• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noname1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    I was listening to the scanner last week in Hamilton County and someone called the Sheriff's Office because someone was shooting guns. They said is sounded like it may have been different guns, but one sounded like it was "automatic". The location was out in the country and one of the deputies said he was familiar with the location because everytime a Marine comes back home, he likes to go out shooting and the neighbor calls the police. The deputy said he was going to make contact with the guys to make sure everything was fine. Shortly after, the supervisor came on the radio and said that if the guys were on their property and were not trespasssing, there was no reason to make contact since they were not breaking any laws. He advised to the deputy to contact the complainant and explain that he can shoot on his property in the country if he wants.

Big thumbs up to the way that was handled.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    What time of day? Even though legal, it would still be a jerk move to shoot late at night within earshot of neighbors.

That's absurd. There's no place in the state of Indiana where you could shoot even a 22 pistol and not be with in earshot of some one.

Better to just remember what goes around, comes around and if you wouldn't want your closest neighbor to do it, then don't you do it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have shot out here all night long......no sheriff came and seen me...and it wasn't a 22rl either.....:D +1 for Hamilton County

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I was listening to the scanner last week in Hamilton County and someone called the Sheriff's Office because someone was shooting guns. They said is sounded like it may have been different guns, but one sounded like it was "automatic". The location was out in the country and one of the deputies said he was familiar with the location because everytime a Marine comes back home, he likes to go out shooting and the neighbor calls the police. The deputy said he was going to make contact with the guys to make sure everything was fine. Shortly after, the supervisor came on the radio and said that if the guys were on their property and were not trespasssing, there was no reason to make contact since they were not breaking any laws. He advised to the deputy to contact the complainant and explain that he can shoot on his property in the country if he wants.

Big thumbs up to the way that was handled.

If it was last Sunday it could have been my son and I, we shot his .20 ga turkey gun , my Czech 7.62 TOK and my SKS
    I did rapid fire a few times:rockwoot::rockwoot:
    guess we should have called all the neighbors to make sure it was OK with the 1st:rolleyes:

NOT!

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    If it is after about ten at night, it would be disrespectful to your neighbors. If you are shooting after dark, what are you shooting at unless you are hunting with night vision?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If it is after about ten at night, it would be disrespectful to your neighbors. If you are shooting after dark, what are you shooting at unless you are hunting with night vision?

Beavers, coyote, possom, dogs, thieves, target to confirm I'm well capable of hitting any of those if I so chose day or night. With a light or not.

Any of my neighbors are welcome to do the same and they know it. Any neighbors I've not discussed it with know all they need to know when they hear that piece of steel ring.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    What time of day? Even though legal, it would still be a jerk move to shoot late at night within earshot of neighbors.

No disrespect intended, but its their property, they can do as they please. If they want to do some low light shooting, more power to them. Who are you, or anyone else to tell someone what they can or cannot do on their own property.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Because some of us have to get up at ungodly hours to go to work, and it would be inconsiderate and disrespectful to shoot all night. You know, UN NEIGHBORLY. I shoot pretty much whenever I want, and my neighbors on both sides do too. I wouldn't have a problem in the world with a neighbor shooting after dark in moderation, especially on the weekend... but I do try to be considerate of them, and expect the same in return. Just so's you know, I pretty much shoot the same hours that most cities specify for loud machinery, like mowers, construction equipment, etc. if they have a noise ordinance. 8:00 am to dark, or so. Other than that, if some knucklehead doesn't understand that he is in the country, and not in the city, and that it's NORMAL to shoot in the country, then maybe he should rejoin the concrete jungle.

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    Because some of us have to get up at ungodly hours to go to work, and it would be inconsiderate and disrespectful to shoot all night. You know, UN NEIGHBORLY. I shoot pretty much whenever I want, and my neighbors on both sides do too. I wouldn't have a problem in the world with a neighbor shooting after dark in moderation, especially on the weekend... but I do try to be considerate of them, and expect the same in return. Just so's you know, I pretty much shoot the same hours that most cities specify for loud machinery, like mowers, construction equipment, etc. if they have a noise ordinance. 8:00 am to dark, or so. Other than that, if some knucklehead doesn't understand that he is in the country, and not in the city, and that it's NORMAL to shoot in the country, then maybe he should rejoin the concrete jungle.

:+1:

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well leaves me out, not a marine! 4 is about the time I like to go have some fun with the 10/22 and ar with .22 conversion in. I guess it might be mistaken as auto.

County has never gave us any trouble. We did have a couple of troopers show up a few years ago. We had installed a propane fired cannon in the middle of our sweet corn field(about a 60 acre field). It is there to scare away the birds, and goes off every 5 minutes or so. They got a call for the neighbor that we had been shooting all day! County was tied up at the time, so the troopers responded. I saw them park on the road, so I approached in my truck. I explained what was going on and all was good.

The joys of country living!!

Top Bottom