• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I get free drinks all the time at my local station, asst manager thinks I'm a cop because I used to OC in there daily

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I get that sometimes. I usually cover carry, but typically when I am OCing I'm in khakis and a polo after work. I have to take advantage of the new-ish state law and leave my gun in the car*, so I use a paddle holster because thats the easiest to slip on as I drive off. Given my haircut starts as a whitewall high and tight, I think I get that assumption alot.

In fact the other day as I completed the transaction at the gas station counter, the vietnam era Marine (I could tell by his hat) behind the counter instead of saying "have a nice day!" told me "Be safe out there!".

It didnt register what he said until after I left, but If I had the presence of mind, I should have pointed at my gun and said "I'm trying, obviously... " :):

*my employer doesnt allow guns on property, but does go out of their way to say in the handbook that we are allowed to keep our loaded guns secured in personal vehicles :rockwoot:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've heard second-hand people have thought I'm LEO when OCing but I've never been asked directly and I always have to pay for my fountain drinks at Casey's General Store and McDonald's (not to mention the Main Event). ;)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'm cleaned up and wear nice clothes and I've never been asked if I was a cop. Even in nice clothes, when you're a fat bald guy, I guess I don't fit the profile. :dunno:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    "I'm not with anyone you've ever heard of"

or "No, I'm head of security for an important [insert county name here] family".

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I don't necessarily mind being asked. To me, my reaction is all about the manner and attitude of the person asking. If it's clear that they're anti-gun, I'll respond accordingly - or maybe not at all. You don't have to say a word to them if you don't want to. You're under no obligation to submit to random interrogations on the street by rude people, regardless of topic. On the other hand, if the person asking is just curious, that's a good thing, maybe an opportunity to educate another person on carry. Many folks don't even know that OC is legal, many may be considering getting an LTCH for the first time. I would try my best to encourage folks like that. The more people on our side pushing for better carry laws, the better. So I have no problem talking to people unless they're just plain intent on mounting their anti-gun soapbox.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I primarily carry for PERSONAL protection. That said, I exclusively CC with one of the more prominent reasons being that I don't see myself as any sort if a "savior". Now if I was in the right place at the right time, then sure I'll act accordingly to protect of the person in danger right in front of me if I have the option. One of the things about OCing is that in the eyes of your fellow citizens around you, whether they're pro or anti, when the chips are down in the heat of the moment you're automatically EXPECTED to be the one who saves the day, whether your personal judgement says to draw your piece or not! Maybe you decided not to do so because of the little girl who would be put in your line of potential fire, but that won't register with them because they won't see what you see. Or maybe you've concluded to yourself from the start that you're only responsible for your own protection nothing more, and there's nothing wrong with that. This is not a criticism against those who OC, just an unfortunate reality in the world we live in and one of many thresholds anyone who chooses to regularly OC needs to consider.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    People are not used to seeing a person without a badge carrying a firearm. The fact that they ask insinuates that they know there are those people though. It's just a natural reaction for some and can lead to a nice conversation most of the time.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I don't OC often, but when I do I usually get the question at least once before I get back to the house... They usually flip when I tell them no I'm in IT. My father was in law enforcement for like 37 years. My mother used to find it funny that I have almost all of his mannerisms. I always figured that's why folks make the false assumption. A couple of co-workers always joke that I'm in the wrong profession... lol

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I think some/many people believe only cops are legally allowed to open carry (or at all) which might explain why you are assumed to be a police officer at times if you open carry. Especially if you dress nicely.

If they believe it is illegal for a normal citizen to open carry and they seeing you doing so they probably think you would not be stupid enough to break the law like that in such a public fashion. Thus they assume you are police.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    People are not used to seeing a person without a badge carrying a firearm. The fact that they ask insinuates that they know there are those people though. It's just a natural reaction for some and can lead to a nice conversation most of the time.
    This ^^^^^^^ and I am sure those that ask are not trying to be anti-anything. People just LOVE starting conversations with LEO's out of the blue :n00b:

Top Bottom