• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcap412

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Greenwood,IN
    I have a WMD one i got on the cheap, and it's nice and easy to clean. But it's not enough to dump the other two bolts I've got either. As long as is well made from the start it doesn't matter.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm not the most tech savvy guy when it comes to AR's, but are the full auto versions BCG's ok to use on the average rifle or not ? Reason I ask is that I asked this same question from a friend of mine and he said it was a no go...yet I see these quite often on sale.

It's fine.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I'm not the most tech savvy guy when it comes to AR's, but are the full auto versions BCG's ok to use on the average rifle or not ? Reason I ask is that I asked this same question from a friend of mine and he said it was a no go...yet I see these quite often on sale.
    Go to go... Every factory ar and complete upper I've ever had came with a full auto bolt.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I bought a black nitride coated BCG once, lo and behold it has a laser etched 'Colt' marking - an obvious fake of dubious origin, coating, and composition. Gun show Folt, worth the price (125) to relearn:

buy genuine mil spec parts from a known good manufacturer. Hype. Phosphate is fine. Colt or BCM.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Nickel Boron has a much lower coefficient of friction because of it's high lubricity. It's been used in the aerospace industry for years. Now that the prices have come down over what they were, they're most definitely worth it. Even with all the hype about "running them dry", I still lubricate as normal. Cleaning is effortless. Notice how all the claims of "hype" are coming from the people who don't use them.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    So everything that isn't necessary for the gun to function correctly is hype. Got it.

yea, that's what I said. :rolleyes:
    I guess if you want to couch it that way, I'll say anything that costs more w. no added benefit is hype.

The only possible real benefit of these bolts/carriers is if you are OCD about cleaning and think you need to be able to eat off it when you are done, then maybe it's worth some cost to satisfy those ocd tendancies. what else am I getting for the $ over a standard bcg? what other problem does it cure? how does it help me shoot better? I guess if my wallet is lighter I can maneuver faster...

-rvb

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Like the concept, but before I buy in, a question: Has anyone that used NiB had any issues with lube migrating to places it didn't need to go? I noticed on a friend's carrier that CLP wouldn't "stay around", would bead up and flow off. Maybe a lube with a tackifier?

It's probably a non-issue with NiB lubricity, but I want to think of NiB as a supplemental lube, a back up, rather than a primary lube source.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    yea, that's what I said. :rolleyes:
    I guess if you want to couch it that way, I'll say anything that costs more w. no added benefit is hype.

-rvb

added benefit in whose little book of value? Perhaps some people DO see a benefit in faster, easier cleaning? No, probably not, it's just hype. These "is it worth it" threads are tailor-made for value decisions that everyone has to make for themselves. For me, if I can pay a few extra bucks to have a cleaner gun with less of my time spent on cleaning, that's an easy decision.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    added benefit in whose little book of value? Perhaps some people DO see a benefit in faster, easier cleaning? No, probably not, it's just hype. These "is it worth it" threads are tailor-made for value decisions that everyone has to make for themselves. For me, if I can pay a few extra bucks to have a cleaner gun with less of my time spent on cleaning, that's an easy decision.

+1 Works perfectly fine in my 300blk AR. Very smooth surface on the BCG to the point its almost slippery. Cleaning is effortless. Worth $10-$20 more? Heck yeah!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I like how you edited out the part where I said some people might see value in easier cleaning so you could argue with me that some people might see value in easier cleaning...

-rvb
    Oy.

ok, you think it's hype, I think it's worth the extra money. I'm wasting more time in this thread than I ever intended to, and I think I'll go clean an ar to eating levels of cleanliness.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    HYPE*** For more than 50 years Colt and FN have been building M16's and M16 parts and if it worked, They would have changed years and years ago.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Two keys for an AR to run reliably are to keep it moderately clean and well lubricated. If I can augment that by coating the BCG in nickel boron, I don't see how that is "hype". Is it worth the extra money over a standard on? That's up to the individual buying it.

Whoops, sorry. I just brought common sense to an internet forum.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    With your logic...they should have never modded and come up with the A2 and M4... :rolleyes:

I don't understand how you came up with that response.... Lots and Lots and Lots of upgrades have been done to the M16 in the last 50 years.
    And like I said if coating the bolt was worthy, it would have been done long long ago. Like I said the two largest manufacters of M16's and M16 parts don't do it.. there is a reason and the reason is, Its not needed.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I prefer Bravo Company BCG's, but my WMD NiB is nice too. I don't "eat off of them," but the NiB is easier to clean. That said, you can't beat BCM's record/reputation, so it's my 1st choice.

Top Bottom