No doubt covered many times but.. Rounds Carried In Gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I feel quite comfortable with a revolver, even on duty. Since the merger there has yet to be a police action shooting with a handgun that would have required me to reload. As I state whenever this question comes up, I carry what I shoot best in the most likely scenarios that is in an acceptable caliber and round count. More ammo is better, but not at the expense of carrying a gun you are slower and/or less accurate with.

To quote myself in my guide for handgun selection:

How important is round count?

Different people are going to have an acceptable minimum, but based on no specific credible threat and an average exposure to random violence, a typical encounter will have you shooting 3 rounds or less. More rounds is psychological satisfying, as is the availability of a reload. One officer talked about how good it felt to have a fresh magazine to reload with after he put down two armed robbers in a restaurant where he was off duty with his family. Note that the encounter was over. The majority of stories you see are like this. "I only had two rounds left, WHAT IF there had been another one" or WHAT if he hadn't fled or WHAT IF, etc. etc. I have yet to come across someone who was unsuccessful in a self-defense attempt who had emptied their gun. Again, hundreds of people shot, not one had an empty gun. They were either unarmed, disarmed, or never got a chance to unholster.

Based on that, I put the floor at 5 rounds. More is better. Unless you are trying to swim or are on fire, you'll never regret having too much ammo, but round count alone should be of low value in your selection of a handgun for carry.

The following events are actual events and illustrate the typical encounter:

Anecdote #1:
    Victim approached by 3 armed suspects, victim attempts to draw his weapon, victim shot without getting the chance to fire, victim is presumably incapacitated and doesn't return fire, weapon found functional and fully loaded.
    Anecdote #2:
    Victim approached by armed suspect, victim draws weapon and fires one shot, striking suspect in head, kills suspect.
    Anecdote #3:
    Victim approached by armed suspect, victim draws and fires two shots, strikes suspect in abdomen with one, misses second shot, suspect flees. Victim later turns up at local hospital.
    Anecdote #4:
    Victim approached by two suspects, one of which is known to suspect to be a credible threat. Victim displays handgun in an attempt to discourage violence, unknown suspect shoots victim twice and flees. Victim retreats and doesn't return fire.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I think it up to the individual. As for me my minimum is 1 reload if its a 10+ capacity gun but if I have a snubbie or 1911 I have 2 reloads. I would hope I don't need a reload but better safe than sorry.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Big subject for me... I have big guns, little guns, 45, 9mm, 380, 22, and so on and so forth. I carry an LCP 90% of the time.... Why not me 45 with 8 rds or My CZ-75B with a whopping 19rd mag? "Both cocked n locked ".....its Because i can carry my LCP with any clothes i want, I can carry it when im at the gym when im riding my bike, when im playing basket ball or baseball with my son. Because the LCP can go anywhere i go and can run hike and not bee a chore to carry. i dont need a shoulder rig or a belt. or make any special accommodations for my weapon as i move from one activity to another. I carry it 24/7 and if i do carry a larger gun i carry this one for back up. Because the gun that stays with you is the one that will save your life.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i generally carry just a full mag, without reloading for one in the chamber - IE my g22 has a capacity of 15, so i carry 14+1. reason being, when i get home from whatever i'm doing, i might switch firearms, and i don't keep charged guns in my safe. loaded, but not charged.
    its a convenience matter not to chamber, reload, unload, clear chamber, etc.
    i do however usually keep a couple high capacity magazines in my truck.

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    My bersa 380 only carries 7+1 and I often carry another magazine with it but I don't see a problem with the gun. It fits me and I can shoot it really well.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I carry a STI Perfect 10 10mm with 21 + 1. 2 backup mags. I have always carried 2 reloads be it a 1911A1 in the 60's or my Officer's ACP through 2012. 1968 when uncle knocked on my door I learnt 2 mags was not enough. After 1975 I went back to 2 mags. I never want to get into a gunfight much less a firefight but I just feel better carrying as many rounds as possible in 2 reloads.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, I am getting a much better idea of the subject. Thanks to all who've posted so far. :rockwoot::ingo:

Much I hadn't considered t all has been brought up but it all seems to boil down to a persona preference... What is the caliber (not asked originally) and number of rounds both in the firearm and available to you to reload it that makes each of use feel comfortable when facing the unknown each day. Currently for me it is 22 rounds of 9mm. Eight in my LC9 (one in the pipe and seven in the magazine) with two extra magazine available to reload my pistol. This only covers my primary, I also carry at least one other handgun, usually my LCP which has another seven rounds of .32NAA an no reload magazines. Remember, I converted mine to .32NAA back a few years ago just after I bought it. There are times I also carry a S&W 6 shot .327 FM revolver on my ankle too, depends on the weather usually, again no reloads. So on a winter day I suppose it is more like 35 rounds total of the calibers already covered. :scratch: I think that is more than I really though I was comfortable with after all... :)

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    This subject has concerned me since I went micro a few yrs ago. 6+1 in a .32. Scoff as you like but I can tuck that thing in the waistband of a speedo and it's hidden. This spring I went to a .45 XDs as an EDC as wardrobe allows. 5+1 and frequently, a 7 in the pocket. I never expect a full out fight as I figure an armed "victim" frequently shortenes or ends a situation. I've gotten better at the double-tap with the dimenished grip so my hope is the 7 round is not needed.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I believe it was the late Paul Gomez that is quoted as saying "rounds in the gun equals time in the fight".

