• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Love your set-up, OP! I've recently picked up an M&P Core and purchased the same RMR06. I've put almost 500 rounds through it, without losing zero, but still am adjusting. Not sure if I will ever be faster than using the iron sights, but it sure is an abolute blast to shoot and definitely helps me become a better shooter at self-defense distances as well as longer range shooting!

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    smeagol.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Initial impressions are that this thing is going to take some getting used to. The dot is cool and all, but the handgun is a MUCH less stable platform than a long gun, and the RMR shows you EVERYTHING you're doing wrong. :D

I had to laugh at how similar our experiences have been. This quote was from my review of Rookie's RMR'd M&P ( https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/252827-considering-red-dot-my-defensive-pistol.html ) --

esrice said:
    One thing I remembered from my previous experience with a red dot on a pistol, however, was that every single tiny thing that disturbed (traditional) sight alignment is magnified when looking at the dot. Even the smallest movements would send the dot over to the left or right, up or down. Ultimately this is a great thing, but it really takes some getting used to. It forces you to focus on applying the fundamentals correctly.

So based on that, do you think having a RMR on your pistol will make you a better shooter with iron sights?

A red dot on a pistol won't, by itself, make you a better shooter. What it WILL do, is show you with startling clarity just how bad you are applying the fundamentals. This is a good thing, however, because it will also show you when you ARE applying them correctly.

Think of it like a magnified scope on a rifle. Such a scope doesn't make your rifle more accurate or you a better trigger puller, but it does allow you to see your target in a new and different way, thereby increasing your chances of hitting it.

A red dot on a pistol eliminates one step of the "align front and rear sights, align sights on target, pull trigger" process to just "align dot on target, pull trigger". Any time you can simplify a process its a good thing.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Improving my grip, trigger control and recoil control to get better results with the dot will make me a better shooter PERIOD.

It's almost as if the RMR has a tiny bit of magnification (like a 1.1x rather than a true 1x). When I look through it, there's a little bit of image distortion vs. the naked eye. Just enough to be distracting.

Dang Man....You get some very cool toys there buddy!

Top Bottom