• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just curious, but for those that re-load HOW do they calculate that 'cost per round'? Case, primer, powder, bullet = $ / round?

To calculate cost per round accurately, one must also figure in the reloader(s), dies, scales, measures, books, holders, brass buckets, cleaner / polisher, cost of building a bench / workspace (large or small), locks for securing the reloading equipment (room, cabinet, whatever), perhaps additional cleaning equipment, and so forth. ALL that (and likely some things I'm forgetting) cost... something, and really should be factored in to that 'cost per round' price.

AND time. That 'hour' they spend reloading, others may spend working. So, for example, two guys each make $20 / hr. One guy spends 4 hours reloading = $80, the non-reloader works those 4 extra hours = $80 (maybe $120, if they're paid time-and-a-half for the overtime.) That 'lost income time' likely should be factored in as well.

They may or may not do so. :dunno: But, for the few guys (seems to be more of a 'guy thing') I've personally known, they don't (didn't) calculate any of the equipment (including the workspace) or time in to their cost per round, just what each finished cartridge cost.

I would hazard a guess that the 'true' cost difference isn't as great as may be perceived.

Well, I guess the same could be said for factory ammo. Do you factor in lost wages when you go shopping for the ammo (if bought locally)? What about gas, oil, insurance and wear and tear on your vehicle used to go ammo shopping? Do you figure in the cost of your gun(s) to shoot the ammo? What about lost wages for time spent at the range? I mean we could carry this out to the nth degree I suppose. For me at least, a minimal investment to start does (I feel at least) save me money. It's not like I have to go out and buy a new press for each batch of ammo I load so equipment cost is amortized over its lifespan. And as others have said, I generally reload in my "free" time - time that I would probably just be watching tv or surfing the web (:ingo:), etc.. But in addition to the cost savings (real or imagined), I enjoy it as just another part of my hobby.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Well, I guess the same could be said for factory ammo. Do you factor in lost wages when you go shopping for the ammo (if bought locally)? What about gas, oil, insurance and wear and tear on your vehicle used to go ammo shopping? Do you figure in the cost of your gun(s) to shoot the ammo? What about lost wages for time spent at the range? I mean we could carry this out to the nth degree I suppose. For me at least, a minimal investment to start does (I feel at least) save me money. It's not like I have to go out and buy a new press for each batch of ammo I load so equipment cost is amortized over its lifespan. And as others have said, I generally reload in my "free" time - time that I would probably just be watching tv or surfing the web (:ingo:), etc.. But in addition to the cost savings (real or imagined), I enjoy it as just another part of my hobby.

Exactly DD!! if ones gonna play this card then it would apply to all. Trust me my initial investment was VERY minimal. Ive made one advancement from the Lee Loader to a single stage press.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    To all of you who do not reload , I want to thank you . Brass is the most expensive component in reloading . You ,who leave your brass laying in the dirt , have paid for my press and all other reloading needs . You have saved me thousands of dollars on ammo , and I can reload more accurate ammo to boot then you can buy at a store. My time is as important as yours ,I work full time and still do all the family things I should , but for relaxing I just go to my reloading room turn on the TV watch the Bears , Cubs ,or History channel and RELOAD . I shoot 2 times a month average ,and love the confidence it gives me.So , thanks again ,just keep the brass coming .

Now I'm gonna save all my brass and all the stuff in the buckets at the range, melt it down into truck nutz and sell them on ebay.*

* who wouldn't want a set of brass balls.....

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    bought it cheap and stacked it deep years ago........ that and I haven't been to the range in a while.

just started reloading 9mm last year, and hope to start doing other types someday.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I save back two paychecks every month and buy a box. Sometimes two if it was a good two weeks.

But seriously, I just don't go shooting as much as I would like too. Maybe once a month if I am lucky I can get enough money saved and ammo bought and time freed up to spend a few hours shooting.

I can't see myself reloading. I could make excuses all day but if I'm completely honest its because I'm lazy and would rather spend the little time I have off eating bacon and drinking beer than reloading.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Just curious, but for those that re-load HOW do they calculate that 'cost per round'? Case, primer, powder, bullet = $ / round?

