• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Has anyone ever read "The Unabridged Second Amendment"? by J. Neil Schulman? It's a small piece written around an interview with a world renowned expert on English language usage.

I'm repping you for this post. Just looked up that article and thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated reading it. Thanks.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    [FONT=Arial, serif]I was told to do my homework when I said that when I said that gun crime goes up when guns are outlawed. I was not trying to be controversial, just stating facts that I had read from pretty reliable sources. It took me a while to find the references which I had read.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, serif]I was not saying that people will not pick up a knife or use a bat, to commit a crime. Those types of crimes exist in all areas already, even where gun ownership is lawful and well represented. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, serif]Point that I was trying to make is that whereas LIBERALS believe that outlawing guns will stop gun violence but, gun violence actually rises. Why?[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, serif]First, criminals are more apt to commit crimes where victims do not have the means to resist. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, serif]Second, by definition, only [/FONT][FONT=Arial, serif]criminals have guns[/FONT][FONT=Arial, serif], and, will continue to, or begin to use guns in the commission of their crimes.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, serif]I believe I mentioned England, Australia and Chicago as examples. The following are short excerpts quoted with reference to and full acknowledgement of the authors. [/FONT]
    ENGLAND

This excerpt from Guy Smith www.gunfacts.comGUN FACTS V5.0,p 10, also linked at JPFO.org

Handgun homicides in England and Wales reached an all-time high in 2000, years after a virtual ban on private handgun ownership. More than 3,000 crimes involving handguns were recorded in 1999-2000, including the 42 homicides, 310 cases of attempted murder, 2,561 robberies and 204 burglaries.”

Handguns were used in 3,685 offenses in 2000 compared with 2,648 in 1997, an increase of 40%.It is interesting tonote:
    • Of the 20 areas with the lowest number of legal firearms, 10 had an above average level of “gun crime.”
    • Of the 20 areas with the highest levels of legal guns, only 2 had armed crime levels above the average.”

AUSTRALIA

A quote from Paul Harvey I received this in an e mail so I don’t have a web link this is a much longer article about gun registration and confiscation. I have excerpted two sentences here.
    “[FONT=Arial, serif]In [/FONT][FONT=Arial, serif]Australia’s state of Victoria[/FONT][FONT=Arial, serif], [/FONT][FONT=Arial, serif]homicides with firearms are up 300%[/FONT][FONT=Arial, serif]! Over the previous 25 years, figures show a steady decrease in armed robberies and Australian politicians are on the spot and at a loss to explain how no improvement in “safety” have been observed after such monumental effort and expense was successfully expended in "ridding society of guns." [/FONT]
    “[FONT=Arial, serif]It's time to state it plainly; Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives, protect children and property and, yes, gun-control laws only affect the law-abiding citizens.”

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, serif]CHICAGO[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, serif]All you have to do is look at this one in the prospective that it has nearly no residents with the ability to legally carry or even protect their own homes with firearms, but remains the murder capital of the world.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, serif]After Loughner shot up the town hall meeting in Arizona, I looked up the statistics for gun crimes in Arizona and Chicago and not surprisingly found that year for year gun crimes in the city of Chicago ( no concealed carry permits issued unless you are connected) and in the state of Arizona (no need for a concealed carry permit) run just about even. If my memory serves me correctly there actually were a few more in the state of Arizona than in the city of Chicago. In 2009 the last year that complete statistics were available. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, serif]Please believe me that I am not trying to put anyone in their place. If your feelings are hurt, I apologize in advance.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, serif]:(
    [/FONT]

And rep to you for actually coming back with your sources.

Top Bottom