• ...and so much more!
  • fnl388w

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Gary
    I just bought my first revolver! :rockwoot:

I have been a semi-auto fan so far and have limited experience with wheel guns (have shot a few.38/.357 and .44 mags, but not a lot). Any tips/recommendations from you wheel gun guys out there? BTW, my new toy is a 6" Taurus Model 44 in .44 Mag/.44 Special. :draw:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    ,44 Mag..

Do you reload? If not, it will be a costly caliber to run.
    I enjoy my 9 1/2" SuperRedHawk+a H&R .44 rifle.
    It is a good caliber, but you NEED to reload to get the most out of it..Bill.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I currently do not reload, but have been wanting to learn. Any recommendations on classes or books?
    honestly, how often do you plan on shooting?
    reloading only saves money for the people who shoot alot.
    if you shoot 2 times a month or less, reloading tools and supplies will not save you money. you will spend more in fact.
    walmart cheap fmjs and go shooting.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    honestly, how often do you plan on shooting?
    reloading only saves money for the people who shoot alot.
    if you shoot 2 times a month or less, reloading tools and supplies will not save you money. you will spend more in fact.
    walmart cheap fmjs and go shooting.

Saving money is only one aspect of reloading. Often times you can get more performance out of a specific firearm than you will get with factory ammo.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Get an older S&W combat magnum that doesn't have the Hillary Hole. You will love it. :)

Also, there are some great .22LR wheel guns....like the Ruger Single 6 or Single 10. And they are cheap to shoot.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Saving money is only one aspect of reloading. Often times you can get more performance out of a specific firearm than you will get with factory ammo.
    its also how an inexperianced person removes their hand.
    reloading is not for everybody. just because somebody gets a 44 mag, that is not enough of a reason to reload.
    now if he is shooting everyday, then by all means learn how to reload.
    but learn the right way, from someone who has done it for years.

fnl388w

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Gary
    Reloading is always an option, but richardraw316 is right. When I worked at the Atterbury Shooting Range back in 2009, I watched a reloaded Long Colt .45 destroy a brand new revolver. It was from his first batch of reloads he did by himself. I have seen many a person increase performance, but a nice 10" group at 50 yards from the sand bags and a 4" at 25 yards will make me happy! (Of course, tighter is better...) Thanks guys!

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I taught myself to reload. I got a single stage Lee press and cranked out a few trays of ammo every week. Once I had the basics down and made sure I was enjoyint it, I stepped up to a progressive. I started with .40 S&W and .38 special.

A revolver is a great way to learn to reload. Cartridge length, a little to conservative on the powder, a less than perfect crimp, all those can lead to malfunctions in a semi-auto but a revolver will keep on chugging.

Especially if you stick to .44 special reloads, you shouldn't have to worry about making a round too hot and hurting yourself.

Honestly, its not rocket surgery. You just need a press kit, some calipers, and one of those plastic hammer looking thingies that pulls the bullet back apart if you screw up (and you will) and seat a bullet too deep or something. The book that comes with a Lee set pretty well explains it.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I taught myself to reload. I got a single stage Lee press and cranked out a few trays of ammo every week. Once I had the basics down and made sure I was enjoyint it, I stepped up to a progressive. I started with .40 S&W and .38 special.

A revolver is a great way to learn to reload. Cartridge length, a little to conservative on the powder, a less than perfect crimp, all those can lead to malfunctions in a semi-auto but a revolver will keep on chugging.

Especially if you stick to .44 special reloads, you shouldn't have to worry about making a round too hot and hurting yourself.

