• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    I went and bought a cheap rod and reel from Dick's today. I've never been fishing before and wanted to know if anyone had an opinion on Eagle Creek. Is it a decent place to fish or is there someplace better around Indy? What sort of fish could I expect to find in Eagle Creek and what would be the best bait or lures?

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Just my opinion and not meaning to flame on anybody who likes to fish there BUT
    if just starting to fish try and go somewhere in a more natural setting without the street pipes and sewer back up. There are parts of Eagle Creek that are downright funky. Those parts are not where the pretty houses are but they share the same water. Part of fishing is the ability to get outside and get away. A 12 foot sewer pipe pouring water into the lake and a sewer valve pushing poo out because of the volume of excess waste is just a bummer on the fishing mojo. I used to swim out there and after having fished it just can't imagine getting in that water again.

Almost all waterways in Indiana serve some municipal purpose but maybe try the white river a little north of the city. Fall creek up north the driftwood down south and brookville and the whitewater river. The whitewater is an exceptionally clean river for Indiana and can have some good small mouth and channel cat.

Pick up some rooster tails, plastic worms, jigs, spinner baits, and some red wigglers and night crawlers and you will catch something just about anywhere.

There are others on this board that can help you much more than I as to getting started now and going out for spring crappie or bass.

I just think that if you are going to try fishing you should give it a shot in as natural environment as possible and if you do and you have a little luck you will be forever "hooked"

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    In a boat or shore fishing?

Eagle Creek Res. is well known for its fishing. There's a lake map atlas available at Dicks or Walmart that tells you all the hot spots and what types can be found.
    If you're limited to bank fishing you can cast along laydowns (fallen trees) riprap (rock hauled in for the bank) and weedbeds for bass. A shallow diving crankbait, spinnerbait, or even plastic worms will do well. Work the plastic worms slooooowwww.

The old hook and bobber loaded with worms will bring in bluegills. Smaller hooks and smaller bobbers mean more fish.

This time of the year, the hook and bobber loaded with minnows will get you crappie, but look for laydowns or submerged brush. Often you need to get the minnow right in amoung the branches. Longer crappie poles help for this.

Early morning and evening, fishing with stinkbaits or shicken livers can get you some nice channel catfish. Soak them with garlic salt and you may get lucky. Use a circle hook.

Have fun!
    Alan

gunrunner0320

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Anderson
    try shad gut for cat fish to me it stays on the hook longer then liver you can find it at the bait barn its in indy may be in your ph book they have a web site to good luck and have fun o ya i use a heavy test line for catfish but you dont have to eather way set back and enjoy the out doors joe

All_Clear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I'll share a few pics... Pulled these from the retention pond in the neighborhood, some of the best fish are found in these. Most neighborhoods stocked these ponds once they were finished, most are private to homeowners only but i've dropped into a few around. These pics are from the one across the street from me.

Some nice 5lb + cats in there and most bass are a few lbs. Lots of fun.

For the cats i buy hearts and gizzards packs and soak them with my livers. Then toss some liver out to attract them and put a gizzard on your hook, I use circle hooks. You can use that gizzard all day long they are so tough.

For the bass i use the circle hook and jig plastic worms, also top water baits once its warm.

Nathan

PIC-0051-1.jpg

PIC-0076.jpg

PIC-0053.jpg

PIC-0054.jpg

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I agree with staying away from the funky waters of Eagle Creek. Go support a state park that isn't so heavily used or find someone that lives on a lake that can teach you one day.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Fished Eagle Creek quite a bit last year, was probably the worst lake I've fished in Indiana. The White River produced a lot more fish for me. Granted, I mainly fish for largemouth and smallies, but man that was a rough lake.

Downtown at Broad Ripple has decent mix of both and Geist is probably the best lake "in" Indy for bass fishing. Monroe, Raccoon, Boggs, Lake Lemon are all within a decent drive and offer pretty good fishing.

And :+1: for retention ponds.

