• Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I think it will be great!

Every reviewer out there has been blown away by this film!

The Coen Brothers are geniuses and Jeff Bridges is an AMAZING actor!

I think his Rooster Cogburn will be much more interesting than the "John Wayne with an Eye Patch" rendition from the first effort.

John Wayne was the Steven Seagal of his day. He was the same guy in every film. With Seagal it was the ponytail and the super-spy/ commmando back story. With John Wayne it was the tan vest and the big loop Winnie!

Although I did like the Duke in "The Shootist." Classic film!

I think if you haven't read the book, the original "True Grit" might seem pretty good.

Read the book, and then see if you think the Duke did it justice? I think the Coen Brothers will do for "True Grit" what they did for Cormac McCarthy's "No Country For Old Men."

Vanguard.45

bubajoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    The original version is going to be on Wednesday night, I haven't seen it but have the DVR set to record.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I have read the book and from what I have seen of the trailers, it appears the new movie follows the book more closely than the original. As an example, in the book, Rooster Cogburn carried a pair of '51 Navies in pommel holsters. In the original movie, John Wayne puts the reigns in his teeth and starts blazing away with his Peacemaker and big-loop '92 Winchester. From what little I have seen in the trailers, Jeff Bridges does the same thing except he has a pair of what appear to be percussion revolvers in his hands. I'm going to go see it. It looks like it will be a good movie.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Never really been much of a JW fan myself. Some of the movies are ok, but he always plays the exact same role.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This thread is full of fail. The DUKE was one of the greats.

I'm excited to see the new version. But there was only one DUKE, nobody will ever come close to him.

kinorton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The Coen Brothers are just great directors. The will do the book justice. The work well with Jeff Bridges. I believe it will be a great movie.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I am with Vanguard 45 fand Grimor. JW played the same person in each film UNTIL "The Shootist". I grew up with the Duke. Then I realized he stayed behind in WWII when guys like Lee Marvin were takin g hits on Saipan. A calculated move on Wayne's part. Want to see a great movie? Watch "The Professionals" with Marvin, Woody Strode, Burt Lancaster and RObert Ryan. Now that is a Western!!

I think the Coen Brothers and this new cast will finally put some GRIT into "True Grit"!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I just watched the original...I liked it a lot.

The Coen brothers are a couple of my favorite directors, so I think the remake will be just fine.

Jeff Bridges isn't John Wayne, but I have complete confidence that he will do a great job.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I actually liked "Rooster COgburn" better than "True Grit" to be honest, but I have sworn a blood oath to never speak ill of The Duke, and by gawd, pilgrims, I'm gonna keep it, just as sure as shootin'.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I saw it Christmas day with my wife. We both thought it was better than the original.

How could in not be Glen Campbell wasn't in this one!!

This version follows the book closer and the characters' personalities are also closer to what they were in the novel.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    C'mon do we really need to remake every decent movie that was ever made.

Jeff Bridges playing a role immortalized by John Wayne?

They already killed the Omega Man, The Longest Yard & Walking Tall, now True Grit..Please Do Not make any Old Yeller remakes.

I want some of my childhood memories to remain. Someone needs to tell Hollywood to make some original scripts and leave the classics alone.:soapbox:

I hope he's a kinder, gentler, Rooster Cogburn more in touch with his own feelings and the feelings of those around him.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i never saw the origional, i just saw true grit a little bit ago. its was pretty good until the ending. how it ended really took away from the movie over all. maybe a 4-5 on a scale of 1-10

jake

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Very good western. I enjoyed it. No it is not a John Wayne movie and it does not try to be which is why I like it. I love the Duke and no one can be the Duke but the Duke so for a re-make it is very good. It stands on its own for sure.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    i never saw the origional, i just saw true grit a little bit ago. its was pretty good until the ending. how it ended really took away from the movie over all. maybe a 4-5 on a scale of 1-10

jake

How can you not enjoy a one armed women walking away while they played Leaning on the Everlasting arms.:D

Top Bottom