Honestly, its not rocket surgery. You just need a press kit, some calipers, and one of those plastic hammer looking thingies that pulls the bullet back apart if you screw up (and you will) and seat a bullet too deep or something. The book that comes with a Lee set pretty well explains it.
    ok now break that down to cost.
    i dont reload, so i have no idea what all the things you listed are.
    so if you could, put a price on each peace. add it all together including brass, bullets, powder, and primer.
    and see if it is cheaper than.
    50 rd box - 44 Special PMC 180 grain Hollow Point Ammo 44SB | SGAmmo.com

i am not against reloading. in fact i thought about doing it as a hobby.
    but i stand behind what i said, reloading is not for everyone, and it can be very dangerous.
    not counting where you keep your reloading gear. you have to bring flamable/explosive material into your home. Lead is poisonous.
    so the new questions.
    do you have a well ventilated room you can dedicate to this?
    a fair amount of start up capitol.
    shoot alot of ammo almost on a daily basis.
    if you said no to any of this, then reloading is not for you.
    i had all of this said to me by someone who does alot of reloading. its just not worth it.
    my opinion, and other peoples aswell.
    :twocents:

fnl388w

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Gary
    Does anybody have any recommendations in terms of accessories? Speed loaders, sights, scopes, holsters (if I want to act like Dirty Harry!) What do you think I need???

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Does anybody have any recommendations in terms of accessories? Speed loaders, sights, scopes, holsters (if I want to act like Dirty Harry!) What do you think I need???

To act like Dirty Harry, you just need 5 fired rounds and 1 unfired round. Then just ask people if they feel lucky. :D

What are you wanting to do with the revolver?

Carry for defense - Speed loader or two is a good idea. Scope generally isn't used.

Hunt with it - Scope will make you capable at a longer distance with less practice. Speed loaders aren't really needed.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    ok now break that down to cost.
    i dont reload, so i have no idea what all the things you listed are.
    so if you could, put a price on each peace. add it all together including brass, bullets, powder, and primer.
    and see if it is cheaper than.
    50 rd box - 44 Special PMC 180 grain Hollow Point Ammo 44SB | SGAmmo.com

i am not against reloading. in fact i thought about doing it as a hobby.
    but i stand behind what i said, reloading is not for everyone, and it can be very dangerous.
    not counting where you keep your reloading gear. you have to bring flamable/explosive material into your home. Lead is poisonous.
    so the new questions.
    do you have a well ventilated room you can dedicate to this?
    a fair amount of start up capitol.
    shoot alot of ammo almost on a daily basis.
    if you said no to any of this, then reloading is not for you.
    i had all of this said to me by someone who does alot of reloading. its just not worth it.
    my opinion, and other peoples aswell.
    :twocents:

Well, unless you are melting wheel weights for lead, ventilation and concerns of lead poisoning aren't really well founded. I buy copper jacketed bullets to reload. There's no lead flaking around.

If you are concerned about explosive items in your home, you shouldn't be bringing in ammo, either. It is, after all, only the combination of the individual items being used to reload. A pound of powder and a few boxes of primers aren't any more dangerous than the equivalent rounds of ammo.

Start up cash is pretty limited. A Lee press costs $110 on midway. Figure around $200 by the time you get calipers, a scale, a few trays, and dies for .44s.

Brass is reusable, especially in a revolver. If you already have the brass, you can load them up for about 35-40 cents a bullet, depending on bullet and powder.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Well, unless you are melting wheel weights for lead, ventilation and concerns of lead poisoning aren't really well founded. I buy copper jacketed bullets to reload. There's no lead flaking around.

If you are concerned about explosive items in your home, you shouldn't be bringing in ammo, either. It is, after all, only the combination of the individual items being used to reload. A pound of powder and a few boxes of primers aren't any more dangerous than the equivalent rounds of ammo.

Start up cash is pretty limited. A Lee press costs $110 on midway. Figure around $200 by the time you get calipers, a scale, a few trays, and dies for .44s.

Brass is reusable, especially in a revolver. If you already have the brass, you can load them up for about 35-40 cents a bullet, depending on bullet and powder.
    most reloader of 44 mag seem to load lead. unjacketed.
    yes ammo is dangerous too, but i cant blow up my home because i accidently droped a lit cigerette into a ammo box.
    you forgot the litature on how to reload.
    I taught myself, is like the first thing the nurse at the hospital hears as the man with a missing finger or hand gets out of the ambulance.

Top Bottom