• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    So the delivery guy knock's on the door and the door open's and a person at that second pull's a gun on him? Will he be stupid enough to go for his gun? I doubt it.

Huh? Do you really think they get robbed knocking on a door? And several have shot and killed their assailants while at gunpoint. Your comment is just.... wrong.

jerp239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Weird, I just carried semi-concealed to Pizza Hut. I wasn't given any trouble. I guess I'll still carry there until they kick me out!

This post is not about patrons carrying into their restaurants, it's about their delivery drivers carrying while they are on the clock.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If it became a state law, allowing all delivery employees to carry, and that driver had to use his weapon. What are the chances of being able to file a wrongful termination suit against them and winning?

Ok that brings up an interesting question. If an employee can keep a firearm in their car on an employers parking lot, what does that mean for a delivery driver? It is afterall their car. But, they are using it for company business. Hmm.......

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I have said this numerous times, shooting a BG in defense of an employers property is a bad idea. Let them steal it. Who cares, you get paid whether you get robbed or not. Now I agree that if the situation escalated where your life in in danger not just some strong-arm tactic, then defend yourself accordingly. Just like if I were in the bank, and someone walked up to the counter and said it was a hold-up, and he proceeded to empty the banks trays, not having a weapon, let them have the money, LEO will catch them anyway. No reason to escalate. Just my 2 cents...

INGunGuy

SedahDrol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    FYI. All national pizza chains will fire a driver for carrying a gun. Of course things will change once HB1065 is signed. Drivers will be able to have a gun in their car. Of course company can still fire them if they take it to the customers door. The law only allows for it to be in the vehicle. not on their person. Usually you are robbed either walking to the customers door or walking back to your car. Unfortunately that means that the gun in the drivers car is virtually useless.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    FYI. All national pizza chains will fire a driver for carrying a gun. Of course things will change once HB1065 is signed. Drivers will be able to have a gun in their car. Of course company can still fire them if they take it to the customers door. The law only allows for it to be in the vehicle. not on their person. Usually you are robbed either walking to the customers door or walking back to your car. Unfortunately that means that the gun in the drivers car is virtually useless.

Of course company can still fire them if they take it to the customers door. The law only allows for it to be in the vehicle. not on their person.
    What does this have to do with Company property?
    That was the whole argument over HB1065.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    36   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    BOO

I am not defending any body but all of you are about to open carry at pizza hut!??? Y?? The O.P didnt say anything about pizza hut banning it's customers from carrying just their employee's ! not that i think they r right i just think we need to look at the whole picture?

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I am not defending any body but all of you are about to open carry at pizza hut!??? Y?? The O.P didnt say anything about pizza hut banning it's customers from carrying just their employee's ! not that i think they r right i just think we need to look at the whole picture?

I can agree sort of. An open carry event says "We will still eat here". The message that needs to be sent is "until you change your policy and allow drivers the ability to defend themselves, we won't eat here".

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    The policies are to protect the company, this is why they don't want employees going after someone they catch steeling because they don't want the theif to sue. If the pizza guy is driving down the road and "thinks" he is about to get robbed, pull's his gun and for some reason end's up shooting to early then the possible theif end's up suing the pizza joint....... I sure he could sue just for the guy pulling the gun on him (the theif).

In the end it is up to you on if you value your job over your life.

Your argument makes no sense.

Just because the company tells you it's against the rules for you to perform some act it doesn't absolve the company from responsibilty if you violate the rules & someone is injured while you are on company time.

If the shooting is illegal in the first place (i.e. the driver wasn't really getting robbed, he just mistakenly thought he was) then they have just as much liability even if the company says it's not OK to carry. The driver is still an agent of the company until they are fired for carrying against the company's policy.

Another example: If an employee steals a customers money then the company is still liable for refunding the customers money even though I'm sure most companies have a rule against stealing.

If the shooting is otherwise legal then the company is protected just as much as the shooter from liability.

