• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Please never have children or train other's.

Why? There's two ways to learn, either by listening or by experience. My son did the same thing, he wanted to hold a semi auto with a revolver grip. I told him a few times that it was a bad idea and showed him a proper grip. As soon as I backed off, he adjusted his grip, fired, and learned, through experience, that I was right.

My dad had a saying, "When you feel the heat, you see the light".

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    BTW, I'm not being critical of the OP. His child, his call. There are times when a parent needs to say "end of discussion" and times when the parent needs to sit back and say "I told you so". My child? Slide bite and learn. Same with scope ring.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Why? There's two ways to learn, either by listening or by experience. My son did the same thing, he wanted to hold a semi auto with a revolver grip. I told him a few times that it was a bad idea and showed him a proper grip. As soon as I backed off, he adjusted his grip, fired, and learned, through experience, that I was right.

My dad had a saying, "When you feel the heat, you see the light".

I agree with both of your posts. My son does like to learn things for himself... most of the time I am hands off and have let him learn the hard way plenty of times. This time was different and that was my choice.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    First, I have no problem with what you did. I'm not one to criticize someone else's parenting choices.

Second, I have teen daughters (similar, but different, set of problems) and my son won't be a teen for a couple more years. I'm trying to anticipate what I would do in your situation. Did you show him mechanically how you could teach him that he was doing it wrong, but it would be much more painful? I would've been tempted to say, "You think you got it all figured out? Let's see how that works out for you."

I mean, that almost seems like the classic you-only-touch-the-hot-burner-one-time type lesson.

Again, please don't think I'm criticizing, just trying to figure out how the discussion would go.

ETA: My son has been shooting 2x already with .22LR long guns and been very attentive and rule-conscious. (More than his dad on 1 occasion.) ;)

No worries.. I get what you are saying. You know your kids best and will make the best decision you can at the time if the situation arises. I did both show him a proper grip and let him try to reproduce it. When he could not, I attempted instruction and he was not open to it and the attitude took over. Most often he is attentive and interested in learning. This was a hiccup moment so to speak. We have really only been shooting for 3 or so years... only rifles and have had no issues prior. I think he was having a "moment" and my post was simply to add to the forum an experience I had.
    That last comment may not really be for your benefit.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    ​Children should be beaten and not heard.

lol

On a side note I have a 6yr old that I have been wanting to buy a little cricket 22 rifle for her. I'm the only one in the family that enjoys shooting so it has not been a huge rush to get. She may like it but I too am concerned she can't listen and fully understand. This year for Chrismas she is getting a pink daisy rifle though. Start small I guess. As far as the OP's kid you did the right thing.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    BTW, I'm not being critical of the OP. His child, his call. There are times when a parent needs to say "end of discussion" and times when the parent needs to sit back and say "I told you so". My child? Slide bite and learn. Same with scope ring.

Ugh. When I was a kid, I stamped a 1/4 slice of a scope ring on my head. I felt like a moron. A bleeding moron. Lesson learned, and I got to see the reminder in the mirror for the next week. Plus hearing all of the reminders from my friends.

I think both ways of teaching your kids have their place (I have 3 teens). Something I like to do after I give instructions is to stand up and trade places. I tell them, "Ok, now; you're the teacher and I'm your student. You have to teach me how to do this properly and explain why I need to do it this way." If they can teach it, I know they've listened and understand. If not, we try again.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Ugh. When I was a kid, I stamped a 1/4 slice of a scope ring on my head. I felt like a moron. A bleeding moron. Lesson learned, and I got to see the reminder in the mirror for the next week. Plus hearing all of the reminders from my friends.

I think both ways of teaching your kids have their place (I have 3 teens). Something I like to do after I give instructions is to stand up and trade places. I tell them, "Ok, now; you're the teacher and I'm your student. You have to teach me how to do this properly and explain why I need to do it this way." If they can teach it, I know they've listened and understand. If not, we try again.

That is excellent advice, well done sir!

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    lol

On a side note I have a 6yr old that I have been wanting to buy a little cricket 22 rifle for her. I'm the only one in the family that enjoys shooting so it has not been a huge rush to get. She may like it but I too am concerned she can't listen and fully understand. This year for Chrismas she is getting a pink daisy rifle though. Start small I guess. As far as the OP's kid you did the right thing.

My suggestion is also look at the Savage Rascal. I believe the Cricket requires an additional move when arming. After the bullet is loaded and the bolt is closed.... you then have to pull back to arm. On the Rascal... closing the bolt is arming the weapon.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    lol

While a lot is largely dependent on the child, a good portion of it is also dependent on her history with firearms in general. My younger son was shooting at age 3 and my older was 4 when he first got behind the trigger. So the age of 6 alone is not going to be a big deterrent to a proper education. They can sit in a school seat for 6-7 hours a day, can't they? ;) If you've exposed her to firearms prior to, given her an opportunity to handle under supervision, and drilled the safety rules during those handling experiences, as long as she has the self control and there aren't any behavioral or mental issues that would impeded normal educational/learning process, she can understand. If she hasn't had any hands-on experience with it though, I would wait for range time and see how she does when given the opportunity to handle at home in a controlled environment under supervision.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Was at the range one day, a man and his son was also there. The son was tearing the center out of a target about 30 yards away with a 22 rifle. Son was being very safe. Dad standing very near to him all the time. The Son was 4, and had been shooting since he turned 3.

Most kids, its never too young to at least start.

Top Bottom