• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hmmm...We all claim to be defenders of freedom, but we carry torches and pitchforks to the doors of a private company for enforcing their own policies. While I wouldn't patronize an establishment whose policies weren't in tune with my own moral compass, I would still respect their rights as a private entity to regulate the actions of their employees within the confines of company time.

Imagine a Pizza Hut driver armed with high velocity FMJ rounds, and he fires in an obvious self defense action.....the round goes through the bg and into a little girl on her way home from ballet class. The driver is on company time and is therefore a representative of the company........anybody smell HUGE lawsuit?

Don't misunderstand, I would be all for Pizza Hut changing their policy to allow drivers to carry, but I am also all for Pizza Hut deciding, as a private company, whatever their policy will be.

If you're uncomfortable delivering while complying with Pizza Hut's non-carry policy, I'd suggest you find a more accomidating place of employment. After all, this has been a standing policy, and the employees were aware, or should have been aware of it from the start.

When Starbucks told the Brady Campaign to take a hike, I was impressed....not for their overt support of gun rights, that support was only assumed by us. Starbuck's position was not one of gun rights, it was simply Starbuck's demonstrating their rights to make and maintain their OWN policy. I was impressed only at Starbuck's decision not to cave in to the pressure applied by the Brady Campaign. I would expect Pizza Hut to act the same way. I would much rather see them not cave in to any pressure, and maintain their OWN policy. In my mind, the only thing an OC demonstration would accomplish would be to have Pizza Hut ban firearms entirely.

Let them try to ban firearms entirely. Signs have no force of law in Indiana. If they ask me to leave, it will be after they've taken my order and started my pizza, and if I have to leave, I'm certainly not going to stop to pay for something I can't stay to eat. Result: Lose/lose for them. The "little girl on the way home from ballet" class is a classic Brady teeth-gnash/handwring/panty-wet in which I place no stock. See Cooper's "Rule #4". Further, if they wish to continue this policy of theirs after HB 1065 becomes law, they will face lawsuits they will lose. If their policy is that employees may not be armed, that would be a policy forbidding possession on their premises. If the employee defends himself OFF of their premises, I don't see as they have any say in the matter. Indiana is, however, employment at will, so they'll just find another reason to fire the employee, or will simply not provide him/her enough hours to make a living and they will go elsewhere. I don't think PH will care. There are lots of sheople willing to be cannon fodder.

Blessings,
    Bill

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Maybe Starbucks will start serving pizza........LOL

What a load of horse crap.....OC day at Pizza Hut tomorrow ???
    Maybe, you know they do serve breakfast sandwiches made with sausage and bacon. Although, after you buy the sandwich (which is half the size of McD's) and a pastry and a drink, you've spent about 10 bucks. Makes me like staying home more all the time.

SootKing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    not tellin
    If it was me who suggested OCing at Pizza Hut, as a joke, I would get bombarded with negative reps. Now others are joking about carrying and no flags? WTF over?

yea there are a lot of people on ingo that love to flip flop.. i dont really care. i made a honest thread a week ago i guess worded it bad and got smashed with neg reps...whatever

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    yea there are a lot of people on ingo that love to flip flop.. i dont really care. i made a honest thread a week ago i guess worded it bad and got smashed with neg reps...whatever

Flip_Flop_Beach_Sign.jpg

:laugh:

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Your argument makes no sense.

Just because the company tells you it's against the rules for you to perform some act it doesn't absolve the company from responsibilty if you violate the rules & someone is injured while you are on company time.

If the shooting is illegal in the first place (i.e. the driver wasn't really getting robbed, he just mistakenly thought he was) then they have just as much liability even if the company says it's not OK to carry. The driver is still an agent of the company until they are fired for carrying against the company's policy.

Another example: If an employee steals a customers money then the company is still liable for refunding the customers money even though I'm sure most companies have a rule against stealing.

If the shooting is otherwise legal then the company is protected just as much as the shooter from liability.

(BTW the BG is not a thief - that implies a property crime which ISN'T what we are talikng about here, it's a robbery - i.e. a crime against A PERSON.)

Freedoms aren't unlimited. True, you can do "whatever you want" on your own land BUT that doesn't mean you can cause someone to be injured by your actions even on your own land (self-defense excepted).

A company DOES NOT have the right to have any policy in place that they have reason to believe will cause an employee to be injured on the job. Pizza Hut is required BY LAW to ensure that the employees who work in the kitchen areas have the proper PPE to prevent themselves from being injured by the grease, knives, hot ovens, etc. that they work around. Why should it be OK for Pizza Hut (or any other business) to remove a potentially life saving tool from an employee just because SOME PEOPLE are scared of it? I'm sure there are people who are scared of the knives that the employees have to use in the kitchen but there's no ban on employees using them.

Would anybody here recommend that we send LEO's out onto the street without a means of self-defense? Cops shoot more innocent people each year than LTCH holders do (not a bash on cops - just the facts). Why aren't we worried about the liability incurred there?

I'd like to see that the company is held responsible for injuries to employees by knowingly putting them in potentially dangerous situations without the proper protective equipment. Sounds like a valid OSHA violation to me. Anybody smell a different HUGE lawsuit?

I'd much rather have the driver be alive & the company sued by some idiot of a robber & probably win since the company will have more resouces to fight that kind of a suit than have the driver end up dead & the company tell his family that "he sure was a good employee for following the rules...Oh & here's his last check. Have a nice life."

I kind of feel the same way........all I'm saying is that I can sort of sympathize with PH's position. I'm not sure I like the idea of forcing a private company to change their policy and cause them to take on more liability. If they were to change their policy, I would also think it would force them to institute a certified instruction policy which would cost them more money.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Let them try to ban firearms entirely. Signs have no force of law in Indiana. If they ask me to leave, it will be after they've taken my order and started my pizza, and if I have to leave, I'm certainly not going to stop to pay for something I can't stay to eat. Result: Lose/lose for them. The "little girl on the way home from ballet" class is a classic Brady teeth-gnash/handwring/panty-wet in which I place no stock. See Cooper's "Rule #4". Further, if they wish to continue this policy of theirs after HB 1065 becomes law, they will face lawsuits they will lose. If their policy is that employees may not be armed, that would be a policy forbidding possession on their premises. If the employee defends himself OFF of their premises, I don't see as they have any say in the matter. Indiana is, however, employment at will, so they'll just find another reason to fire the employee, or will simply not provide him/her enough hours to make a living and they will go elsewhere. I don't think PH will care. There are lots of sheople willing to be cannon fodder.

Blessings,
    Bill

If they ask you to leave, why in the world would they take your order?

I just have a hard time understanding what an open carry demonstration would solve........open carrying in Pizza Hut is not the issue.

Top Bottom