Newbie here needs advice on 22 LR rifles - for son as gift :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    I am currently researching and looking to buy a 22 long range rifle for my 14yr old son, as a Christmas gift. I have done a little looking around, and it doesn't appear a new one is in my price range. I am hearing a Ruger is the way to go - do you agree? Why or why not? Where should I be looking to pick one up that is used? I am located in central Indiana.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If you can go an extra $100, then the ruger 10/22 would get my vote for sure. Not sure how much success you'll have finding a rifle for $100. I was going to say buy him a cricket 22, but I see he's 14yrs old.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You won't be able to find anything modern for $100. You may be able to find an old single shot or even a tube-fed for that price. The Ruger 10/22 is often recommended (including by me). They are quality semi-autos that can last a lifetime and can be customized/upgraded over time. However, you will have a hard time finding one under $200. The Remington 597 is another good competitor (fewer dress-up options) that goes for roughly $170. Savage 64 (semi-auto) or Mk2 (bolt action) are other good alternatives in the $140-170 range. Good luck with your search.

By the way, you will also need to budget for ammo. Finally, I don't know what your or his background is, but you should think about training as well. Appleseed is excellent rifle training and very affordable, but not free.

Last edited:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I think the 10/22 would be better but I got my son a 702 Plinkster for not much more than that and it's been very reliable.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    With firearms, you get what you pay for, and $100 is a bit low for a 22 in my opinion unless you find a used one or a heck of a sale. I think they typically start around $150 new.

A Ruger 10/22 while not in that range, is probably one of the best values on the market. Its a solid gun, and if taken care of will be easily passed down to his kid.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    With a $100 budget you will be lucky to get ahold of a USED Marlin Model 60 (Semi-auto .22 rifle). Both the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin 60 are semi-auto .22 rifles and are fine .22 rifles. I have a Ruger 10/22 myself. Walmart and most Local Gun Shops will carry both. Ruger 10/22 are a little more expensive than the Marlin 60 in the used and new market. Your best bet for used is check ALL pawnshops that you can and see if you can wheel and deal with them for your budget. Stick cash in their face and you never know! Gunbroker.com which is similar to EBAY but it has guns up for auction is another possible solution but thats where you get into shipping costs and having a dealer do a transfer for you which can run in the neighborhood of $30 just for the transfer itself. The Marlin model 25 which is a bolt action could easily fall within your budget especially if one is found locally and they are fine rifles also.
    I am assuming you are confusing the "LR" in 22lr (which actually stands for long rifle) as "Long Range". A .22 is not really considered a long range rifle, even though most .22lr projectiles will travel up to a mile. They arent really intended to be used for shooting at targets a mile away. There comes alot of responsibility with ANY gun for both the 14yr old and you as well since you will be responsible for everything that happens when a .22 rifle is in the hands of a 14yr old young man.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I have a Ruger 10/22 I've had since I was a kid. My 14 yr old has one as well. I think they are a good choice, but out of your stated price range. Even used I think you'd find it difficult to find one anywhere near $100 that was destroyed.

And Ruger is not the only choice (though some would disagree).

Here are a couple current Armslist ads that get closer to your $100 range. I have no stake in any of them, nor can I vouch if they are good guns or not. Just what I found in a quick search. I would have liked to found some different manufacturer/model options, but this is what I came up with.

ARMSLIST - For Sale: Marlin Mod. 60, 22LR semi-auto

ARMSLIST - For Sale: Marlin model 60 22

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    Thank you everyone for your advice - I truly appreciate it :)

Not to worry on the responsibility piece , I am a handgun owner and have trained him up correctly regarding gun safety, I am just not familiar with rifles - or the correct lingo and/or abbreviations ;)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    To teach discipline, a bolt action is a good teaching rifle. With a semi-auto it is too easy for a young new shooter to just pull the trigger and really have no connection with the firearm. One of the best out there is the Savage MK-II, not that much more than your $100 hope for price, very accurate with or without scope and a great bolt action feel. Also easier for someone learning firearm safety to see the rifle is safe when the bolt is pulled back and left that way.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Let the flames start ... Dick's has a sale $20.00 off all guns priced from 139.00 - 339.00 .. I if they have a Marlin it may fall $10 short of your limit.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought a Savage model 64 Last Christmas for my grandson to shoot. While it is nothing fancy, it is solid, easy to operate, dependable and accurate. It was about $150.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 13, 2013
    South Side Indy
    Yes. Ruger 10/22 is the way to go, I've been shooting them since I was about ten and never had ant serious problems. I've seen a few on here not badly priced and frequently. Good luck and merry Christmas !!!

Top Bottom