• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was at a Gas America a couple of years ago (I think I reported this in another topic on INGO after it happened). I was buying a fountain soda and the guy behind the counter said, "No charge," when I tried to pay. I asked him why and he told me that police officers didn't pay for their drinks there. So I told him I was not a police officer. Then he charged me. Heh.

I am amused on the occasions when people think I am a police officer. I don't understand why it happens because I don't see much resemblance to any stereotype, and it has happened when I didn't even have a gun, much openly carrying it.

jwhitaker45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    I got it the other day when I was at firehouse subs. I am a firefighter so I still got my free drink. But it's the gun. I OC as much as I can now. I try to carry my full size MK25D and it can't really be concealed. I don't really see the problem with being asked though.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I've heard second-hand people have thought I'm LEO when OCing but I've never been asked directly and I always have to pay for my fountain drinks at Casey's General Store and McDonald's (not to mention the Main Event). ;)

Believe it or not, we all don't get (or accept) free drinks at gas stations and fast food. I just got a drink at Casey's General Store and paid $1.17 for it on duty in full class A uniform.

Motorhead302

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Fulton County
    tactical-sash.jpg

are they...are they serious?

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    This ^^^^^^^ and I am sure those that ask are not trying to be anti-anything. People just LOVE starting conversations with LEO's out of the blue :n00b:

Some people do like to talk with police and tell their story how their neighbor's vet's brother was on an episode of Cops before. Probably harmless for the most part. Wait and see their true motives before getting to paranoid.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I get asked all the time even when Im not carrying anything. I also get asked what branch i am in.

I keep my hair cut short, I stand with my feet at shoulders width, and I rest my hands on my belt. Last time I was asked it was after I yelled at some girls to "cut it out" while they were making fun of a slow girl in the gas station. When i went to pay the cashier asked if i was a cop and I wasn't carrying either.

edit: i dont go around yelling at random girls they were girls that i was in charge of while i volunteered at the high school.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    are they...are they serious?

Yes. Marketed at "church security" type folks who may have to respond to an incident and don't want to get blasted by LEO in return. Or at least something that may give a LEO a second's pause.

I'm gonna guess, however, that LEO's aren't even going to notice it if they witness someone in the above stance. Especially if the LEO happens to be somewhere in front of them.

It's not an "always out" type of thing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. Marketed at "church security" type folks who may have to respond to an incident and don't want to get blasted by LEO in return. Or at least something that may give a LEO a second's pause.

I'm gonna guess, however, that LEO's aren't even going to notice it if they witness someone in the above stance. Especially if the LEO happens to be somewhere in front of them.

It's not an "always out" type of thing.
    I think it would work. Everyone would be laughing at them so hard they couldn't shoot. Good tactic I think.

zombieglock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Ever since I started carrying, I've been asked that question many times. My current girlfriend told me weeks later that when we met, she thought I was a police officer. She said my demeanor and looks made me appear as an officer. We were at a bar at that point so there was no OC.

When I OC, I get asked at least once a day, that is if I leave the house.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It's possible some of them are curious about OCing and don't know how to start a conversation. Three opportunities to educate gone in an instant...

firefighter4884

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Evansville
    I work part time at a LGS. It's one of the few places that I'll open carry on a regular basis.

I also work full time on the ambulance, and for several years worked for the private service that covered the county the shop is based in.

Numerous times I've had off-duty officers look at me strangely, and ask "You're with county aren't you?" referencing the sheriff's department. Or, I'll get an off duty deputy say "you work for city don't you."

The first time it happened, it sort of caught me off guard. Now, I expect it, and if I recognize which agency they're with, I'll explain.

it's always been friendly though, never felt harassed or put upon by any of them...

Top Bottom