• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Since my primary carry for the last 15 years has been a Model 60 Smith, and given the choices you listed,I would have to go with the 4 .38's. It's retired now that I have my Bond in .45 Colt. So I guess my preferred choice, although not included in the original post, would be 2 rounds of .45 Colt. And on a side note, regardless of the motivation, I found the question to be an interesting one. Just my :twocents:.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I'm going to be the odd man in the crowd and go with 4 38 specials. Sure I could flame like everyone else but lets move this thing forward instead of backwards to a lock!

Also, is there a 15 22 shorts option?:D

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    So what if he's trying to get his 50 posts, we all were at one time or another (even when it was only 10), he asked a legit question that if you don't want to answer......read it and move on. He could have tried to get 49 +1's, at least it was thought out.

Personally I would take the 10 rounds of 22. To me it's more about shot placement than caliber and you can do a lot more damage with 10 rounds versus lower numbers of higher caliber. But that is just me and I would rather have 1 round than zero rounds. :dunno:

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I want 3 rounds of 9mm. Only because I don't own a .38, and I can't hit squat with my P22. My kids can out shoot me with the .22, but I'm pretty accurate with the 9mm.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    depends on the barrel length... and the twist rate of the barrel, and the type of ammo, but if i had the option of choosing any of that....
    i would choose four rounds for .38 plus P plus out of a 6 inch barrel.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Did Guns and Ammo ask to use one of your first 50 posts for its depth and originality? :rolleyes: Me neither. Give the guy a break, he has a thread that asks a question about calibers a little differently. If you don't like his premise,how about a battlefield pickup. Which one of his choices would you choose in that scenario. I choose the 4 .38 option.:draw:

Well said sir...I'd rep ya but I've given all of my quota of rep out already.

Lets not make this like AR15.com, where unless you have 5000+ posts you are immediately ignored, ridiculed, and harassed. It is especialy frustrating that a few very low post count folks immediately jumped on the "low post count" bandwagon.

I think the post was legit, and if it was just an attempt to get to 50 posts in, at least it was a good quality post. We were all new members once.

So, to the topic at hand...I'd go with quantity over quality, so 10 .22 rounds.

a) because I know I suck with a pistol, and will probably be even worse when in a pressure situation. I'm practicing a lot, but still have a way to go. I'm not a 1 shot 1 kill guy yet with a pistol, and need some back up shots.

b) if there are multiple agressors I can deal with more than 1 person

c) .22LR is lethal when properly placed (although see my item "a"), and will still inflict pain on a perp if it does hit them. If that was all I had, hopefully it would be enough to get me out of the situation and to safety, to where I could grab a more suitable weapon.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    First, WTH happens at 50 posts...? Do I win a prize? I hope its money...

Oh wait, I gain access to the coveted classifieds. That's even better than money. (Am I using a tone here? I hope I'm not implying a tone...)

Second, for those who didn't crap on the thread, it seems that, in THIS situation, you would be more apt to choose more rounds of a smaller caliber than less rounds of a larger caliber.

What does that mean...? :dunno:

This situation will probably never become a reality to those of us who carry because we all load up our mags to capacity. Some of us carry spare mags, etc. So the guys/gals with 8+ rounds of .45 are comfortable with that number while those of us (me included) who carry 15+ rounds of 9mm would prefer to do that.

I guess I was just tired of reading the same old debate about stopping power vs # of rounds vs shot placement and thought I would try to approach it from a different angle. That's all.

*And by-the-bye, this is the second thread I've read that's been jacked because of this classifieds BS. I've been a member since around May. I have 35 posts. Am I going to be harassed every time I leave a comment or start a thread? There is obviously animosity towards this 50 post rule because everyone brings it up when noobs like me try to participate in the forum.

Is my post redundant? Has this horse been beaten enough? Yes but I hate to break it to you, this won't be the last time this topic is discussed. That's because this is a FORUM (an online discussion site). So flame away fellow INGO forum members.

I'm so glad that this forum exists. It has opened up my world to firearms and personal defense. I can guarantee that if I had not stumbled upon this site several months ago, I would not have my permit today, and would be one of the sheep.