Mean Streak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    You can always try Eagle Creek Park. The lakes in there are stocked by the resevoir when it over flows and has alot of crappie and bluegills. Bass are also inther along with catfish but if you purchased a cheap rod and reel you will want to stick to samller fish. Worms and minnows work well anytime.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i would advise to find someone with a stocked pond... learn to fish there before you hit the big waters.... you will learn alot that will help when you hit the lakes... plus in my experience you will catch way more fish pond fishing.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I suggest driving out to the country, find a quiet bridge with a creek under it, pull over, walk down under the bridge and throw in some bait (worms are probably best right now - but don't use bobbers). Throw it out there and reel it in slowly. Near concrete walls under the bridge, fallen trees, and large rocks are your best bet. Fish generally like to hide so you have to get the bait in there close. You'll probably have to get your feet wet (wear boots) and lose a few worms getting hung up, but it takes practice to drop it right where you want it so be patient... you'll get the hang of it.

I've caught more fish that way than in any lake... ever. And believe me, I've learned a thing or two about fishing.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    FIRST......
    Go out to just add water...let the salesman tell you what you want, take all of his advise and get all of the bells and whistles he has to offer. should be at least a $20,000 boat.

Then go to Gander or Dicks, buy the most expensive rods and reels you can find. You need about 7-10 (cause you never know when you might want to fish a tourney).

Tackle is tough so buy about 3 or 4 of everything you see and in all colors. What you need fishing line and since it comes in different strengths (known as lbs test) you need another 20 rods and reels 1 for each line with a different bait.

You need a net a radio 2 GPS doplor radar fish finders, out riggers and...listen this is very crutial....a big self cooling beer cooler.

When you have all of this PM me and I will bring the beer and we will go fishing. At this point it doesn't really matter if catch any fish, b/c with enough beer we will always have the fish story!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    FIRST......
    Go out to just add water...let the salesman tell you what you want, take all of his advise and get all of the bells and whistles he has to offer. should be at least a $20,000 boat.

Then go to Gander or Dicks, buy the most expensive rods and reels you can find. You need about 7-10 (cause you never know when you might want to fish a tourney).

Tackle is tough so buy about 3 or 4 of everything you see and in all colors. What you need fishing line and since it comes in different strengths (known as lbs test) you need another 20 rods and reels 1 for each line with a different bait.

You need a net a radio 2 GPS doplor radar fish finders, out riggers and...listen this is very crutial....a big self cooling beer cooler.

When you have all of this PM me and I will bring the beer and we will go fishing. At this point it doesn't really matter if catch any fish, b/c with enough beer we will always have the fish story!

Do you even know what an OUTRIGGER is? ha ha.... how come you never bring any beer when we go fishing?

tgent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    I finally made it fishing for the first time today. Didn't catch anything but I did manage to get my line tangled up pretty good. I decided to go a pond in my sister's housing edition since it wasn't very far. I used live worms and I think the fish just ate the worm right off the hook because every time I reeled it in the worm was gone. Next time I think I'll use artificial bait or do as redneckmedic suggested and buy a $ 20,000.00 boat. That ought to do it!

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I have gone twice this year so far. I don't really have any idea what I am doing, but I love being outside and enjoying the nice weather. both my trips have been to eagle creek reservoir so far. Not the nicest place, but its close by.

tgent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Yeah it was nice being outside. I think I'll give that pond another try as soon as I untangle my line. I know that there are fish in there because someone caught one while I was there. I think I might also take All_Clear's advice about using the gizzards and liver.

glock 27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    elkhart
    fishing

Cannot believe no one down there offered to take you fishing,i would if you lived closer. That tangled line does it look like a bird nest at the front of the reel? If so it sounds like you bought a bait casting reel and thats not good for starting out, i suggest you get a closed face reel until you master the art of casting. Then try the baitcaster .

All_Clear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I caught 4 bass yesterday, then went catfishing with my wife last night, I caught 3 she caught like 5 or 6. :dunno:

If your around Avon, give me a buzz.

Nathan

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Cannot believe no one down there offered to take you fishing,i would if you lived closer. That tangled line does it look like a bird nest at the front of the reel? If so it sounds like you bought a bait casting reel and thats not good for starting out, i suggest you get a closed face reel until you master the art of casting. Then try the baitcaster .

As far as I can tell he hasn't said where he is from.

Top Bottom