• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Blkbrd11XX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Hello everyone. Total newb here. Ive only ever shot one pistol and it was an old German military type. I havent a clue as to what it was, but I recall frantically thinking it was going to blow up in my face and how horrible it would be to "go" that way. Ive always pictured a much grander exit for myself! I didnt grow up around guns, hunting, sport shooting, etc...so I never had the urge or desire, until recently. It seemed that in too many instances, all of a sudden, my immediate world was getting interrupted by people being robbed, accosted, or had their lives threatened. Anyway, I applied 2 weeks ago for my permit and then the Govt shutdown began so I resigned myself to the fact that itd be a while. I jumped on the net, looking for all the info I could find for my first purchase, and this was one of the sites I came across. I Loved the "vibe" of the place and how informative everyone was, especially to newcomers like myself. Im pretty certain I will ask some dumb questions, so Ill apologize for that up front. To my surprise, I received my permit a couple of days ago, so Im eager to get rolling! My first priority is personal protection, then get into some hunting with my boys.

Heres my game plan: feel free to comment/add suggestions
    -buy a gun safe... I can see this thing getting addictive so it may be a large one
    -read through this forum and others for pistol/ammo/accessory info
    -visit some local gun shops now and the gun show in a few weeks to hold as many different models as I can
    -purchase, after hopefully, having fired a few different models
    -take some classes-hopefully I can find one that will include some of my family members as well
    -find a shooting range and practice, practice, practice
    -make my next purchase
    -and then my next
    -and then my next...

koutsevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    San Pierre, IN
    :welcome: to :ingo: from the NWI! Buy the biggest safe you can. A gun safe is like a garage. No matter how big, it is never big enough. Definitely recommend firing some different guns before committing to one. It can be addictive. There are so many guns to own!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Unless you are rich, you might want to wait on getting a big safe. You can start off with a GunVault Mini or Micro with biometric, which will allow you to stow your home defense pistol safely, yet get to it quickly if needed. Even with a big gun safe you'd still need something like that.

Buy your pistol now, and take your class now. You don't need a class to buy or to visit the range. I would advise against having a loaded gun in your home prior to taking a course and gaining some serious self control (learning to check the chamber is empty EVERY time you handle it), based on your current experience level. Make sure you commit to being absolutely paranoid about safety and following the four rules before you even take your class, and use the class to reinforce that and ask questions about it. If you weren't raised with guns this will be the hardest part, because there is zero room for error.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    :welcome:
    You've come to great place for support & advice (even if some may be off the wall).:):
    Enjoy the forum, make some friends, and shoot! :shoot:
    Best wishes to you and yours!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Welcome to INGO!

Given your lack of knowledge/experience, I'd recommend moving your first training class up to #1. Check out the Tactics and Training forum for trainers who offer the "NRA Basic Pistol" class. You will get a better understanding of firearms and a little bit of hands-on. At that point, you should be more comfortable around firearms due simply to understanding them better. Good luck on your journey. Many of us came to firearms later in life.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The safe thing is a real pain. I've had mine less than a year and it is already bursting at the seams! I can make more room by taking the ammo out but I want to keep it secure as well. So like a laptop computer buy as much safe as you can afford! The rest of you post sounds like a plan to me! Welcome from the NE side of Indy where all the lead has been flying lately, fortunately not in my direction...yet...

Blkbrd11XX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Unless you are rich, you might want to wait on getting a big safe. You can start off with a GunVault Mini or Micro with biometric, which will allow you to stow your home defense pistol safely, yet get to it quickly if needed. Even with a big gun safe you'd still need something like that.

Buy your pistol now, and take your class now. You don't need a class to buy or to visit the range. I would advise against having a loaded gun in your home prior to taking a course and gaining some serious self control (learning to check the chamber is empty EVERY time you handle it), based on your current experience level. Make sure you commit to being absolutely paranoid about safety and following the four rules before you even take your class, and use the class to reinforce that and ask questions about it. If you weren't raised with guns this will be the hardest part, because there is zero room for error.

Im def paranoid...and hate to say it, scared about owning a gun with small kids in the house. Safety is def tops in my mind. Thanks!

Blkbrd11XX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Welcome to INGO!

Given your lack of knowledge/experience, I'd recommend moving your first training class up to #1. Check out the Tactics and Training forum for trainers who offer the "NRA Basic Pistol" class. You will get a better understanding of firearms and a little bit of hands-on. At that point, you should be more comfortable around firearms due simply to understanding them better. Good luck on your journey. Many of us came to firearms later in life.

Excellent! Sounds like a plan..thank you

Blkbrd11XX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Carmel
    The safe thing is a real pain. I've had mine less than a year and it is already bursting at the seams! I can make more room by taking the ammo out but I want to keep it secure as well. So like a laptop computer buy as much safe as you can afford! The rest of you post sounds like a plan to me! Welcome from the NE side of Indy where all the lead has been flying lately, fortunately not in my direction...yet...

Thank you! I work on the eastside(30th/shadeland area) so I know what you mean.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom