• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Hey I thought I would ask, all anybody can say is no right? My 9mm is too big for my daughter (she is 19).

I am looking to borrow a .380 so I can let her try it. I want to buy one for her and I want her to try one first.

I guess I can rent one at one of the indoor ranges I would just hate to pay the exorbitant price for buying there ammo. If there is anyone who help please pm me.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If you want to make a drive over toward Crawfordsville, Cathy will let you and her bang away with her Bersa Thunder .380. If recoil is the issue, this is a gun you might want to look at. It's a TON of fun to shoot, accurate enough to pop clay pigeons at 25 yards, and has proven to be a reliable little gun for Cathy. It's one I highly recommend. Look for a review tomorrow in the review competition section :)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    .38 spcl ammo is cheaper than .380 and there are lots of nice small revolvers.

Actually, that's not the case any more. Locally, I can get .380 for $17 per 50, .38s are running around $18.

Could get the steel cased TulaArms ammo from Wal-Mart for $15, but we'll skip that.

And a small .38 is hard to shoot well, and not necessarily a lot of fun. If she can't handle a 9mm, I doubt a snubby .38 is going to do the trick for her either.

Coydog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Fort Greenwood
    Maybe I took it the wrong way. I was thinking she couldn't handle the 9mm because her hands are too small. I never considered that anyone couldn't handle the recoil.

Even if prices are the same there is more .38spcl available. The last time I went to Gander Mtn there wasn't any .380 to be had at any price. That was about a month ago.

I like the Bersa and .380 and have been an advocate even when it wasn't popular, but I would never recommend an automatic to anyone for their first handgun especially if they intend to carry it.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Actually, that's not the case any more. Locally, I can get .380 for $17 per 50, .38s are running around $18.

Could get the steel cased TulaArms ammo from Wal-Mart for $15, but we'll skip that.

And a small .38 is hard to shoot well, and not necessarily a lot of fun. If she can't handle a 9mm, I doubt a snubby .38 is going to do the trick for her either.
    The problem is pulling the slide. It was difficult for her. She can pull it once but she can not clear it properly as it offers her too much resistance. I am taking her back to NWI tomorrow and we will be with her again through Christmas what is Cathy's schedule like?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Hey I thought I would ask, all anybody can say is no right? My 9mm is too big for my daughter (she is 19).

What is your current firearm and what do you mean by too big? Too big grip? Too much recoil? Joe's Bersa Thunder 380 is an excellent suggestion for a firearm that is easier to control than the tiny P3AT or LCPs. .380s are often considered the minimum self-defense caliber, so if you can find a 9mm that works, that might be a better option. Kahrs have excellent 9mms with smaller grips. Oh, and asking to try a specific firearm is fairly common at INGO. Its a community thing. ;) Give us some more details and I'm sure more suggestions will be forthcoming.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The problem is pulling the slide. It was difficult for her. She can pull it once but she can not clear it properly as it offers her too much resistance. I am taking her back to NWI tomorrow and we will be with her again through Christmas what is Cathy's schedule like?

It's pretty open, right now. Give us a holler if you want to try the gun, heck she can try it tomorrow on your way up north if you want LOL.

She'll find the little Bersa's slide easy to manage, I think. Cathy loves the gun. At $300 or less new, they are certainly worth checking out.

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    I am near Bloomfield, you are welcome to stop by at my Range. My wife has a Taurus .380 and I have a Keltec. She is welcome to try both as well as my .38 specials. Email me if you are interested in order that I don't miss a post.

Last edited:

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    What is your current firearm and what do you mean by too big? Too big grip? Too much recoil? Joe's Bersa Thunder 380 is an excellent suggestion for a firearm that is easier to control than the tiny P3AT or LCPs. .380s are often considered the minimum self-defense caliber, so if you can find a 9mm that works, that might be a better option. Kahrs have excellent 9mms with smaller grips. Oh, and asking to try a specific firearm is fairly common at INGO. Its a community thing. ;) Give us some more details and I'm sure more suggestions will be forthcoming.
    Mine is a S&W 915. The grip is too big, the slide is to difficult for her to pull and it's too heavy for her. She has not shot this one but I know my daughter and I know the recoil would be to much for her. I have taken her out and had her look at guns she liked the Taurus 380 and the S & W Bodyguard 38.

