• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • strong89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    just read a small article about nissan coming out with a cummins 5.0L V8 diesel in the titan... sounds like it might be good. how bout caterpillar do something like that with who? oh and the cummins will have 500's ft lbs of torque and 300 ish horsepower....

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm not in the market for a new truck, but I'd like to see what they bring to the platform.

A 5 liter v8 diesel vs their already superior 6.7 liter i6 ?

Cummins won't be making any friends at Fiat with that deal.

cagilber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    As a Cummins employee I see this as a great opportunity for the company to expand it's portfolio, but I'm worried that the Nissan Truck/Van business doesn't have the volumes to support the kind of production the factory here in town will put out. It will be interesting to see what new partnerships this brings about and if Dodge will be willing to ditch it's small foreign diesel for another Cummins. Sales of the Fiat engine will probably help drive this as a lot of people say they buy the Ram 2500 not because of the Dodge, but because of the Cummins.

This also marks the first "V" engine for Cummins as all the other engines are inline. I'm curious if they are still developing the V-6 version. It would be cool if this eventually led to the development of an even smaller passenger car diesel engine, but I'm not holding my breath.

I wouldn't expect CAT to ever produce an engine for the consumer truck market as their focus is on very large engines. They aren't even making 15L on-highway engines anymore.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm not in the market for a new truck, but I'd like to see what they bring to the platform.

A 5 liter v8 diesel vs their already superior 6.7 liter i6 ?

Cummins won't be making any friends at Fiat with that deal.

Superior would be a relative term here... superior to what? The predecessor (5.9L)? That is arguable.

FWIW, my brother's 06 Dodge with 5.9L got 24 mpg highway (verified), his 07 Dodge 6.7 gets around 15 mpg highway (verified). That is NOT superior in my opinion... so it all depends what criteria you are judging and what you are judging again...

Also, I would like to see more consumer diesel engines out there. As a matter of fact, dissatisfied with current domestic auto-maker offerings of a diesel powered commuter car, I think my replacement vehicle in 7 or 8 years (when mine will probably need replaced) will quite possibly be a nice, used BMW diesel (335D probably)...

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Small diesels are attractive to me also. I rarely see a used VW Golf or Jetta diesel for sale and BMW's are already rare as anything else with a small diesel. Hopefully more will come to market.

The 5.9 is still pretty sought after with tuners, but not in the same class. You can't even get a new 5.9 so why even incclude it?

I've got the '07 6.7 and have driven the contemporary Ford/Powerstroke amd GM/Allison offerings extensively. I'm truly not blowing smoke out of my ass. When you plunk down your own money for something like this you will tend to research deep into it.

I've not done any deletes or mods to my powertrain (yet), but all indications lead me to believe it will only make it a better performing truck.

What will make the 5.0 V8 so attractive is yet to be seen. But I'm excited to see it.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    OK, I'll throw my two cents !! First off I don't like the diesel engines with DPF, EGR, & CAT, When I bought my then new 2008 F-250 with the 6.4, i didn't like getting 10 to 12 MPG in the city, so I had the DPF, EGR, & CAT deletes done with the tuner set at only +80HP & my truck is an animal. The tuners for deletes are banned, so i won't be buying no new diesel

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Small diesels are attractive to me also. I rarely see a used VW Golf or Jetta diesel for sale and BMW's are already rare as anything else with a small diesel. Hopefully more will come to market.

The 5.9 is still pretty sought after with tuners, but not in the same class. You can't even get a new 5.9 so why even incclude it?

I've got the '07 6.7 and have driven the contemporary Ford/Powerstroke amd GM/Allison offerings extensively. I'm truly not blowing smoke out of my ass. When you plunk down your own money for something like this you will tend to research deep into it.

I've not done any deletes or mods to my powertrain (yet), but all indications lead me to believe it will only make it a better performing truck.

What will make the 5.0 V8 so attractive is yet to be seen. But I'm excited to see it.

I didn't say you were blowing smoke, just trying to pin down the referrence point for you comment that the 6.7 is superior. Superior to what? All engines known to man?

I like Cummins (the engines, I personally think their HR people are a bunch of clueless buffoons) and have nothing against 6.7L but I wouldn't necessarily call it superior in some respects, especially compared to it's predecessor.

Do you get where I'm coming from? To call something superior you have to have a reference point that you're comparing it to. I'm trying to understand what that reference point is.

cagilber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    :dunno: First things that come to my mind are the 903 and VTA28 when I think V type Cummins engines.

It came out wrong. Meant to say for modern road applications not big generators/boats/bradley tanks.

This one doesn't count either...
    v4r4.jpg

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Must say that it will be good to see exhaust coming out of the stacks at the test block again! And as far as Fiat is concerned, p... in their spaghetti. They had their chance to put this engine in the Dodge 1500 and decided to use their own engine - or is it a VMI Motori? Either way, a plague on their house.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How does the truck itself stack up? Are they made well?

Yes, very much so. Nissan builds a good truck, but the 5.6 gas engine/5 speed auto drivetrain is stale. It was good when it came out, but with the numbers Ford's current 5.0 and Ram's 5.7 put out, combined with better fuel economy, have left it in desperate need of being freshened up. The truck itself is built solidly and they are very dependable.

I looked at one when I bought my '12 Ram, but didn't like the short bed on the few they had left in stock and the 3mpg less fuel economy for less power killed it.

Top Bottom