• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    So you are saying you used to use the press safery (automatic) prime, and now you switched to the new ergo hand tool? Simce you have to take the shells off the press after decapping in order to tumble them, so hand priming in bulk after that makes perfect sense I think. What are your thoughts on this if you don't mind?

Some people tumble with the spent primers still in the cases, and for them, it makes more sense to deprime/prime in one step. But everything I've read saysto deprime before cleaning brass, so that is what I do, and it makes something like the Safety Prime seem almost useless. I guess decapping before cleaning makes the media last a bit longer, and more importantly, helps to clean the primer pocket some. So it seems like those who are a fan of priming on the up stroke after decapping should might disagree with that.

And again, I admit that I like to hand prime as a separate stage so I can have prepped cases ready to go, so I can focus more attention on the powder and seating stages when I get around to it. Right now for example, I'm waiting on some new tools, like a headspace gauge and the Uniflow, before I drop powder and sear mu .223 cartridges, but I have 500 cases already deprimed/sized, cleaned, and primed.

My mistake, I meant to say I used the AutoPrime and just recently got the Ergo Prime.

The Classic Turret does a pretty good job priming - I don't have the Safety Prime, I set the primers in by hand one at a time when I prime on the press, otherwise I hand prime. I batch load on the Turret and when I want to go "fast" I have a progressive press.

I almost always tumble before decapping. It's too much work the other way.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Buying a single stage is not a "mistake." It's a good and inexpensive learning tool, and more to the point, for many of us reloading itself is a relaxing hobby and don't feel the need to rush the process. It may not be what everyone wants or needs, but it's never a waste of money and there are plenty of reloaders who have tens and hundreds of thousands of rounds loaded all on a single stage who have no desire to switch.

I think you missed my point. The turret is really a single stage press too, and it only costs maybe $50 more without all the bells and whistles. My mistake was buying the plain breech lock single stage, when the turret has some serious advantages for pennies more. I really didn't understand the advantages, but if you read this whole thread they are explained. Basically it just makes reloading easier and funner, while still allowing me to be a total cheapskate. I'll be the first to admit that its all overwhelming to a noob, because I'm a noob, and that's why I bought the simplest single stage. If another noob just has a little faith and take the advice in this thread to buy the Lee Classic Turret, then I think theh will be glad they took the time to learn.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That explains your position better, and you're right to say that if someone is going to buy only one press, they would be further ahead to buy the Lee Classic Turret over a less expensive single-stage. However, when it comes to making very high-quality match ammunition for bolt-action rifles, I will always choose the strength and rigidity of a quality single-stage press. For my needs, that's an RCBS RockChucker, but there are several other good single-stage presses available. (I do not count the Lee Breech Lock among these.)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I think you missed my point.

No, I got your point. I rejected your premise. YOU found buying a single stage to be a waste, but not everyone will.

I've helped lots of people start to reload (hundreds at this point) and I take a number of factors into teaching them. Some people will be served well by starting with a turret press, others will be fine with a single stage press. Your blanket approach simply does not apply to everyone, just to YOUR needs.

I see this with most things I teach: a novice comes along and asks, and dozens of "experts" jump in and tell them exactly what they need because that's what works for *them* so of course it will work for everyone, right? Wrong.

This is one reason I strongly encourage people to take Andrew's class at Profire, and one reason I promote his reloading shop, he's a good teacher and works with the students to match what THEY need to suit THEIR temperments.

Want to know what's sitting in my reloading building? Two turret presses, three single stage presses, and one hand press. And ALL of them get used regularly.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ok Im not going the hand press route or really looking at any single stages any more but would jumping to a lee pro 1000 be a good idea
    Amazon.com: Lee Precision 40 S and W Pro 1000 Handloading Press (Multi): Sports & Outdoors
    It doesnt seem to be much more than a turret kit and would allow faster reloading or does a progressive have to be bought for each caliber i plan to shoot?

