• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Well, hopefully now somebody will be watching the non-calls and actually doing something about it. Hey, wait a minute... If they do that, then what the hell are we gonna have to ***** about on Monday mornings?? :):

Trust me when I say they've left a lot to be hidden and controlled. Rules and laws are only relevant if you're caught. edit: OR CHARGED

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Unless they change how many challenges each coach gets, it won't change how long the games are. I think it is a good change.

I have long thought that coaches be given a number of challenges and the ability to challenge anything. No more automatic challenges, no booth challenges, just a specific number of coaches challenges that they keep if they are correct challenges. That place the burden of not wasting them on the coaches and if out when a big play happens, tough cookies..

It always was unfair that a fumble was automatically reviewed but not a fumble that was not called...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Seriously.......The officiating is almost always on the PATS SIDE of the ball. Yes I am a hater but I know whats what and see as well as anyone. Yes they have a lot going for them but they are also a shady bunch.

Why? Why would the officials favor the pats over every other team? For that to be true, it would have to go all the way to the top. Why would Goodell go so hard after the pats for deflategate while secretly working to make sure they win? I mean. What’s the angle? Who has what to gain?

Probably the explanation which doesn’t require too many assumptions is true.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why? Why would the officials favor the pats over every other team? For that to be true, it would have to go all the way to the top. Why would Goodell go so hard after the pats for deflategate while secretly working to make sure they win? I mean. What’s the angle? Who has what to gain?

Probably the explanation which doesn’t require too many assumptions is true.

See it as you will. The "All the way to the Top" thing is deeper than you might know. Not just the NFL but across the board. Electronics/communications have aided in this.
    I see the plays. I see the calls or lack thereof. This is a thing. When the talking heads in the booth see it and comment it is not imaginary.

Goodell had to take action. There is a long list of rules breaking by that organization. Deflate gate was just one of many and brought the anger of the public.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Bradshaw’s got 4 rings and he’s NEVER brought up as one of the goat’s. It’s a team sport. Clearly the Patriots dynasty over the past two decades might be the greatest accomplishment in any professional sport, but we’re talking about the qb position.

Bill Russell’s got 11 freakin rings but it’s always Jordan as the goat. So clearly championships isn’t everything.
    Bradshaw isn’t in the discussion of who’s GOAT, simply because he isn’t. His arm is better than Brady’s, for sure. Dude could throw the ball 70 yards in the air, and still hit his receiver in stride. I’m not making the case that Brady is GOAT only because of his championships. It’s the full package. Stats, MVPs, Championships, all of it.

Bill Russell DOES belong in the conversation of who is GOAT in the NBA. It’s typically MJ, now, because people weren’t around to see how Bill Russell dominated the game back then.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    See it as you will. The "All the way to the Top" thing is deeper than you might know. Not just the NFL but across the board. Electronics/communications have aided in this.
    I see the plays. I see the calls or lack thereof. This is a thing. When the talking heads in the booth see it and comment it is not imaginary.

Goodell had to take action. There is a long list of rules breaking by that organization. Deflate gate was just one of many and brought the anger of the public.

I think the most believable thing is the thing which requires the fewest assumptions. Deeper than I might know? Just how deep do you actually know? Or is that an assumption? Can you test it? Or do you just have to believe that it goes as deep as your perception requires?

I mean no disrespect. I’ve made my point. I just wanted to push back on facts vs assumptions. I’ll not push anything further.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think the most believable thing is the thing which requires the fewest assumptions. Deeper than I might know? Just how deep do you actually know? Or is that an assumption? Can you test it? Or do you just have to believe that it goes as deep as your perception requires?

I mean no disrespect. I’ve made my point. I just wanted to push back on facts vs assumptions. I’ll not push anything further.

None taken as I have a lot of respect for your insights/pinions.

OK. I have seen and experienced this in the professional racing sports. 1st hand. Manipulations from "ON HIGH" to set the course of the series. The onset of the electronic control age has made this possible. It is not hard or a stretch to see this in any major sport when money and control is the key. The officials are hot linked to New York. The booth reviews that are obviously tainted. Market share people.
    Add to this my nephew went to College and played football with a young man that eventually was drafted by the Patriots. My nephew (and this young man) both tried out at Kansas City but neither made the cut. I have a pic somewhere of them both in KC garb. That young man owns a home here in Indy. He now plays for the 49's as he was injured and cut loose by the pats. I taught this young man to shoot hand gun and he owns 2 of my custom 1911's. He and I have had some serious discussions on this topic. I do not run solely on assumption.

