• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The problem is pulling the slide. It was difficult for her. She can pull it once but she can not clear it properly as it offers her too much resistance. I am taking her back to NWI tomorrow and we will be with her again through Christmas what is Cathy's schedule like?

I would highly suggest going to a good size gun shop and try several guns. My wife could hardly even budge the slide on my SR9c, but she can use her G19 with ease. She is 5'1" and about 115lbs btw, if she can rack the slide, most other women can too.

Ideally you could partner up with a couple with a wife who shoots, take some of the intimidation away.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Hey I thought I would ask, all anybody can say is no right? My 9mm is too big for my daughter (she is 19).

I am looking to borrow a .380 so I can let her try it. I want to buy one for her and I want her to try one first.

I guess I can rent one at one of the indoor ranges I would just hate to pay the exorbitant price for buying there ammo. If there is anyone who help please pm me.

Jiminez Arms makes a really affordable .380 that runs around $130s at Ludco... The gun is a solid metal frame and slide, unlike the Kel-Tec and it is absolutely concealable and has a safety.

My buddy has one, I can't lend out a buddy's gun but the gun is solid. The only problem I have seen it have was with TulaAmo steel cases (which are pretty crappy any who), they wouldn't feed right so the gun wouldn't return to full battery :n00b:....

I would definately suggest this .380 based on its size and durability for a purse gun.

I have two .380s and neither have a safety, a double action only IS NOT a safety.

If someone wants to shoot my Kel-Tec, I have no problem lending it out. The only draw back is it is a "polymer" (seems more like cheap plastic) frame so its 10 oz loaded and it kicks something feirce... the Jiminez doesn't.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Jiminez Arms makes a really affordable .380 that runs around $130s at Ludco... The gun is a solid metal frame and slide, unlike the Kel-Tec and it is absolutely concealable and has a safety.

My buddy has one, I can't lend out a buddy's gun but the gun is solid. The only problem I have seen it have was with TulaAmo steel cases (which are pretty crappy any who), they wouldn't feed right so the gun wouldn't return to full battery :n00b:....

I would definately suggest this .380 based on its size and durability for a purse gun.

I have two .380s and neither have a safety, a double action only IS NOT a safety.

If someone wants to shoot my Kel-Tec, I have no problem lending it out. The only draw back is it is a "polymer" (seems more like cheap plastic) frame so its 10 oz loaded and it kicks something feirce... the Jiminez doesn't.
    I appreciate the input but Jiminez Arms are out of the question for me and my family. I understand you are happy with them and I do not want to be a joy kill but after my research into their guns ruled them out.

But as I said I really appreciate that you took the time for me and my daughter :)

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I appreciate the input but Jiminez Arms are out of the question for me and my family. I understand you are happy with them and I do not want to be a joy kill but after my research into their guns ruled them out.

But as I said I really appreciate that you took the time for me and my daughter :)

I do prefer American Made arms, mind me asking why you ruled them out?

I have fired a few hundred rounds out of the JA 380 and the 9mm.... they are as good of quality as a highpoint IMHO and Kel - tec...

IMO I would rather buy a a Jiminez than a foreign made gun... plus I think they are essentially just the old bryco...

flyboy727

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Evansville area
    I have a .380 which I always carry. It's a sig p238, very nice compact 1911 style. It has external hammer and safety.

I have had other .380's in the past. The price of the ammo is hard to justify.
    Buying a 9mm will pay for itself.

I also have a glock 26, 9 mm, with pinky extensions on the mag. Nice gun, very simple and reliable, very manageable recoil.

Kel-tex makes a very inexpensive compact 9mm. I have my eye on a Kahr PM 9 as my next purchase , buy they r more expensive and are very tight and hard to rack the slide.

Again, I would try for a 9mm.
    I have a glock 26 with pinky extensions on the grip. Nice shooting , simple reliable gun.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    May I suggest a Taurus 709 Slim, it should be just fine for her small hands, while offering the 9mm round over a .380, nice gun in a small tight package.

Coydog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Fort Greenwood
    There are only two automatics that she will like enough to actually want to shoot and carry. The Kel-tec .32 and the Beretta 21A in .22lr. You can get a woman a gun but you can't make her carry it. The gun she will carry is better than any that she only uses at the range to please her daddy.