To calculate cost per round accurately, one must also figure in the reloader(s), dies, scales, measures, books, holders, brass buckets, cleaner / polisher, cost of building a bench / workspace (large or small), locks for securing the reloading equipment (room, cabinet, whatever), perhaps additional cleaning equipment, and so forth. ALL that (and likely some things I'm forgetting) cost... something, and really should be factored in to that 'cost per round' price.

AND time. That 'hour' they spend reloading, others may spend working. So, for example, two guys each make $20 / hr. One guy spends 4 hours reloading = $80, the non-reloader works those 4 extra hours = $80 (maybe $120, if they're paid time-and-a-half for the overtime.) That 'lost income time' likely should be factored in as well.

They may or may not do so. :dunno: But, for the few guys (seems to be more of a 'guy thing') I've personally known, they don't (didn't) calculate any of the equipment (including the workspace) or time in to their cost per round, just what each finished cartridge cost.

I would hazard a guess that the 'true' cost difference isn't as great as may be perceived.

I guess it all depends on your perception of the "Hobby". My son and I collect firearms and are set up to reload very high quality ammunition. We can reload quite fast using his Lock and Load Hornady Progressive Press (equipped with almost all accessories), and have several other presses that work well. Do we have a lot of money invested ~ certainly! Do we figure what our time is worth NOPE, 99% of the people that use this excuse DON"T ever use their time that they would use to reload to make money in lieu of spending the time reloading. Instead they sit in front of the dumb box watching sitcoms.

We have accumulated molds and dies so that we can reload over 35 different calibers. We can cast bullets for almost every caliber, have 3 lead pots and a heated Lubri-sizer and gas checks. We have around 100 firearms. We maintain a stock of over 30K rounds of ammo, and have supplies (powder, primers and bullets) to reload about that amount. If you are looking at it only in an economical view - remember every cent you save is TAX FREE, so for most a $10 savings is closet to $15 or so. The bigger issue is that we can reload ammo with any charge / bullet we desire ~ reducing recoil for some, increasing velocity for some, developing the most accurate load for some.

When "ammo shortages" occur, I don't complain or panic. When surplus ammo or supplies are available we buy in bulk. We have several hundred pounds of lead, much of it acquired free. We also purchased primers when they were low priced - some we have we paid $10/k. When we go to the range we always police the area for brass. Some we don't use can be traded at Gun shows for other calibers.

We don't treat reloading any different than any other hobby. If you have to justify the cost, why not cut out the TV cable, read free books from the library, get rid of you cell phone service (yeah there was life before cell phones) sell your car and use public transportation, work all the overtime you can and get a second job. All of these are ways to increase and keep more of your income. We all choose our lifestyle based on what makes us and our families happy. I personally would rather collect firearms and reload then drive the latest hot rod or other new vehicle.

When the next ammo shortage occurs (and it certainly will) you will hear many cry. I WILL NOT BE ONE! We do purchase rimfire ammo when it is cheap, have never ran low, still have a few thousand rounds - many over 5 ~10 years old

If a SHTF situation occurs, we are prepared, all my family and friends will be well armed and will have plenty of ammo. Personally I believe if something catastrophic occurs, I could trade firearms and or ammo for food or other items I need, faster that a person could trade gold coins or bars for the same items. For those that don't feel this way, FINE ~ leaves more brass for me!

If you really have to justify everything economically NO one would have hobbies. How can you justify a boat, golf clubs or cart, television set, smart phones, internet, new vehicles, fishing equipment, etc. The ammo we shoot (and we shoot all we want) is very inexpensive compared to purchasing it from retail sources. IF we considered our investment in equipment I am sure it would still be economically justified. If we added in an hourly rate for our time, I don't know! However I do know (1) I am retired and don't do anything for money (not rich but am quite comfortable), so my time is my own and does not have a monetary value. My son certainly works almost all the overtime he is offered and is far happier reloading than seeking a second job!