One of the big eye openers for me from force on force training is just how quickly violence happens, and how quickly one can expend 5 or 6 rounds. The question of "how many rounds should I carry" isn't as mathematically cut and dry and some want to make it out to be. Carrying twice as many rounds doesn't make you "twice as deadly" but it sure does buy you some precious time.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I believe it was the late Paul Gomez that is quoted as saying "rounds in the gun equals time in the fight".

One of the big eye openers for me from force on force training is just how quickly violence happens, and how quickly one can expend 5 or 6 rounds. The question of "how many rounds should I carry" isn't as mathematically cut and dry and some want to make it out to be. Carrying twice as many rounds doesn't make you "twice as deadly" but it sure does buy you some precious time.
    a very good point. I haven't had any of this sort of training, other than a number of paintball games, so maybe I should look into getting some...

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette

I'm not sure I agree with the opening quote but ok! I do believe that getting your first shot under control once a situation has developed becomes much more critical with fewer rounds. Perhaps that mindset would make for better preparation and performance.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    a very good point. I haven't had any of this sort of training, other than a number of paintball games, so maybe I should look into getting some...

It'd be great to see you in a class with us.

That being said, I'm sure from playing paintball you understand the value of larger ammunition capacity. How long would you last if you had 10 paintballs? Your time "in the game" would surely be short.

I'm not sure I agree with the opening quote but ok! I do believe that getting your first shot under control once a situation has developed becomes much more critical with fewer rounds. Perhaps that mindset would make for better preparation and performance.

Your gunfight may only require 2 shots-- or it may require more. We won't know. While everything in handguns is a compromise, I like to stack the odds in my favor whenever possible. For some that may mean carrying 150 rounds on their person. Ultimately its a personal choice that should be made thoughtfully with respect to risk management.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I think I should have put the paintball reference in purple, I know it isn't anything relatable and when I am able I will be in contact for training. :cool:

I am disabled, usually need a cane to keep from falling when walking a lot if that changes things....

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Sorry, if you're willing to call 150 rounds "risk management" then I'll have to assume you live somewhere really ugly or simply appreciate paranoia for its marketability. The "what-ifs" are endless without reason and reason presumes (different than assumes) that we're discussing normal everday functions in a rural to urban area. If anyone has need of 150 rounds to keep themselves calm "reasonably" sure of handling a surprise threat in this sort of environment, they brought the wrong weapon. What you're stretching the OP's point into is a discussion of an urban combat zone.

Now, if you happen to carry full size and high-cap with a reload or 2 and end up with 50ish, that I can understand. That can fall under equipment failure of a mag and still have one reload available.

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    some folks need the high capacity mags to have a better chance of hitting the barn;)

My concern is how many of those people are LEO. Seriously, I don't want to knock any ones choices but we're not talking about a normal person who wants to level or tilt the playing field in their favor in the event they happen to be targeted by an opportunist. This is not the next sequel to Death Wish and reasonable stops shy of what a person "may" do if they wish.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Sorry, if you're willing to call 150 rounds "risk management" then I'll have to assume you live somewhere really ugly or simply appreciate paranoia for its marketability. The "what-ifs" are endless without reason and reason presumes (different than assumes) that we're discussing normal everday functions in a rural to urban area. If anyone has need of 150 rounds to keep themselves calm "reasonably" sure of handling a surprise threat in this sort of environment, they brought the wrong weapon. What you're stretching the OP's point into is a discussion of an urban combat zone.

I think you took one sentence and ran with it while disregarding the rest, because I agree with just about everything you've said above. My point with the example is that it's a personal choice, and your threat risk may look vastly different than someone else's. There isn't a cookie-cutter answer to the OP's question. I wasn't suggesting you should strap on 150 rounds to mow the grass.

Now, if you happen to carry full size and high-cap with a reload or 2 and end up with 50ish, that I can understand. That can fall under equipment failure of a mag and still have one reload available.

My norm is a full-size gun with 1 reload.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Which was why I said my LTCH didn't deputize me so I am not out there looking to stop all crime.
    Just looking to avoid it and if I can't I want to have enough of an edge to either stop the attack or be able to get away from the attackers. :)

Top Bottom