The 21A is the only one I would recommend for a young woman. The slide need never be manually retracted for loading and unloading. It has a half cock safety as well as a safety lever and is double action for the first shot. It is fun to shoot and she can afford to shoot as much as she wants to.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I do prefer American Made arms, mind me asking why you ruled them out?

I have fired a few hundred rounds out of the JA 380 and the 9mm.... they are as good of quality as a highpoint IMHO and Kel - tec...

IMO I would rather buy a a Jiminez than a foreign made gun... plus I think they are essentially just the old bryco...
    Well to start they are hard to travel with as they are banned in several states. They have a history of firing when the safety is engaged and i have seen them release when the slide lock is on when they are bumped.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    I've got a Berretta .380. its very nice, expensive even when i bought it 13 years ago. but it shoots like a dream...... its also bigger than alot of .380's very comfy

jake

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've had a bunch of .380s over the years and the easiest slide to operate was the Walther PK380. It was a very soft shooter too. I currently have a PPK/S, a pair of Bersas and a Sig P238. Avoid the PPK/S. Stock springs are very stiff and the double action trigger is something like 15 pounds. The Sig is my favorite and is both easy to rack and fun to shoot. The Bersa's are great guns too, but are a little snappier in recoil than the Sig is.

My wife was raised in California and was very anti-gun until she started shooting. Once she became comfortable with the P22, she got to like the 9mm. At first though, she did not want any part of a 'big' gun like the 9mm and just shot the P22. She's been shooting for over a year now and is even comfortable with the 45s. When you're not used to shooting anything, the 9mm seems intimidating. I'm guessing theres a good chance that once your daughter does more shooting, the 9mm will not seem so big.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Lawrence County is not far from Seymour. If you would like I would be happy to let you shoot my wife's PK380. I also have a Taurus 850 that she could try.

Ruger LCR .38 special, Taurus 85 .38 special, Walther PK380, Bersa Thunder 380 would all be easy for a smaller person withour a lot of hand strength to operate. All are affordable and readily available in or around Seymour. Just because it is a .380 don't assume it will be easy to operate and shoot. The very small .380 pistols can be a handful.

Just because a young lady is petite does not mean she needs a smaller gun. She really should have no problems with a service or medium sized 9mm like a Glock 19, M&P, or SR9. Practice, Practice, Practice.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    ... Stock springs are very stiff and the double action trigger is something like 15 pounds.

15 lbs!!!!!!!!! :poop: I have never experienced any gun with a 15 lbs trigger pull!!!!! My Kel-Tec .380 has about 6 - 7 lbs and is double action only.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I bought my wife the Bersa 380 Thunder Double Stack. She loves the gun, but she really doesn't have a lot of hand strength and has a bit of trouble chambering a round, but she's gotten much better at it. She's kind of a tiny thing.

If she still has not had a chance to shoot one, let me know. We're up in Martinsville. I probably could arrange to meet you somewhere with it.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    :+1:for all that offered the use of their guns. This is the best thing about gun owners. Try joining a Ferrari (or Chevelle) owner's forum and listen to the crickets when you ask to take a car for a test drive. Good luck in your search and great job raising a daughter who desires to protect herself when so many 19 year old females rely on others to do that.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I want to thank everybody who has offered their help. This last trip got busy and then my car went caput so we did not have time to take anybody up on their wonderful offers.

I pick her up on Dec 10th for Christmas break and I will probably take up some offers after that.

Thank-you again to all my friends that I have never met!

leedawg77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    I've actually had good luck with TULAMMO (Russian) from Cheaperthandirt.com. I am sure there are plenty on here that will bash it, but for practice and range it works. My Firestorm 380 (Bersa Thunder) has never jammed with it. $11.49/50 rounds is as cheap as you will find. Brown Bear (also Russian) is very similar, but harder to find in .380. You can also PM Cwood on here. He's got good prices for higher quality ammo.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I don't know where Lawrence County is (I could look it up I'm lazy and it's late). I have a Taurus 709 Slim which Indy Beerman mentioned earlier and a Taurus 738 which is their small .380. Your welcome to shoot em as much as you want. I'm a Portland, IN area resident but I can meet you somewhere if it is convenient.

Top Bottom