• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jbiggs556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    I built my first NFA weapon last year a 10.5" barreled AR. I of course had to get approval from local law enforcement, in my case this was the Porter county sheriff. I am moving from Porter County to Jasper County do I need to contact anyone in Jasper? Also am I required to notify the ATF? If this has been answered in another thread I apologize ahead of time. Thanks

Dave M

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Right here off the official Form 1:
    Change of Description or Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the description of the firearms in item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant.

Or off the Form 4:
    Change of Address: Unless currently licensed under the Gun Control Act, the registrant shall notify the NFA Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and
    Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the address in Item 2a.

So, no need to contact anyone in the new county. Yes, you need to notify the BATFE. If it's an in-state move, just send them a letter stating something like:

"This letter is to serve as notification that said XYZblahblah NFA items with serial numbers 1234blahblahblah are now located at [new address]"

Then you'll get a letter, at the new address from them stating that they've taken note etc etc.

For permanent moves out of state (or for most NFA interstate travel), you fill out one of these:
    http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5320-20.pdf

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I built my first NFA weapon last year a 10.5" barreled AR. I of course had to get approval from local law enforcement, in my case this was the Porter county sheriff. I am moving from Porter County to Jasper County do I need to contact anyone in Jasper? Also am I required to notify the ATF? If this has been answered in another thread I apologize ahead of time. Thanks

Just moved myself, in same county. Contacted BATF, they said still fill out 5320. Filled out & mailed 2.5 weeks ago, nothing yet. You'll need 2 copies.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just fyi, if the move is in-state there is no legal obligation to notify of the address change. The ATF requests that you do so, but there is no legal obligation.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Can you please post a supportive link or document? Thanks

It's hard to provide "proof" of something that isn't coded. That like saying, "provide proof that you can open carry in Indiana". The "proof" is that there is no law restricting it. Likewise, there is no "proof". But there are a number of ways you can find this information. One of them is to call the ATF and ask them. They will tell you that you are not required to notify if your move is only in-state. Out of state moves require a Form 20. This is common knowledge in the NFA/Title II community.

If you don't want to call the ATF you can read any number of the links here:Let me google that for you

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    As countryboy said, this isn't proof, but if you ask the NFA Branch how to notify them of an instate move, they will typically say submit a 5320.20. that form is specifically titled "Application to Transport Interstate ... " So they don't even have a form for intrastate moves. In the gov, that means it doesn't exist. haha.

Personally, I would notify NFA Branch and get an approved in-state 5320.20 and keep it with your stamps. Not because I really care if the NFRTR is up to date, but so that I don't get some well meaning but over ambitious LEO giving me hassle for not having the correct address, especially if they know just enough about gun laws to be dangerous (eg, by law you do only have so long to notify the state of a move for your carry permit)...

(I put silencers on the '20s for the same reasons. No real effort on my part.)

-rvb

Top Bottom