No, I am not a tin foil hat wearing/voices hearing nut job. Just a realist. Again, I really enjoy and respect your positions on many topics. This one I have seen through my own eyes. To watch objectively it is pretty obvious that like the Bulls the Pats get the benefit of the doubt more often than not. When the Colts would play them we had to not only beat the team but also the officiating.

Does this take away from Brady's ability's.......Nope. But it does put a smudge on things JMHO.

I cant locate the pic I mentioned but this is my Nephew. That is my spouse. She is 5'11" tall. Just for reference.

Er9sP0Z.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well that’s my opinion on Brady. IMHO, he just isn’t.

If I'm going to have an opinion, I'd rather have one based on some facts. Bradshaw isn't in the discussion for objective reasons. His stats just aren't at that level, but I would put Bradshaw in the top 10 all time. He was a great QB. Objectively, given Brady's accomplishments, and stats, if he's not the GOAT, he's objectively at that level.

And I get the hate thing. I really REALLY hate Aaron Rogers. But I have to admit that he's a great QB, and if he were traded to a team I really like, I'd probably stop hating him so much. I probably hate Aaron Rogers because I really REALLY hate the Packers. One of my favorite things in the world is to see Aaron Rogers get sacked and fumble.

Now, about the discussion of performance enhancers, yeah, that belongs on the table. I don't think Brady has an over the top performance compared to those who've been caught taking them. I mean, look at Barry Bonds. He quickly turned from the skinny player he was at Pittsburgh to the bulky powerhouse home run king he was at SF in a few short years. That one seemed like a no brainier.

Brady's performance is impressive for a guy that old, but it's not over the top. Most of the games I saw him play in 2018, he was pretty meh. He was 10th in QB rating in 2018. But, he's in the top 10 after age 40. That's not all that normal. I'm not sure if Favre was in the top 10 after 40, and he was another rare one to play at a high level when most people would be too old to be effective. It doesn't mean Brady (or Favre) is taking performance enhancers, but it is a legitimate part of the discussion. I would be disappointed but not shocked to find out if Brady were taking them.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

A few questions:

How can you even watch and enjoy the NFL if you believe it rigged? The NFL, while secretive is the most covered and open sports league I know of.

So these highly competitive billionaires are in agreement that the hated Pats get preferential treatment?

How does NE winning all the time benefit the NFL?

To your point on officiating, I now believe Belichick either invented or was the first to successfully implement the defensive holding by the defense on every play that matters, knowing they will never call it every time. It was employed vs the Colts from early on and was the source of frustration for the team and fans alike. I am not implying they did not also have good schemes and athletes but that strategy seems a better answer than a conspiracy to me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A few questions:

How can you even watch and enjoy the NFL if you believe it rigged? The NFL, while secretive is the most covered and open sports league I know of.

So these highly competitive billionaires are in agreement that the hated Pats get preferential treatment?

How does NE winning all the time benefit the NFL?

To your point on officiating, I now believe Belichick either invented or was the first to successfully implement the defensive holding by the defense on every play that matters, knowing they will never call it every time. It was employed vs the Colts from early on and was the source of frustration for the team and fans alike. I am not implying they did not also have good schemes and athletes but that strategy seems a better answer than a conspiracy to me.

I do not watch the NFL much anymore per-say. I will watch parts of a Colts game if they are actually playing. We try and watch all of the playoffs. When the governing body's of the major racing organizations over manipulated them I stopped watching/participating and I am a dyed in the wool race fan or was. The same thing is happening in the NFL/NBA etc.

Just what you stated about holding is another thing that should be called but is all to often ignored. Yes there is holding somewhere on the field on every snap of the ball but the Patriots are blatant with it. Especially at home.
    Again, to assume that there is not back door dealings is OK if that is the way you want to see it. No knock on anyone's views or opinions in this thread.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It’s not an assumption that I’d ever make, that there are not backdoor dealings. Without sufficient evidence, it would be an assumption that there ARE. You don’t generally assume a negative. Rather, you act on evidence for a positive.

