds a live fire requirement.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Interesting... the class says that it runs from 10:00AM-1:00PM. Utah requires 4 hours of classroom time. How do they get it done in 3?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I had some real concerns about the class and didn't end up attending. He wanted 160 for both Az and Utah on the website vs 80 for one license on the website. He had a flier at Cabellas that stated it was 120 for both licenses. I didn't see how you could get through what was necessary for 3 separate licenses in 3 hours.

Id like to hear from someone who went to one of that guys classes

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I have a Virginia Non-Resident. I can carry in Ohio and other states. Not quite as many as Utah, Arizona, or Florida, but didn't have to pay for a specific class. Just needed to have proof of a gun safety class.

Just another option to confuse you, but you might want to consider.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I had some real concerns about the class and didn't end up attending. He wanted 160 for both Az and Utah on the website vs 80 for one license on the website. He had a flier at Cabellas that stated it was 120 for both licenses. I didn't see how you could get through what was necessary for 3 separate licenses in 3 hours.

Id like to hear from someone who went to one of that guys classes

Well in regards to the separate licenses, Utah is the only one that requires something specific to be taught. The training for Utah would qualify for the other states' permits. I don't know what he's charging for unless he's sending the applications in for you. You could take your proof of training from Utah home with you and send it in with the Arizona and/or Florida applications and be good to go. Utah's fee is $65.25 and AZ's is $60. Florida's is $117, IIRC, so I don't know where all the money goes you pay him, and I know he's not paying for Florida's for you.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Well in regards to the separate licenses, Utah is the only one that requires something specific to be taught. The training for Utah would qualify for the other states' permits. I don't know what he's charging for unless he's sending the applications in for you. You could take your proof of training from Utah home with you and send it in with the Arizona and/or Florida applications and be good to go. Utah's fee is $65.25 and AZ's is $60. Florida's is $117, IIRC, so I don't know where all the money goes you pay him, and I know he's not paying for Florida's for you.

It was my understanding that you were just paying for the class and the prep for applying for the licenses. You had to apply for the licenses on your own at your own expense

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    I am a Utah instructor, Utah permit is 51.00 for five years Arizona is 60.00 for five years FL is a 100.00 plus for seven years.Get the Arizona, have them print out a training certificate stating that you have taken the Utah course and that meets the training requirements. I had some students wanting the Arizona permit. I called them to see what I had to do and that's what they told me and my students now have theirs I now keep them with me. It just has to have their NRA instructors number on it. I am giving a class this Saturday in Williamsport IN PM me if you are interested. The money you pay the instructor is for the class you must pay the fees to the state. I charge 60.00 per student for a class. The class size must be at least 10 people. I don't do the photo or fingerprints. The pics are like 8.00 at walgreens or CVS and your local LEO does fingerprints for free. I have found cost of the class to be a big factor of people taking the class so I keep my price low. I am not a wealthy person and do realize the economy sucks right now. This is a hobby plus I get to meet like minded people.

Last edited:

LRHostetler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Freedom Firearms (Utah)

Freedom Firearms(once H&H), offers the Utah class. It's all stuff you already know. They just want your coin. But you can carry in OH:dunno:

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Keep in mind that a AZ non-res in NOT VALID in OH.....

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Top Bottom