Shoot me a pm with number Joe. I'll call either way.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Just saw your note about racking the slide. Kahrs tend to be tough there, so they may be ruled out. However, problems racking the slide are likely fixed by better technique. Unless she has arthritic hands (unlikely at 19), she can likely rack almost any semiauto. The key is to push forward with one hand on the grip while gripping the slide properly and pulling back with the other. Many try to do all of the work with one hand and a poor grip.

There is an excellent video at GunTalk.tv on the technique called "slide ruler", however you will need to register at the site. Lots of excellent training videos there.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    If you are willing to make the trip to our shop (see link below) we can rent you a 380 or 38sp and if you decide to purchase a gun while you are there we will take the rental fee off the price as curtisy. As far as ammo go's our ammo is as low as any WalMart!!!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I got my daughter a Sig P239 (9mm) for her 18th birthday. She is brutally accurate with it.

Maybe my daughter is an exception, but she has never shied away from any caliber, and at one time was very interested in a Desert Eagle in .50AE!!! She has fired a friends .480 Ruger revolver and smiled.

Best thing to do is what has already been suggested, take her out and let her sample a few different pistols. I also have to agree to stay away from Kahrs because they have very stout recoil springs. After over 1000 rounds fired my PM9 still takes three hands and a foot to get the slide back. But in reality, a 9mm is not a bad choice.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    If she has small hands...check out the new Walther's...they have a small grip! The Bersa Thunder .380acp is a nice gun, but be careful as the slide/grip will chew up the web of your thumb if you're not careful...I always wore gloves when shooting my Bersa at the range (I sold it years ago.)

I would definitely recommend a 9mm over a .380acp. My wife started with a Beretta Model 84 Cheetah .380acp and quickly upgraded to a 9mm Glock 26...but she has long fingers. We installed a Model 19 magazine and added an A&G Grip Spacer to give her a full-sized grip in a subcompact model pistol...which she really likes!!!

I have a Ruger LCR in .38+P that is incredibly accurate. A good .38+P will give you better penetration than a 9mm...just a thought! I have small hands (short fingers) so I have to be careful what I carry / shoot as some pistols (such as the Beretta 92's / Taurus 92's / etc) which have just too big of a grip to be comfortable for me.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If a modified Browning recoil-operated pistol is hard for her to rack, then there's not much of a chance that a .380 will be any easier.

Almost all of these pistols are straight blow-back operated; meaning that the recoil spring must be of sufficient weight to handle ALL the recoil.

Whereas in other pistols, the recoil spring only handles "most" of the recoil. :D

I think that the newer Walther PK380 or whatever they're called (the polymer one) isn't straight blow-back, but I'm not sure.

Also, the issue with a small revolver will be a much higher felt recoil. MUCH higher when you make it an airweight and add in some +p defensive rounds.

To help with the issue of racking the slide, try this:

Instead of holding your main shooting hand still and using your off hand (naturally weaker grip) to pinch the slide and move it rear-ward; keep your off hand still and "push" the frame of the gun forward with the dominant hand.

Also try putting the entire "off hand" on the slide, not just a pinch with 2 or 3 fingers.

-J-

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    If a modified Browning recoil-operated pistol is hard for her to rack, then there's not much of a chance that a .380 will be any easier.

Almost all of these pistols are straight blow-back operated; meaning that the recoil spring must be of sufficient weight to handle ALL the recoil.

Whereas in other pistols, the recoil spring only handles "most" of the recoil. :D

I think that the newer Walther PK380 or whatever they're called (the polymer one) isn't straight blow-back, but I'm not sure.

Also, the issue with a small revolver will be a much higher felt recoil. MUCH higher when you make it an airweight and add in some +p defensive rounds.

To help with the issue of racking the slide, try this:

Instead of holding your main shooting hand still and using your off hand (naturally weaker grip) to pinch the slide and move it rear-ward; keep your off hand still and "push" the frame of the gun forward with the dominant hand.

Also try putting the entire "off hand" on the slide, not just a pinch with 2 or 3 fingers.

-J-
    I really think there is a mental block because of the size of the weapon not the actual weapon it's self. You must remember she has been raised in Canada and no matter what she needs to get past years of influence of (sometimes) well meaning people.

I think once I have her used to a .380 I could move her up to a 9mm. Or I may stick to a wheel gun, we'll see.

I thought I had her past this a couple of months ago but apparently not. She does like the 380 and the 38's.

No matter who you are, you have to be comfortable with the gun you have or it becomes an expensive paperweight.

Top Bottom