You can assume that backdoor deallings best explain the calls you think show a systemic favor for NE. But there are other reasons which would require fewer untestible assumptions overall. I mean. How donyou test the assumption that there are backdoor dealings? How do you test the assumption that the NFL wants NE to win? What I mean by that is the factual evidence that proves it one way or other.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It’s not an assumption that I’d ever make, that there are not backdoor dealings. Without sufficient evidence, it would be an assumption that there ARE. You don’t generally assume a negative. Rather, you act on evidence for a positive.

You can assume that backdoor deallings best explain the calls you think show a systemic favor for NE. But there are other reasons which would require fewer untestible assumptions overall. I mean. How donyou test the assumption that there are backdoor dealings? How do you test the assumption that the NFL wants NE to win? What I mean by that is the factual evidence that proves it one way or other.

OK I guess everything I have said is considered assumption. No worries.
    Good conversations. Carry on.....:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Do you have evidence that the things you’ve observed are because of back room deals? If not, that’s an assumption.

Not everything is a link sir. Some things are observed and lived. Conversations and direct involvement are sometimes all we have to go on. I have had both. Believe it or don't I do not care. In this I develop my opinions just as you and so many others do. Lets say manipulations. That is more in line with what I am saying. Yes, there are manipulations.

If we ever get to meet over a burger I will lay this out for you.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    If I'm going to have an opinion, I'd rather have one based on some facts. Bradshaw isn't in the discussion for objective reasons. His stats just aren't at that level, but I would put Bradshaw in the top 10 all time. He was a great QB. Objectively, given Brady's accomplishments, and stats, if he's not the GOAT, he's objectively at that level.

And I get the hate thing. I really REALLY hate Aaron Rogers. But I have to admit that he's a great QB, and if he were traded to a team I really like, I'd probably stop hating him so much. I probably hate Aaron Rogers because I really REALLY hate the Packers. One of my favorite things in the world is to see Aaron Rogers get sacked and fumble.

Now, about the discussion of performance enhancers, yeah, that belongs on the table. I don't think Brady has an over the top performance compared to those who've been caught taking them. I mean, look at Barry Bonds. He quickly turned from the skinny player he was at Pittsburgh to the bulky powerhouse home run king he was at SF in a few short years. That one seemed like a no brainier.

Brady's performance is impressive for a guy that old, but it's not over the top. Most of the games I saw him play in 2018, he was pretty meh. He was 10th in QB rating in 2018. But, he's in the top 10 after age 40. That's not all that normal. I'm not sure if Favre was in the top 10 after 40, and he was another rare one to play at a high level when most people would be too old to be effective. It doesn't mean Brady (or Favre) is taking performance enhancers, but it is a legitimate part of the discussion. I would be disappointed but not shocked to find out if Brady were taking them.

Factually, Manning changed the game of football. It wouldn’t be what it is today without Peyton Manning. The rule changes, the way running backs have been de-valued, the way GM’s mortgage their future to find “the one”. 20+ years ago you could with championships with a stout defense, a stud running back, and an average QB (see the 90’s Cowboys). You CANNOT do that today. The ‘18 Rams are the perfect example. Aaron Donald isn’t human, Todd Gurley is top tier, and they LOST. All of that is due in large part to the genius of Peyton Manning.

Tom Brady is easily one of the top 3 QB’s ever. He’s a great QB that was fortunate to get paired with probably the greatest coach ever, but does anybody remember the Matt Cassel season? They kept right on chugging without Tom Brady and went 11-5. There are plenty of QB’s with stats and rings: Brees, Rodgers, Favre.

Only one quarterback has ever won a Super Bowl with two different franchises: Peyton freakin Manning. And, factually, Manning has a better postseason record head-to-head against Brady.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not everything is a link sir. Some things are observed and lived. Conversations and direct involvement are sometimes all we have to go on. I have had both. Believe it or don't I do not care. In this I develop my opinions just as you and so many others do. Lets say manipulations. That is more in line with what I am saying. Yes, there are manipulations.

If we ever get to meet over a burger I will lay this out for you.

I’m not asking for links, or even for you to prove anything to me. I’m just saying that between competing hypotheses, the preferred one is the one that requires the fewest untestable assumptions. I’m not privy to the sources I would need to have to be able to test those assumptions. So for me they’re untestable.

But mostly, I’m just really happy for the invite. :)

Top Bottom