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I guess it all depends on your perception of the "Hobby". My son and I collect firearms and are set up to reload very high quality ammunition. We can reload quite fast using his Lock and Load Hornady Progressive Press (equipped with almost all accessories), and have several other presses that work well. Do we have a lot of money invested ~ certainly! Do we figure what our time is worth NOPE, 99% of the people that use this excuse DON"T ever use their time that they would use to reload to make money in lieu of spending the time reloading. Instead they sit in front of the dumb box watching sitcoms.

We have accumulated molds and dies so that we can reload over 35 different calibers. We can cast bullets for almost every caliber, have 3 lead pots and a heated Lubri-sizer and gas checks. We have around 100 firearms. We maintain a stock of over 30K rounds of ammo, and have supplies (powder, primers and bullets) to reload about that amount. If you are looking at it only in an economical view - remember every cent you save is TAX FREE, so for most a $10 savings is closet to $15 or so. The bigger issue is that we can reload ammo with any charge / bullet we desire ~ reducing recoil for some, increasing velocity for some, developing the most accurate load for some.

When "ammo shortages" occur, I don't complain or panic. When surplus ammo or supplies are available we buy in bulk. We have several hundred pounds of lead, much of it acquired free. We also purchased primers when they were low priced - some we have we paid $10/k. When we go to the range we always police the area for brass. Some we don't use can be traded at Gun shows for other calibers.

We don't treat reloading any different than any other hobby. If you have to justify the cost, why not cut out the TV cable, read free books from the library, get rid of you cell phone service (yeah there was life before cell phones) sell your car and use public transportation, work all the overtime you can and get a second job. All of these are ways to increase and keep more of your income. We all choose our lifestyle based on what makes us and our families happy. I personally would rather collect firearms and reload then drive the latest hot rod or other new vehicle.

When the next ammo shortage occurs (and it certainly will) you will hear many cry. I WILL NOT BE ONE! We do purchase rimfire ammo when it is cheap, have never ran low, still have a few thousand rounds - many over 5 ~10 years old

If a SHTF situation occurs, we are prepared, all my family and friends will be well armed and will have plenty of ammo. Personally I believe if something catastrophic occurs, I could trade firearms and or ammo for food or other items I need, faster that a person could trade gold coins or bars for the same items. For those that don't feel this way, FINE ~ leaves more brass for me!

If you really have to justify everything economically NO one would have hobbies. How can you justify a boat, golf clubs or cart, television set, smart phones, internet, new vehicles, fishing equipment, etc. The ammo we shoot (and we shoot all we want) is very inexpensive compared to purchasing it from retail sources. IF we considered our investment in equipment I am sure it would still be economically justified. If we added in an hourly rate for our time, I don't know! However I do know (1) I am retired and don't do anything for money (not rich but am quite comfortable), so my time is my own and does not have a monetary value. My son certainly works almost all the overtime he is offered and is far happier reloading than seeking a second job!

BINGO!! U like apples? How do you like those apples?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

Very well said LarryC. I wish my Dad was still alive so that we could spend time together like you and your son. My Grandsons love to help Poppy reload in the basement.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Reload or get off you wallet and buy it. It's just money... :@ya:

I'm reloading 9mm for about $6 a box. Easily a 50% savings.
    If you shoot a lot, it doesn't take long to add up.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I figure it's just like anything else you have to buy anymore. I don't mind the small increase I am paying for the calibers I shoot the most. It's not enough to keep me from buying it when I need some. I'm just happy that I can get it and glad to see the store shelves regularly stocked with what I shoot.

weenpeen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Every box of ammo I buy is getting more and more depressing... Not to mention, the overall availability. I've already started looking into getting my reloading set-up.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Every box of ammo I buy is getting more and more depressing... Not to mention, the overall availability. I've already started looking into getting my reloading set-up.
    I started simple several yrs ago and I'm still VERY SIMPLE!! It is what you make it.
    I started with a Lee loader and a hammer made afew 1000 rds like that and decided it was for me, do it, you'll not be disappointed!!

Top Bottom