Otherwise I was looking at a complete kit from kempfs guns for around a little less.
    https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

or would profire arms be any cheaper on the equipment as I am planning on taking his course soon.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would stay well away from the Lee Progressive presses for the novice loader. They are finicky and require a much greater understanding of what you are doing.
    ALso what do you mean by finicky like it doesnt hold settings or are you constantly tweaking something? I kinda like to be able to mess with mechanical items its kinda of part of the fun for me. I looked and it didnt seem too bad or am i missing something when watching all the videos on tips for the press?

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    ALso what do you mean by finicky like it doesnt hold settings or are you constantly tweaking something? I kinda like to be able to mess with mechanical items its kinda of part of the fun for me. I looked and it didnt seem too bad or am i missing something when watching all the videos on tips for the press?

Finicky in that it's real easy to mischarge a round, screw up the priming, and having settings wander. All things that an experienced reloader knows how to deal with, but the novice will have a much harder time catching.

With a single stage press you can do about 50-75 pistol rounds an hour once you get the hang of it. With a turret press you can do 150-200 an hour. While it's possible to crank out 300-400/hour with the 1000 or the Loadmaster, they require a lot more tinkering to keep running properly which cuts down on your production. If a novice is hell-bent on starting with a progressive press, the Dillon 550 or 650 is the best bet, followed by the Hornady LNL.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Finicky in that it's real easy to mischarge a round, screw up the priming, and having settings wander. All things that an experienced reloader knows how to deal with, but the novice will have a much harder time catching.

With a single stage press you can do about 50-75 pistol rounds an hour once you get the hang of it. With a turret press you can do 150-200 an hour. While it's possible to crank out 300-400/hour with the 1000 or the Loadmaster, they require a lot more tinkering to keep running properly which cuts down on your production. If a novice is hell-bent on starting with a progressive press, the Dillon 550 or 650 is the best bet, followed by the Hornady LNL.
    So realisticallly a novice would only get maybe 20-50 more rounds per hour out of the pro 1000 compared to a classic turret. Im guessing a turret would be more consistent as well.
    Now I was looking at the Kempf total kit with the pro auto powder measure as that seems like a better and cheaper alternative to start with so i would have 100-175 to spend on powder, bullets and brass and could load my first 1000 rounds for about 400 or about what it would cost me in a store. and then only be .17 or less a round afterwards

I saw most people have the lee turret and seem to like the setup so ill just go that route instead of the progressive right now.

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In a short (4) days, you have thrown out ideas about the Lee Hand press, the breech Lock, and now a full progressive... You also stated in the OP you were hoping to stay under $300.00.... If funds are going to be somewhat limited, I'd forget about the progressive simply because they consume the high priced consumables too quick...

The best advice I have seen so far in this thread has been looking into taking a class offered at Profile... I would do this before investing in something that might not serve your needs the best. I would highly suspect your decision would be much clearer after his class.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I just got my new Lee Classic Turret all setup and configured for 9mm. I'm blown away by how much better it is than a regular single stage. The auto indexing is smooth and easy to advance. The Lee Pro Auto Disk powder measure was a joy, and I'm so glad y'all talked me into that option. It is so close to being a progressive, yet almost as simple as a single stage, and really it costs anout the same as a Lee single stage (that is to say, about $150 for the basics, which is about a third the cost of all other brands', single stages).

I had a couple hundred primed cases that I finished off on the turret. Wow. It is so much faster and it is actually enjoyable watching it do most of the work for me. It took about 5 seconds per bullet to flare/charge, seat, and crimp. The auto disk powder measure was right on the whole time, so I didn't have to fiddle with anything. Now that I have my 9mm dies setup on the turret, I shouldn't have to fiddle with them again either, even if I change calibers. (I have another turret that I'll aetup my .223 dies in). The term term "set it and forget it" applies well here. The turret exceeds all expectations, and will almost certainly be the last press I ever buy.

If anyone is looking for a new low cost press, you really cannot do better than the Lee Classic Turret, especially if you plan on loading pistol ammo (four stages). Single stages work fine, but putting a shell in, pulling the lever, taking the shell out, and repeating hundreds of times is not nearly as enjoyable as working on one bullet at a time, and not having to remove it from the shell carrier until its done.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I just got my new Lee Classic Turret all setup and configured for 9mm. I'm blown away by how much better it is than a regular single stage. The auto indexing is smooth and easy to advance. The Lee Pro Auto Disk powder measure was a joy, and I'm so glad y'all talked me into that option. It is so close to being a progressive, yet almost as simple as a single stage, and really it costs anout the same as a Lee single stage (that is to say, about $150 for the basics, which is about a third the cost of all other brands', single stages).