(BTW the BG is not a thief - that implies a property crime which ISN'T what we are talikng about here, it's a robbery - i.e. a crime against A PERSON.)

Hmmm...We all claim to be defenders of freedom, but we carry torches and pitchforks to the doors of a private company for enforcing their own policies. While I wouldn't patronize an establishment whose policies weren't in tune with my own moral compass, I would still respect their rights as a private entity to regulate the actions of their employees within the confines of company time.

Imagine a Pizza Hut driver armed with high velocity FMJ rounds, and he fires in an obvious self defense action.....the round goes through the bg and into a little girl on her way home from ballet class. The driver is on company time and is therefore a representative of the company........anybody smell HUGE lawsuit?

Don't misunderstand, I would be all for Pizza Hut changing their policy to allow drivers to carry, but I am also all for Pizza Hut deciding, as a private company, whatever their policy will be.

If you're uncomfortable delivering while complying with Pizza Hut's non-carry policy, I'd suggest you find a more accomidating place of employment. After all, this has been a standing policy, and the employees were aware, or should have been aware of it from the start.

When Starbucks told the Brady Campaign to take a hike, I was impressed....not for their overt support of gun rights, that support was only assumed by us. Starbuck's position was not one of gun rights, it was simply Starbuck's demonstrating their rights to make and maintain their OWN policy. I was impressed only at Starbuck's decision not to cave in to the pressure applied by the Brady Campaign. I would expect Pizza Hut to act the same way. I would much rather see them not cave in to any pressure, and maintain their OWN policy. In my mind, the only thing an OC demonstration would accomplish would be to have Pizza Hut ban firearms entirely.

Freedoms aren't unlimited. True, you can do "whatever you want" on your own land BUT that doesn't mean you can cause someone to be injured by your actions even on your own land (self-defense excepted).

A company DOES NOT have the right to have any policy in place that they have reason to believe will cause an employee to be injured on the job. Pizza Hut is required BY LAW to ensure that the employees who work in the kitchen areas have the proper PPE to prevent themselves from being injured by the grease, knives, hot ovens, etc. that they work around. Why should it be OK for Pizza Hut (or any other business) to remove a potentially life saving tool from an employee just because SOME PEOPLE are scared of it? I'm sure there are people who are scared of the knives that the employees have to use in the kitchen but there's no ban on employees using them.

Would anybody here recommend that we send LEO's out onto the street without a means of self-defense? Cops shoot more innocent people each year than LTCH holders do (not a bash on cops - just the facts). Why aren't we worried about the liability incurred there?

I'd like to see that the company is held responsible for injuries to employees by knowingly putting them in potentially dangerous situations without the proper protective equipment. Sounds like a valid OSHA violation to me. Anybody smell a different HUGE lawsuit?

I'd much rather have the driver be alive & the company sued by some idiot of a robber & probably win since the company will have more resouces to fight that kind of a suit than have the driver end up dead & the company tell his family that "he sure was a good employee for following the rules...Oh & here's his last check. Have a nice life."

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    " So I asked, "What are you going to do if the state passes a law allowing your employees to have a firearm in their cars on your property?"

Help me out. I didn't know there was a law that prevented anyone from keeping their firearm in their car, unless it's on school property. Either way, I bet the people who were in that store were happy that he had a gun. Imagine what the world would be like if the criminals knew that, in that situation, there could be 5,6 or 10 guns pulled on him?

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I ate at the Bedford Pizza the Hut last weekend.

The pizza blew, but the young waitress was very sweet and attentive.

Yep, I was carrying an H&K P7.

Too bad their employees can't do the same..........

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    zphique;904992Help me out. I didn't know there was a law that prevented anyone from keeping their firearm in their car said:
    You are correct. There is no law that prevents you from keeping a gun on your employers property. There are only your employers rules for a violation of which you could be fired.

There is a new law that just passed the IN legislature that will override any employer rules about guns stored in your vehicle at work. Once it goes into effect then you will be legally able to carry a gun in your vehicle on your employers property no matter what their rules state.

Top Bottom