• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I hope the DNR hires some good people to run WW range.(they used to have 2) There have been needed improvements to the shooting range, such as something to put your target on.That improved safety, before you had to bring your own stand, or put SOMETHING in the dirt to shoot at. The roof over the rifle(50YD) benches was welcomed. The shotgun range is greatly appreciated, it used to be a patch of weeds. If the DNR wants a greater level of safety,there should be 2 RSO's IMO. Where were the DNR when one man has to watch 3 ranges with 30-40 people at a time and more waiting in line? I don't know what's going on(our tax $). I love WW RANGE, and New Castle needs the dollars. If you're like me, you eat lunch or dinner after shooting, hunting, etc. Go to Rural King, WalMart for ammo,targets. I eat or shop 75% of the time I go to WW AT New Castle. I think the improvements are a positive sign(I hope)I also hope the East Central IN citizens realize the $ sportsmen bring in.

Last edited:

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    So what is going on with the person/company that is currently running it? A couple weeks ago there were signs up about the contract being terminated early?
    I don't think his contract was terminated, it will expire on 12-31-09. He said the monetary loss was to great to continue. The DNR is currently in the process of finding another consessionaire.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I hope the DNR hires some good people to run WW range.(they used to have 2) There have been needed improvements to the shooting range, such as something to put your target on.That improved safety, before you had to bring your own stand, or put SOMETHING in the dirt to shoot at. The roof over the rifle(50YD) benches was welcomed. The shotgun range is greatly appreciated. If the DNR wants a greater level of safety,there should be 2 RSO's IMO. Where were the DNR when one man has to watch 3 ranges with 30-40 people at a time and more waiting in line? I don't know what's going on(our tax $). I love WW RANGE, and New Castle needs the dollars. If you're like me, you eat lunch or dinner after shooting, hunting, etc. Go to Rural King, WalMart for ammo,targets. I eat or shop 75% of the time I go to WW AT New Castle. I think the improvements are a positive sign(I hope)I also hope the Central IN citizens realize the $ sportsmen bring in.

I concur with all of the above.
    WW may not be a new or fancy range, but I have always had a good time there and everyone is friendly.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I just hope it doesn't go to an Atterbury level of uptightness. One of the things I really enjoy about WW is how laid back and casual it is. The new guy is very good at putting a damper on peoples range trip.

Glockster1990

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    Yes i also got in trouble for Rapid fire. :D. Plus i had my gun holstered and locked back, i got in trouble for that too. I have to say i do not like this new guy. Then my dad was just loading the last few rounds in his hand while others were down range, me and him was talking strategy and talking about our grips with he was loading the mag away from gun and table and the gun said sir you need to have that magizne on the table and not touching anything while people are down range..........What ever i think i am going to join a FOP near me and go to them. My brothern laws a cop so ill be welcomed:ar15:

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I love WW RANGE, and New Castle needs the dollars. If you're like me, you eat lunch or dinner after shooting, hunting, etc. Go to Rural King, WalMart for ammo,targets. I eat or shop 75% of the time I go to WW AT New Castle. I think the improvements are a positive sign(I hope)I also hope the East Central IN citizens realize the $ sportsmen bring in.

I always stop for lunch at either the KFC buffet or Wendy's. I also have stopped at the CVS, WalMart, gas stations, and other businesses.

P.S The rapid fire incident took place when I took a newbie to the range & let him try my new AR 15. The guy just couldn't help himself. Even after he got scolded, my friend was grinning ear to ear. (it was precious.:D)

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I like to shoot at WW. We camp at Summit Lake just so I can spend the day shooting, while the wife and kids go to the beach. I to hope the SRO will be as personable as Don and Fred, they added to the friendly atmosphere that WW is famous for. I'll miss them. Good Luck guys!

Randy47360

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    They had hired two new guys, one of them quit after being on the range one day??
    The new guys were trained by the guy from Atterbury. You are right, he was uptight and strickly by the book. I hope that they keep it open. I was there last weekend and it seemed to be a little more layed back. I talked to someone that worked for the Wilbur Wright Wildlife Area and the replacement of personnel was about the brass that was supposed to be turned in. There are always things said after someone loses their job. I don't know, just what I was told. :dunno:

hntrdav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Madison county
    I don't know haven't been there since hunting season opened. Don was working for Rick who is always out there on Sundays delivering mice for medicine testing the last I heard.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Atterbury does a good job.

I just hope it doesn't go to an Atterbury level of uptightness.
    I have taken my wife to Atterbury quite a few times in the past 6 months. I don't consider it "uptightness" at all. We both appreciate the RO's help, and when they correct what we are doing, as well. We always re-read the range rules before shooting. Everyone seems friendly to me, and we always have a good time there. The place instills a level of confidence about safety that I, for one applaud. Good job, guys:yesway:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think if I were in the position of an RO and there were to be a stupid accident on the part of someone else not following the rules, I would have to carry that around the rest of my life.
    Not to mention the bad press for guns, the DNR bosses coming down on me, lawyers coming after me, and on and on.

The RO's are not power tripping. They're trying keep people they don't know anything about, safe.
    If they don't want you touching the bench or loading a mag when cold, do them the courtesy and wait. Same goes for packing up when cold.

It's simple: follow the rules. Don't act like the RO's are supposed to know how safe you are. They don't know about your vast experience and excellent safety record.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    all I know is that I need to get back up to WW...been too damn long. Need to feel some recoil and smell some burnt powder.

I don't care who's doing the RO thing. :yesway:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I think if I were in the position of an RO and there were to be a stupid accident on the part of someone else not following the rules, I would have to carry that around the rest of my life.
    Not to mention the bad press for guns, the DNR bosses coming down on me, lawyers coming after me, and on and on.

The RO's are not power tripping. They're trying keep people they don't know anything about, safe.
    If they don't want you touching the bench or loading a mag when cold, do them the courtesy and wait. Same goes for packing up when cold.

It's simple: follow the rules. Don't act like the RO's are supposed to know how safe you are. They don't know about your vast experience and excellent safety record.

The problem is when they enforce things that are not rules at that particular range. Especially when they're nonsensical rules like not loading a magazine when the range is cold or only carrying rifles muzzle up. I don't go to ranges that have silly rules and it sucks when an Atterbury guy comes to a range that doesn't have silly rules and enforces the silly rules. "Power tripping" is the only way to describe enforcing rules that aren't on the books.

Schafe said:
    I have taken my wife to Atterbury quite a few times in the past 6 months. I don't consider it "uptightness" at all. We both appreciate the RO's help, and when they correct what we are doing, as well. We always re-read the range rules before shooting. Everyone seems friendly to me, and we always have a good time there. The place instills a level of confidence about safety that I, for one applaud. Good job, guys.

Awesome. Some people prefer that kind of structure. It's just not for me.

Last edited:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    The problem is when they enforce things that are not rules at that particular range. Especially when they're nonsensical rules like not loading a magazine when the range is cold or only carrying rifles muzzle up. I don't go to ranges that have silly rules and it sucks when an Atterbury guy comes to a range that doesn't have silly rules and enforces the silly rules. "Power tripping" is the only way to describe enforcing rules that aren't on the books.

Awesome. Some people prefer that kind of structure. It's just not for me.

you misquoted me :D

Top Bottom