I had a couple hundred primed cases that I finished off on the turret. Wow. It is so much faster and it is actually enjoyable watching it do most of the work for me. It took about 5 seconds per bullet to flare/charge, seat, and crimp. The auto disk powder measure was right on the whole time, so I didn't have to fiddle with anything. Now that I have my 9mm dies setup on the turret, I shouldn't have to fiddle with them again either, even if I change calibers. (I have another turret that I'll aetup my .223 dies in). The term term "set it and forget it" applies well here. The turret exceeds all expectations, and will almost certainly be the last press I ever buy.

If anyone is looking for a new low cost press, you really cannot do better than the Lee Classic Turret, especially if you plan on loading pistol ammo (four stages). Single stages work fine, but putting a shell in, pulling the lever, taking the shell out, and repeating hundreds of times is not nearly as enjoyable as working on one bullet at a time, and not having to remove it from the shell carrier until its done.
    Cool after reading the thread fully I was thinking about getting the exact same setup as well as after doing some research the progressives have some issues i want to avoid like misalignment or mistiming issues that can be difficult to solve even on dillons. Plus after watching a few videos really a classic turret has almost all the advantages of a progressive but less to worry about as there's no casing feeder or shell pate to mess with when changing calibers.

I did notice that the powder disc are considered inaccurate by some and to instead get the Lee adjustable charge bar is this really a case most of the time?

Im also now realizing that there's also now not just a shortage on manufactured ammo itself but components as well as powder and primers are hard to find it seems or atleast harder to find than a manufactured box of .40sw.

I also noticed that the kit from kempfs truely isnt a full kit or atleast for my purpose as Ill be needing a case trimmer, deburring tools, bullet puller and powder scale as well atleast.

Last edited:

GeoffM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Another huge +1 for the Lee Classic Turret Press!! I have been loading .40S&W and .357 on it for a few weeks now and it was extremely easy and fun for me, a total noob to reloading, to get up and running. Lee products are very high-quality for the money. I am super impressed with their products. I really took my time researching and studying the different products and techniques out there and strongly agree this is probably one of the "best" setups to begin with for all reasons stated. Something about shooting your own hand-loaded ammo is so satisfying!! I just wanna shoot even more now! hah hah hah....

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I did notice that the powder disc are considered inaccurate by some and to instead get the Lee adjustable charge bar is this really a case most of the time?

I think the only complaint, in my mind, with the discs is that they aren't adjustable. So you go from 4.0 gr to 4.3 gr, nothing in between. I use the double disk kit for 223, and the adjustable charge bar for 9mm and 45 acp. The adjustable charge bar is a great addition for 8 bucks or whatever, but it isn't 100% necessary.

Great decision to go with the classic turret, I can guarantee you will not be disappointed.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I think the only complaint, in my mind, with the discs is that they aren't adjustable. So you go from 4.0 gr to 4.3 gr, nothing in between.

They also don't meter some powders very well, but for plinking pistol rounds in the middle of the load-range that's no big deal.

I have stacks of the disks as I have about a dozen meters, and when I need to tweak the load in between two of the volume settings, I take sandpaper to open up the next size down.

Newhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    Kouts
    I'm glad to hear Lee got it together. I have an old Lee and i couldnt get it to drop a good powder charge so it has been collecting dust. The mods. for powder are a good idea. I think i just found a weekend project. I have a bunch of 9 mm i want to run, i was going to do them in my single stage but we all know that sucks for large Quanitys of pistol rounds. I have heard dillion has been having problems lately. That stinks i allways heard they were great. I have an old Star machine works press and i love it but to buy lots of tool heads for caliber conversions isnt cheap. I was going to buy dillion but i think I'll research it now that Lee is a good machine.

Top Bottom