But from one INGO member to another(s) lighten up...

AJB :ingo:

*No, this is NOT directed at any member
    **Yes, I will look into creating polls...good call

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Well said sir, and Welcome aboard!:ingo:

Don't take the ribbing to hard, as there have been a lot of "One hit wonders" that have come through in recent months. Some have stayed and become contributors, some have hit the 50 post mark and spend all the time in the classifieds. Some have decided that they don't want to hang around and actually talk with us and have either left on their own, or been shown the door.

So, hopefully you stick around and add to the good conversation we have here.

I think you point is valid about the capacity. A lot of us do carry the largest capacity magazine made for the caliber we prefer. Revolver guys are somewhat limited, but even at that some make a caliber or gun decison based on if it will hold 5, 6, 7 or more rounds. Or, they become very proficient with speed loaders.

I know personally when we were looking for a gun for my wife, we new we wanted a double action revolver for simplicity in a stressful situation. We thought long an hard about a 7 or 9 shot .22, a 6 shot .32 H&R mag, or a more typical 5 shot .38 or .357. Anything of larger caliber was more than she wanted to handle.

We decided on a pretty typical 5 shot .38spl snubbie for her. Light weight and easy to conceal and carry, but still enough punch to do what it needs to do. We opted out of the .357mag because we thought it was going to be a bit more recoil than she wanted out of a 2" revolver.

Keep in mind that .38 is certainly a good caliber, but another factor is being able to use it. One or two large caliber bullets won't do much if you can't put them on target because the gun is more than the shooter can handle.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    For your defense, would you rather carry...

1 round of .45
    2 rounds of .40
    3 rounds of 9mm
    4 rounds of .38
    10 rounds of .22LR

Please do not add your own category. If you don't like your options, don't participate.

Personally, I feel more comfortable with multiple rounds but what say you?

AJB

Never mind. I should have just stuck with ignoring this thread.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    4 rounds of .38.
    I remember reading a thread on here once where a guy shot his attacker 14 times with a Marlin 60 in .22lr only to have the gun taken away from him and beaten to death with it.
    I'll go for the larger cal thanks.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    This is an interesting question. However, I'm having difficulty seeing the relevance. Here is why. Under the specific choices of the OP I would choose the four .38's. Yet, I'm having a hard time figuring out what that is supposed to tell me. Am I subconsciously a high capacity, small bullet fan. Doubtful. My answer would be completely different when we are talking standard capacities. When 8 (or 13) .45, 15 .40, 17 9mm, 6 .38 or 10 .22 are my options it will be .45 every time.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Of the given options, I would probably go with 10 rounds of 22. I'm much more likely to find myself in a mugging or robbery than a duel to the death, and I like my chances of scaring multiple attackers away with plenty of gunfire, even if the gunfire isn't likely to drop them where they stand. And if I am facing a single, determined attacker, well, aim for the neck and genitals, I guess.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    This is an interesting question. However, I'm having difficulty seeing the relevance. Here is why. Under the specific choices of the OP I would choose the four .38's. Yet, I'm having a hard time figuring out what that is supposed to tell me. Am I subconsciously a high capacity, small bullet fan. Doubtful. My answer would be completely different when we are talking standard capacities. When 8 (or 13) .45, 15 .40, 17 9mm, 6 .38 or 10 .22 are my options it will be .45 every time.

There is no relevance, it's just a hypothetical. If you choose 4 .38's then maybe that means your not as confident in .22 as a defense round because I give you 10 of those, but yet you don't feel like you could get the job done in 1 round of .45... you have chosen 4 .38's which seems like a good compromise between size and capacity.

I'm not implying you're not a good shot and I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone but that is my conclusion that I have drawn from your post.

So far, many respondents have chosen 10 rounds of .22. There is obviously some inherent feeling of safety when you have a larger capacity of rounds. But at what point does capacity become moot and caliber size take over? I would venture a guess that the size of the mag has something to do with it.

Again, I'm just trying to look at this from a different point of view...

AJB

Top Bottom