No alcohol or Diet coke for a month - can I do it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Grab your camera and take a pic of yourself (just a head shot) and wait two "Diet Coke free" weeks and take another. You will be amazed at the difference.

I had a friend of mine who looked tired...she stopped drinking diet and I saw her a week later and it was amazing the difference. It is shocking that something so simple could do so much damage to your insides.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    hey-you-can-do-it.jpg

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I did that for about 45 days then fell off the wagon. I only drank water and unsweet tea. I lost a little weight, but man I was "moving" like Jamie Lee Curtis. Holy Crap ;)

I am going to start that again now that its a new year and I am going to start day shift for the first time in 13 years!

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    I'm about to drop caffeine again too, so I am rooting for you! When I do this I get hit pretty hard with withdrawal. I'd recommend you started on a Friday so you had the weekend to sleep off the intense headaches. Wow, I sound like a total junkie saying that...but I just love Diet Dr Pepper.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Ok, Day 4. I'm realizing Diet Coke doesn't offer me much more than satisfying a desire. I'm no more tired an hour after I wake up without it than when I'd have one. I'm drinking a lot more water now which is great. My wife said my face looks skinnier but I think she had ulterior motives.

All the people who say "I can't function without my morning coffee" now make me snicker. I feel better but don't quite look like Daniel Craig yet. Maybe if I dye my hair...

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Aspartame Side Effects

Eye
    blindness in one or both eyes
    decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
    pain in one or both eyes
    decreased tears
    trouble with contact lenses
    bulging eyes

Ear
    tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound
    severe intolerance of noise
    marked hearing impairment

Neurologic
    epileptic seizures
    headaches, migraines and (some severe)
    dizziness, unsteadiness, both
    confusion, memory loss, both
    severe drowsiness and sleepiness
    paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
    severe slurring of speech
    severe hyperactivity and restless legs
    atypical facial pain
    severe tremors

Psychological/Psychiatric
    severe depression
    irritability
    aggression
    anxiety
    personality changes
    insomnia
    phobias

Chest
    palpitations, tachycardia
    shortness of breath
    recent high blood pressure

Gastrointestinal
    nausea
    diarrhea, sometimes with blood in stools
    abdominal pain
    pain when swallowing

Skin and Allergies
    itching without a rash
    lip and mouth reactions
    hives
    aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma

Endocrine and Metabolic
    loss of control of diabetes
    menstrual changes
    marked thinning or loss of hair
    marked weight loss
    gradual weight gain
    aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
    severe PMS

Other
    frequency of voiding and burning during urination
    excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating
    increased susceptibility to infection

Additional Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity include the most critical symptoms of all
    death
    irreversible brain damage
    birth defects, including mental retardation
    peptic ulcers
    aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
    hyperactivity in children
    severe depression
    aggressive behavior
    suicidal tendencies

Aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause the following illnesses:
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Epstein-Barr
    Post-Polio Syndrome
    Lyme Disease
    Grave’s Disease
    Meniere’s Disease
    Alzheimer’s Disease
    ALS
    Epilepsy
    Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
    EMS
    Hypothyroidism
    Mercury sensitivity from Amalgam fillings
    Fibromyalgia
    Lupus
    non-Hodgkins
    Lymphoma
    Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Thanks for refuting that indy_guy. The Wikipedia actually seems very well done.

I'll admit it, the main reason I stopped was my post-polio syndrome it would cause when I drank it :). I hoped "low-T" was on the list, oh well...

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    BUT the references contained here ARE legitimate and trustworthy.
    The FDA? Legitimate and trustworthy?

The reason Aspartame got FDA approval is in 1981, is that the CEO of Searle used his considerable political connections to make it happen. His name is Donald Rumsfeld, who had already served as White House Chief of Staff at the time. Today the FDA is more bought-and-paid-for than ever. Right now the FDA is headed by a Vice President of the Monsanto Corporation (which bought Searle in 1985).

The chemicals you are drinking are there because of money and crony politics. Not health or safety. :twocents:

Best of luck to all those giving up soda. Your car will run better without all that artificial sugar poured into your gas tank.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Today is day 6. Still doing OK. I do notice people sitting next to me drinking diet coke and have to smile. I feel like a smoker who just quit and doesn't want to be around it. I was nearly slammed into with a pushcart full of diet coke at the hospital 2 days ago too. No headaches, feeling fine. I did give up on the beer/alcohol thing since we went to Spank and the hot tub afterwards. Both of those require a drink.

I talked to a friend who admitted a mountain few consumption issue that I wasn't aware of. Let me help bring awareness to BigCola and the CarboCaffeinatedCanComplex and their hold over us.

newgunguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    delaware county
    my wife and I have been vegan since the first of the year, 3 week trial, not bad but I can't wait till the 23rd, gonna have a steak to celebrate, so far lost 7 lbs

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Thanks for refuting that indy_guy. The Wikipedia actually seems very well done.

I'll admit it, the main reason I stopped was my post-polio syndrome it would cause when I drank it :). I hoped "low-T" was on the list, oh well...

I'm at the point where Rambone posts "information" I figure it's pretty safe to assume the opposite. Of course that's on topics where I don't really care, but considering that on the topics I do care about or have a good bit of background in this policy has worked remarkably well.

I'm holding at 3 cans a day of the dt. dew, but I'm fighting hard to drop it down to 1-2. The psychological bit is the hardest.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The hardest part for me was losing the "bite." You get used to a good cola burn/bite when you're having a soda with dinner and switching to tea took some getting used to. I would sit down with dinner and take a big swig and think "ugh it's flat" before realizing it was tea.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm at the point where Rambone posts "information" I figure it's pretty safe to assume the opposite. Of course that's on topics where I don't really care, but considering that on the topics I do care about or have a good bit of background in this policy has worked remarkably well.

You too, huh?

My intake today was cut back a considerable amount. I didn't purchase my semi-regular soda at the gas station this morning.

Just 1 can of Diet Dr. Pepper when I got to my desk, and one can of Pepsi Max with my lunch.

Now it's time for a 24-oz bottle of water flavored with some Hawaiian Punch sugar free water flavoring stuff. Grape today.

The tap water here at work is gross. Aftertaste tastes like pennies. :n00b: No water cooler available.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It seems odd, but my heartburn is worse it seems since stopping the diet coke. I yawned a LOT the first two days since stopping it but that's pretty much stopped. I still can't do more than 10 one-handed pull ups but I do feel healthier.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It seems odd, but my heartburn is worse it seems since stopping the diet coke. I yawned a LOT the first two days since stopping it but that's pretty much stopped. I still can't do more than 10 one-handed pull ups but I do feel healthier.

Try seltzer / soda water? Maybe just the bubblies will help with HB?

Eh, look who I'm giving "medical advice" to. :rofl:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    9 days in, don't miss it at all. I drank some apple juice today for the first time in a year. That was pretty tasty. Mmmm....

I have noticed my teeth are less sensitive to cold sensations

Ginger89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    The biggest hurdle for me with pop was the headaches being hungry all the time. After about a week you over come it and your fine. Alcohol is no issue for me I go 6 months plus without having a single drop.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom